logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Danville IL
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
I certainly wasn't trying to come off as complaining, just more of an observation that I figured I'd bring up to discuss.


No worries, I took it exactly as you intended. ;)


Cool beans, I was taught as a Magic player to look into every aspect of a match and or Tourney to see what you can do to be better. So while I privately reflect on all my screwups in play, I might discuss and maybe learn more about the current state of my faction :)

_________________
Winning a tournament always allows doing whatever is within the rules to win. - Billiv15


[===0=]=============>


Sentinel for Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:45 pm
Posts: 3886
You can see Bastilla's influence, though. A gatekeeper isn't so much the piece that you see the most, but the piece that is built to be faced against the most. Half the Imperial squads used Ysalimari. 2 more Vong squads were used. Looking at the squads, it was a bit like there were choices to face against GOWK and some to face Bastilla.

_________________
Bloomilk Ambassador


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Danville IL
Sithborg wrote:
You can see Bastilla's influence, though. A gatekeeper isn't so much the piece that you see the most, but the piece that is built to be faced against the most. Half the Imperial squads used Ysalimari. 2 more Vong squads were used. Looking at the squads, it was a bit like there were choices to face against GOWK and some to face Bastilla.


So in theory, we could say players didn't choose to go with Bastilla because of an understanding that others are teching to destroy it much like made me hesitant to play GOWK/Windu because I was afraid of the hate that would be around for it :)

In short if I choose to play OR again at future regionals I probably need to go with something more solid on its own with the expectations that good players will be out to punish me for playing her. That would also explain how my friend Chris did better rocking Thon in his build rather then just relying on 80hp figs.

_________________
Winning a tournament always allows doing whatever is within the rules to win. - Billiv15


[===0=]=============>


Sentinel for Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
Just my personal opinion. Vong and imperial (unless your running a squad with no ce's) have answers to or squads. Imps have 2 bubble pieces, 1 that lets you switch one of your commanders if need be. OR has Bastilla, with either glass cannons or expensive beatsticks. I think they could benefit from a low cost beat Jedi like jaden korr or similar pieces. Also some kind of counter to imp bubbles would be nice to see. With force abilities becoming more and more popular, Imp bubbles will continue to grow more and more powerful with no counter to them. But I will say, an imp bubble counter is a delicate matter and should be carefully thought out for it to be effective but not a complete faction stopper.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3163
Also you have to remember that most SWM players are very stubborn. We all like to play our pet squads even though it may not be the best call and it certainly makes for an interesting meta when you know that certain people tend to play certain squad types. For instance I like to play trooper squads (Echanis are like troopers) but I know that there are certain squads/types that I have a difficult time with so I have to either accept that I am going to lose that match or get lucky in my opp making a mistake for me to win. Same with Tim B. He generally plays squads that try to outactivate you and then pound you (sometimes with MTB so that he can hit you again at init) with frail cannons doing his work (Speeders and Lancers come to mind).

So when you prepare for a tourney you also have to prepare for who is going to be there and what your chances are of playing a particular person.

Also you do see Bastilla's effect on the meta as there were multiple vong squads and quite a few force bubbles which you probably would never have seen before at a regional. Also because of Bastilla it has allowed the re-emergence of tank and there were multiple builds with GOWK.

_________________
When I left you I was but the learner . . . now I am the master.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:45 pm
Posts: 3886
sthlrd2 wrote:
Just my personal opinion. Vong and imperial (unless your running a squad with no ce's) have answers to or squads. Imps have 2 bubble pieces, 1 that lets you switch one of your commanders if need be. OR has Bastilla, with either glass cannons or expensive beatsticks. I think they could benefit from a low cost beat Jedi like jaden korr or similar pieces. Also some kind of counter to imp bubbles would be nice to see. With force abilities becoming more and more popular, Imp bubbles will continue to grow more and more powerful with no counter to them. But I will say, an imp bubble counter is a delicate matter and should be carefully thought out for it to be effective but not a complete faction stopper.


Yeah, bringing GA Thrawn and/or Pelleon within range of the fighting is a delicate proposition.

_________________
Bloomilk Ambassador


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Danville IL
urbanjedi wrote:
Also you have to remember that most SWM players are very stubborn. We all like to play our pet squads even though it may not be the best call and it certainly makes for an interesting meta when you know that certain people tend to play certain squad types. For instance I like to play trooper squads (Echanis are like troopers) but I know that there are certain squads/types that I have a difficult time with so I have to either accept that I am going to lose that match or get lucky in my opp making a mistake for me to win. Same with Tim B. He generally plays squads that try to outactivate you and then pound you (sometimes with MTB so that he can hit you again at init) with frail cannons doing his work (Speeders and Lancers come to mind).

So when you prepare for a tourney you also have to prepare for who is going to be there and what your chances are of playing a particular person.

Also you do see Bastilla's effect on the meta as there were multiple vong squads and quite a few force bubbles which you probably would never have seen before at a regional. Also because of Bastilla it has allowed the re-emergence of tank and there were multiple builds with GOWK.


That is very very true, I guess that part of the meta will be learned as I get to participate in many of the regionals and GenCon this year. :)

Seeing Tank come back was one of the most exciting things to me when I first came back and saw the Vsets for the first time, however funny enough I haven't played it half as much as I did before quitting a few years ago LOL!!

_________________
Winning a tournament always allows doing whatever is within the rules to win. - Billiv15


[===0=]=============>


Sentinel for Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: List the top 10 pieces
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 am
Posts: 57
My top 10:

1. Thrawn (IE):
For me- one of the best commanders in game. 32 points, 11 attack, and his magical CE: swap and Opp to allies- which is better than +3/+3 from GAT. If only he has Ysalamiri :D Come on, we can't have everything!
2. Potty Palps
Best force battery in game. Nothing needs to be said more. Emplacement isn't such a big deal if you know how to use him properly.
3.Battle Droid Officer
9 point ingreadient for playable droids. Absolute must-have in Droid-squad based Seppies. His bonus cannot be disrupted or stolen. Simple greatness !
4.Kol Skywalker
I call him pain-in-my-ass. Damn i hate him sooo much :D Very, very versitile, heavilly undercosted. Give him evade and watch him rushing into the battle. His MotF and duelist make him hard to kill.
5.General Weir
One of my favourite V-set characters! Not only does he bring Storm Commandos to their glory, but himself is quite good as well!(If only he had shields as well, but I'm not complaining)
6.GOWK
Pain-in-my-ass vol 2. Yep, SSM is back again, and he just keeps avoiding the damage. Lucky bastard :D
7.Yammosk
Piece, which brought Vongs to competetive level. Thanks to him and new V commanders invaders from are getting better and beter each set!
8.Gen Rieekan
Uber CE for 14 points?
9.Mouse Droid
3 point piece which helps factions without Mas Amedda. Do I have to continue?
10.Sirli
My favourite piece from newest Vset. MR2 + unavoidable Twin + Drain Life in the same turn? Hell yeah!

If list was longer I would add : Lord Vader (for me still my favourite beatstick in game, but very delicate), Ganner (Levitation), Dodonna (1 or 2 activations? suuure :D) and GG, DAC (Uber CE, made playing Seppies fun again).

Yeah, I'm a Empire fan( :emperor: ). Most of pieces are commanders, because this game relies sooo heavilly on CE.
I can't wait for new Vset!!
:royalg:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Darth Ruthven and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield