logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Eugene Royal Rumble
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Just thought I would share out group play report this weekend because everyone had alot of fun with Royal Rumble. Our play group is a little different than most play groups in that we are 100% private. As long as I have lived in this town there is/was no game shop that supported the game from a play stand point and very little available sales. There are a couple of places were packs could be found but generally Target was the place to go. (especially after the sales.) So the I introduced one friend to the game when I moved here and through him we have introduced the game to scores of other people. WE have never had a constructed tournament where less than 4 show up, the average is 6+. This could just be because of the fact we only run 4-6 a year, including out Annual Terrible Trio Thanksgiving Tournament. Despite this the game has grown for us and we know have 5 regular players and 5 casual players and several who have expressed interest in learning the game.

The original plan for us was to have 1-4 be for Royal Rumble and then 4-10 to run Battle of Hoth. The later i was really looking forward to. Alas we never made it.

When it cam to royal rumble there was apparently a miscommunication in the play group as everyone thought you could only use unique in the game. IT Certainly made it interesting for anyone with a BH ability because it was always on.

I took a couple pictures. (below)

The first one you can see that we set it up with and additional cover spot in the middle and the 2nd one we had 5 start points, (and extra player came late and we changed the starting rooms.) The middle was interesting because before to long we had 6 characters out in the middle. The person who phased in their next set phased in adjacent to people and could go town on their first init.

The Character of the game was Mace, and not mine. One of the players Mace LOTS Did 326 point before getting taken out. (as opposed to mine that did 0 and died to shooters after only moving once.)

It is a really fun format and we will have to try the Epic format as mentioned in the actual report.

As I mentioned before I was pretty dissapointed in not getting to do the Battle of Hoth even though we had alot of fun with Royal Rumble. We were using more or less the Hoth in under and hour squads that were made with some additional rebel forces to make up for the Edition of Blizzard 1... It would have been truley epic,

The Battle of Hoth in 1hour:

(we don’t have enough snow speeders and not sure about canon’s but this is a good start I think. Plus we need to add one more At-at)

Imps =
Blizzard 1 (200)
ATAT(150)
Vader IC (50)
Blizzard Scout 1 (54)
ATST (44)
Probe Droid (8)
6 Snowtroopers (42)
General Veers Hologram

Blizzard 1
Cost 200

HP 350
DEF 15
ATK 0
DAM 0

Special Abilities
Unique [Counts as General Veers]
Accurate Shot [Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy]
Colossal [Large and smaller characters may occupy squares on this character's base and are considered adjacent. Low objects and Large and smaller characters do not provide cover against this character's attack. Ignores movement costs to enter squares containing difficult terrain, low objects, and trenches. Never has cover. Cannot benefit from Bodyguard or Draw Fire.]
Damage Reduction 20 [Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 20. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.]
Heavy Laser Cannon [1 activation: Make 2 attacks. Attack +6. On a hit, 60 damage to target and 20 damage to each character adjacent to that target; save 11. On a miss, 20 damage to the target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11.]
Holographic Projection [Your squad may include General Veers, Hologram. Ignore the Unique ability’s squad-building restrictions for purposes of this ability.]
Indiscriminate [When this character attacks an adjacent enemy, it ignores enemy abilities and commander effects that prevent targeting and attacking. These attacks cannot be redirected.]
Limited Field of Fire [This character can target only enemies in his forward arc]
Medium Blasters [1 activation: Make 2 attacks. Attack +10, Damage 20]
Mounted Weapon [Only allies with Mounted Weapon or adjacent allies with Gunner can combine fire with this character]
Overwhelming Power [Damage from this character's attacks cannot be prevented or redirected]
Rapport [Characters named AT-AT cost 50 less when in the same squad as this character]
Relentless [Moves forward only]
Staggered Activation 6 [Activates 6 times per round; each activation counts as 1 of your 2 activations in a phase. Each round, this character must use 4 activations to move or use move actions, 1 activation to use Heavy Laser Cannon, and 1 activation to use Medium Blasters. Not subject to commander effects.]
Stomp [Whenever this character moves, any characters occupying squares on its base or squares it moves into are immediately defeated. Characters can avoid this effect with a save of 6.]
Walk 2 [1 activation: Move up to 2 squares]
Weak Spots 10 [This character's Damage Reduction is reduced to 10 against attacks from adjacent enemies]

Commander Effect
Characters with Staggered Activation are subject to this effect:
Allied Imperial characters with Mounted Weapon gain Indiscriminate and Overwhelming Power.

Rebels= Wedges Snowspeeder(39)
Lukes Snowspeeder (45),
4 Snowspeeders (152)
5 Golan Turrets (104),
2 Atgar Cannons (30)
3 Elite Hoth Trooper (24)
2 Rebel Officers (26)
7 Hoth Troopers (42)

Post subject: Re: Eugene Royal Rumble
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Glad you guys enjoyed the Royal Rumble! Don't know if you guys are going to GenCon, but there's gonna be a TEAM Royal Rumble there, and it's gonna be awesome!!!

After GenCon I may have to try adding the block in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

We sadly wont be at gencon, flying there is to much for us. I can see plenty more of this for us in the future.

I did forget to mention above, Verege and Maul (the new one from Naboo mini set) was a brutal combination,the -10 for Terkasi and - 10 for Coral Implants gave him some serious longevity.. especially with all the healing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:50 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Aye laddie, indeed, he was an accursed thing!

And I was that monster's brooding FATHER, muahahahaha.... though I let my my brother (casual Minis player) use it. He literally won a match due in LARGE, LARGE, part to that ... that ... munster.

(Im sorry its early)

It was fun man, thanks for hosting! And would have ABSOLUTELY LOVED to have gone to GenCon, qualifying to game with my "Kreia and the New Mandos on the Block" 200 squad.... oh well, hope its L.A. next year.

Some great Royal Rumble squads:

Darth Maul, Sith Infiltrator & Vergere
(why?) Unbelievable survivability that leads to unbelievable single-handed point gathering for your team. 1st thing you do is designate Coral Implants from Vergy-Verg, to Maul. Next, Force Cloak both characters, if at all possible - right from the get-go.

From there you have a Cloaked melee beat stick that ALSO has Tera Kasi style AND Vonduun Crab Armor 6. To mix in with that, is a Cloaked Heal 20 flightless female bird who has the same armor, and btw, can Sever Force with her last few FP's. After a while, you may just sacrifice her to allow Maul to gain 4 FP's... allowing this freak to use Sith Rage 2, ummm.... two more times.

Boba Fett, BH & The Huntress
(why?) After spending 62 pts on Boba, The Huntress is the best 38 pts you can spend. She has the ability to both Parry & Evade; she's a great bantam-weight tank. Tie up a melee beef cake on her, and let Boba snipe from afar. I disintegrated Darth Maul, S.I., with that type of tactic (I admit though, it helped that he was never able to activate Force Cloak).

Celeste Morne & Savage Oppress
(why?) It makes sense. Celeste, an awesome Savage commander. Savage an awesome ... errr ... savage character. This pair don't tango so well until Mr. Oppress loses his "temper" though. You need to use 'Indiscriminate Rage', and FAIL the save; you want to become a savage because her very nice CE wont kick in until then.

It's science.

Anyhow, I hope to read up on how R.R. went at GenCon. :jango:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:07 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HanSolo79 wrote:
Some great Royal Rumble squads:

Darth Maul, Sith Infiltrator & Vergere
(why?) Unbelievable survivability that leads to unbelievable single-handed point gathering for your team. 1st thing you do is designate Coral Implants from Vergy-Verg, to Maul. Next, Force Cloak both characters, if at all possible - right from the get-go.

From there you have a Cloaked melee beat stick that ALSO has Tera Kasi style AND Vonduun Crab Armor 6. To mix in with that, is a Cloaked Heal 20 flightless female bird who has the same armor, and btw, can Sever Force with her last few FP's. After a while, you may just sacrifice her to allow Maul to gain 4 FP's... allowing this freak to use Sith Rage 2, ummm.... two more times.

Boba Fett, BH & The Huntress
(why?) After spending 62 pts on Boba, The Huntress is the best 38 pts you can spend. She has the ability to both Parry & Evade; she's a great bantam-weight tank. Tie up a melee beef cake on her, and let Boba snipe from afar. I disintegrated Darth Maul, S.I., with that type of tactic (I admit though, it helped that he was never able to activate Force Cloak).

Celeste Morne & Savage Oppress
(why?) It makes sense. Celeste, an awesome Savage commander. Savage an awesome ... errr ... savage character. This pair don't tango so well until Mr. Oppress loses his "temper" though. You need to use 'Indiscriminate Rage', and FAIL the save; you want to become a savage because her very nice CE wont kick in until then.

It's science.

Anyhow, I hope to read up on how R.R. went at GenCon. :jango:

Nice write up on royal rumble and glad everyone enjoyed it. Nice squads as well but one thing to point out. Vergere does not have crab armor 6 herself, she just gives it through coral implants. This is like the 4th time I heard someone think that she has it herself. I never thought so but I guess it's one of those things that is worded funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

sthlrd2 wrote:
Nice write up on royal rumble and glad everyone enjoyed it. Nice squads as well but one thing to point out. Vergere does not have crab armor 6 herself, she just gives it through coral implants. This is like the 4th time I heard someone think that she has it herself. I never thought so but I guess it's one of those things that is worded funny.

This is due to an error on Bloomilk, which should be fixed when V4 is added (soon).

The actual card wording (the official source) is clear enough. I guess the placement of Crab Armor 6 in bold on the card caught my eye when I was entering her stats, and then I missed it when proofreading. (currently this all has to be done outside of Bloomilk, so there isn't a nice "preview" feature)

I apologize for the error (again). :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ah, well that's good. She was insane in her own right WITH vdca 6... now, by virtue of "new information" (that was actually old information) , Verg, Vergo, Vergy-Verg, Vergere, is a lil more vulnerable.

Lastly, some beginner strategy ideas:

IF, you were to run these 3 previously mentioned RR teams, I would start off with either DM/Verg, or Boba/Hunt. Save Celeste and Savage for the middle rounds; earlier on most of us (myself included) who are new to the RR format, naturally start off 'dancing around the ring' before realizing that the name of the game is GET POINTS.
You may catch some "spawn point" camper, and these two are good in close-range situations... all offense.

Oh and another thing: Don't worry about taking the "kill shot" from someone else; thieving, and backstabbing is encouraged... take nothing personally. You're all professional killers in this arena, act like it :Boba: