logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Owensboro Regional Scum and Villiany previews
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Before I share with you what everyone who came to the Owensboro regional has already seen, I want to talk about the concept behind the stat card for the unique character that was shown off today. When we started working on V-set 4, one of the things I knew needed to be done was to bring Rebels back into the game. With the advent of Bastila Shan and some other pieces, the faction as WotC designed it was pretty much done. That was even demonstrated at the tournament today, as out of 14 players, there were exactly ZERO Rebel squads. There were a handful of Republic and Old Republic squads, a Mando squad, a New Republic squad, and an Imperial squad. The final round was OR vs. Empire, but more on that in a different thread.

What matters here is the preview. In considering what could be done for the Rebel faction, I posed the question to the rest of the design team - what would the Rebels do if Darth Vader had had Advanced Battle Meditation? David Weeks summed it up best when he wrote back, "They'd go blow up the Death Star anyway because they're the Rebels." That was it, in a nutshell. In the face of overwhelming certainty of defeat, the Rebels could band together and go do what needed to be done. And that became the focus of where I wanted to take the Rebels. I started pouring over different ways to do that before settling on the concept of making the OT-centric characters the heart of the faction again. I knew that I also wanted to do it in a way that didn't simultaneously alienate existing concepts like Rieekan and Elite Rebel Commandos. Rather, I wanted to create something that encouraged Rebel play again, breathed life into the existing uniques of the faction, and didn't just supplant what was already out there.

Then the idea struck me: what if we could do something to make the old Rebel versions of certain characters more appealing? And thus began what I am not ashamed to admit was the single most heated and often times anger-filled debate of the entire V-set process. It wasn't easy convincing others about the direction, but with enough prodding and encouragement to at least test the idea - and with several compromises and revisions of the concept throughout the process - we finally settled on what became a very appealing idea to everyone involved (including me, because I was almost ready to scrap the idea completely at one point). I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I hope most if not all of you are as well.

So, without further adieu, I present to you: Princess Leia, Rebel Commando

Quote:
Princess Leia, Rebel Commando
Cost 19

HP 60
DEF 15
ATK +8
DAM 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot [Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy]
Cunning Attack [+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round]
Stealth [If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets]
Versatility [At the start of the skirmish, after set-up, you may replace this character with another character of an equal or lesser cost who counts as Leia. The chosen replacement gains one of this character's other special abilities. If the replacement's cost is at least 5 less than this character's cost, she also gains this character's commander effect.]

Force Powers
Force 2
Surprise Attack [Force 2; Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can make an immediate attack]

Commander Effect
Unique Rebel allies within 6 squares get +10 Damage while this character is wounded.

The other preview was the SpecForce Technician.
Quote:
SpecForce Technician
Cost 15 Points

HP 30
DEF 14
ATK 1
DAM 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack [Can attack only adjacent enemies]
Blaster Upgrade [Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 damage gain Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)]
Munitions Supplies [Replaces turn: Choose 1 adjacent ally to gain Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11) for the rest of the skirmish]
Rig Blaster [Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 damage gain Jolt (An enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11. Huge and larger characters ignore this effect.)]
Stealth [If this character has cover, it does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets]

"Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder."

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Owensboro Regional Scum and Villiany previews
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I love the new Leia brings back alot of the old leias and some of the old chewies/Hans. Han Hoth is not a bad shooter with her.

Think I would play Kyle or Han cannon now. The Rebels finally have other shooters than Commandos and Han's worth playing.

It brings DR E back into play which he was never a tier 1 piece.

I now which we would of done a tournament 200 but you have to play 40% Vset 4 at gencon o well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:48 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think Momaw Nadon would be a better option than Dr. E for hurting Leia. Combining her CE with Leia, Senator, or giving Diplomat a CE could be quite fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

ooooooooo you could play him and change to Leia RH. Ok I like that idea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

i actually think you could do very well with a commando theme squad with her. or even in a NR with jacen and winter could be great. a good shooter plus she amkes both of them more powerful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like 'em both. I haven't played much since Advanced Battle Meditation came out but I like the limited customization and killer CE that this new Leia offers, and the non-CE boosts from the technician seem fun too. Thanks for thinking of the Rebels again.

New Leia in NR via Jacen might be fun. Momaw + Leia RH = gotta think about how such a mouse-mower would work.

Please do something for Chewie, poor fuzzball hasn't been playable since Universe IMO, and Lando could use a bump too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
DarthJawa wrote:
i actually think you could do very well with a commando theme squad with her. or even in a NR with jacen and winter could be great. a good shooter plus she amkes both of them more powerful.

Not as powerful as you might hope. This CE doesn't work with NR for the same reason A&E Leia doesn't the specific wording of the CE "Rebel". Works for Vong though. :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

R5Don4 wrote:
DarthJawa wrote:

Not as powerful as you might hope. This CE doesn't work with NR for the same reason A&E Leia doesn't the specific wording of the CE "Rebel". Works for Vong though. :?

And much like Han in Carbonite, you can't use Versatality to switch to another Leia (unless a cheaper NR Leia comes out, which I doubt).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

R5Don4 wrote:
DarthJawa wrote:

whoops missed the Rebel part lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Sithborg wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
DarthJawa wrote:

And much like Han in Carbonite, you can't use Versatality to switch to another Leia (unless a cheaper NR Leia comes out, which I doubt).

So if you use Han in Carbonite in a NR squad you can only bring in Han GH with it? Never knew that. Not that it comes up ever.