logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWMGPA Rankings... a nice big update
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well.

We've finally been able to implement some of the changes I've been looking forward to adding to our SWM Rankings site. First off, you can find it at: http://swm.shift.net.nz/ or http://swm.trogdor.shift-tech.net/

What's changed: well, it looks a little different in the front screen. We've been able to get some stats that look a little more usable than before. Once you've logged in and entered your details (which include your Region), it will then be able to display that in your details (that's why there's only a few folk that have their region specified). It now also shows you your 3pt and 2pt wins as well as your 1pt and 0pt losses! Handy info. (Don't forget that according to how we work out rankings, a 1pt loss is determined by your ability to get half your target winning score.)

The 6m/Dpr/1yr thing still stays the same and just to re-explain what that means; 6m means the amount of games you've played in the last 6m - which currently is all of them. Things will start to get interesting come July 1 as some of the games will start to fall into the Dpr (Depreciation) zone, and then 1yr shows how many games you've had that no longer are able to be counted. (I can explain that further, if anyone needs) Lastly, the Last Tourn. column and Last Game column are just that, the number of days since your last Tier 1 Tournament and your last Ranking Game respectively. Since no Tier 1 Tournaments have been entered yet, no one has that column filled out. Your score/ranking points will only ever be 67% of what it could be without playing a Tier 1 Tournament. (That is why our current #1 Hinkbert has an score of 200 as opposed to a 300 if he had participated in a Tier 1 Tournament and that it had been registered here).

Right! Now for the next bit...

The other significant addition is the Tournaments tab. In here you can setup your Tournaments and enter in scores. You could simply enter each game separately (via the Games tab) but this allows us to do more with the inputed games. Your steps are as follows:

1. Create a Tournament. Simply click on that and fill out the info as best you can. Currently, you can only have one type of game, so if your Tournament is going to have different formats running, you'll have to enter those separately. Also, you'll have to choose a Tournament type. An LGS or Minor Tournament means that it's a local affair and you can go ahead and enter the details and it'll come up in the rankings as soon as. If you, however, choose to select a Regional or a National level Tournament, that means you're asking for Tier 1 status and I will have to approve that. It's a simple process that means we're not getting Tier 1 Tournaments happening everywhere!

2. Setup. Click on the Tournament that you've just entered and that'll take you to the setup screen where you are now able to enter your players one by one; their email (which records them on this site), their faction, squad and map. Once you've entered all that (I'm not sure if you can easily go back and add more so best to do it during or after the Tournament when you know for sure who's in) you're all go for entering scores.

3. Your Tournament is Active! You can now add in results! Once you add in the player, the squad and faction will automatically be chose for you. Just fill out the rest! When you do enter your score in, it will automatically work out your ranking points. Remember: these are for this site! A 3, 2, 1 or a 0 is for these rankings. The 3, 2 and 0 mirror the way you would calculate points under the 3-2 scoring system, but the 1pt is added for ranking purposes! Don't be alarmed!

The only other thing you might see different is that on the Games tab, it displays the results in a slightly different fashion and you can see different groups results and your own. Tournament results currently don't display other than in your own games view.

And that, they say, is that. If you've been involved with running a Regional or any other Tournament, I sincerely hope that you a) find it easy enough to enter the data and b) that this addition hasn't been long in coming (and that you still have the info!). As always, let me know how you are finding it and what we could improve on. The next major step (after some tidying up) is adding in some stats and making it look a little more swish.

It's also worth adding that I'm 17th in the world at the moment... *grin*

Post subject: Re: SWMGPA Rankings... a nice big update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:16 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

At some point I'm going to need to sit down and see how this works, just so I can at some point make it so the pairing software I've been cobbling together can talk to your ranking system. Likely a bit too late for this year's Gencon, since I've got enough to do to iron out the last few features and fix a few bugs regarding my current software.

Post subject: Re: SWMGPA Rankings... a nice big update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:10 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yuss!

Yep, that would rule. Actually, you need to speak to my programmer legend Lloyd. The way I see it is that if it's easy peasy for someone to simply use your software and then, at the click of a button, all the info just magically wanders through... it would encourage folk to use both more. That rules.