SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

100-150 point format dead?
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15193
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jedi_Master [ Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 pm ]
Post subject:  100-150 point format dead?

I just couldn't help but note that there hasn't been a 100 point or 150 point squad posted in around 6 months. Has the game completely shifted to the 200 point format? >.>...<.<...if so it might be part of why tournaments are taking so long these days :P

Author:  Sithborg [ Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

There is still a good amount posted over at bloomilk.

Author:  Grand Moff Boris [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

150 died with WotC. I love 100 pt. format the best for skirmishes. One of the coolest side-effects of the V-sets is that with the focus on 200, there are a lot of great squad designs that are slimmer and/or beefier (if that makes sense, lol) in the old-school 100 pt. format. It's quickly become my favorite point total to play at.

Bastila is 1/3 of your squad, and with Revanchist and some fodder, she is staring down something like:

Galen Marek
Palp on Throne

So, go ahead and take away my CE from the back row. It's fine, Palp is sitting perfectly in Gambit while Galen stares your squad down. :)

Author:  Jedi_Master [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

Yeah, 150 was kinda a dumb thing to begin with...still had to ask :P

Maybe we should do a 100 point tourney sometime? I know 200 is all the rage but if there is game in 100 point I know there isn't a "current" meta.

Author:  audrisampson [ Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

We still occasionally do 100 around Danville. Personally I love it and wish it would come back in a bigger way.

Author:  TheHutts [ Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

I like 150 quite a lot - we have 150 point tournaments, and they're fun.

I'm not so keen on 100 though - we play those too, but I think the matchups get random. If one player brings 15 Poggle bombs in his 100 point squad, most other 100 point squads don't have the tools to deal with them.

Author:  sthlrd2 [ Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

My 100 pnt squad that I've been running whenever there is a 100 pnt event for the last few years and I think is still a viable 100 pnt squad can deal with poggle bombs.

But I will say all you need to have is jareal and you can beat me. She has been the bane of my squad. This one time, jareal with 10 hp left takes out my entire squad just by herself.

Author:  Demosthenes [ Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

Haven't played 100 or 150 in ages, but maybe that's because I hardly ever play, lol. I remember my favorite 100 squad was Mara, Ganner, and filler. Lob, kill, repeat!

Author:  Jedi_Master [ Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

TheHutts wrote:
I like 150 quite a lot - we have 150 point tournaments, and they're fun.

I'm not so keen on 100 though - we play those too, but I think the matchups get random. If one player brings 15 Poggle bombs in his 100 point squad, most other 100 point squads don't have the tools to deal with them.


I've never found bombs hard to deal with. One disruptive character or a single shot to a group of them and problem solved. 15 bombs is only what, 150 points of damage? Most squads have what, double that in hp in a 100 point game.

Author:  TheHutts [ Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

Jedi_Master wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
I like 150 quite a lot - we have 150 point tournaments, and they're fun.

I'm not so keen on 100 though - we play those too, but I think the matchups get random. If one player brings 15 Poggle bombs in his 100 point squad, most other 100 point squads don't have the tools to deal with them.


I've never found bombs hard to deal with. One disruptive character or a single shot to a group of them and problem solved. 15 bombs is only what, 150 points of damage? Most squads have what, double that in hp in a 100 point game.


Each bomb goes off for 20 damage, and 15 bombs plus Poggle only costs 39 points, so you have room for other damage dealers.

There are definitely counters to it in bigger games, but for starters you're not very likely to play Bastila, one of the big NR disruptive pieces, or Lobot at 100 points. Chucking Juno Eclipse into a Rebel squad is more feasible, but I think it has a good shot of running through a 100 point tournament without meeting any disruptive or abm - its worst matchup after that is probably a heavy shooter squad, but it's still winnable.

Author:  thereisnotry [ Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

Towed Rex can also handle them pretty well, since he can shoot and get towed away all game. The problem is the other main piece(s) that the Sep player has on the table.

Author:  Echo [ Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

Haha, this reminds me of Graham's 100 point squad in the Jedi Challenge at GenCon last year. It consisted of Poggle the Lesser and then literally ALL the Geonosian Drones that would fit into 100 points (and I think there was an MTB, but that's it). He actually did surprisingly well with it because a lot of players just didn't know what to do against that. Pretty much any flying shooter beats it (he got beat by a Cad Bane that would fly away, shoot the bombs, and just repeat every round). R2 towing any shooter gets the same effect.

He also still talks about how miserable of a play experience it was for him because of the insane amount of moving and counting he had to do and the careful placement so as not to set off a chain reaction and lose his whole squad. :lol:

Author:  audrisampson [ Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

For disruption in 100 you have the new guy in Cantina brawl. Just keep the big seps from hitting it and you should be safe from the bombs.

Author:  TheHutts [ Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

One thing he did was to include Darth Sidious as well. So he can outactivate you, surround you with bombs, then set one off with Sidious' Pawn of the Dark Side. Sidious' direct damage abilities are useful too; he can lightning the Distraction piece.

Although the MTB is an even better idea, and I'm glad he hasn't thought of that.... You could probably find a fast attacker who can catch Cad Bane/towed Rex etc, then attack on the MTB won initiative. Using Jarael as an activator with her stun might work.

Author:  thereisnotry [ Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

TheHutts wrote:
One thing he did was to include Darth Sidious as well. So he can outactivate you, surround you with bombs, then set one off with Sidious' Pawn of the Dark Side. Sidious' direct damage abilities are useful too; he can lightning the Distraction piece.

Although the MTB is an even better idea, and I'm glad he hasn't thought of that.... You could probably find a fast attacker who can catch Cad Bane/towed Rex etc, then attack on the MTB won initiative. Using Jarael as an activator with her stun might work.

Yep, it's a question of what the other pieces in the Sep squad are. Sidious is obviously a great choice, as is Lobot/MTB. Assaj (43pts) is a good choice too, with stealth and some high damage output.

Author:  coffeebean [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

me and my friends play 100pts. its fun and fast and super powerful combinations are hard to fit in at 100. right now my favorite piece at 100 is naga sadow, he is quite diverse and can handle most threats at 100.

we are thinking we might try 125 points so that all pieces can be played. luke grand master is collecting dust, and he dosent stand much of a chance if we only did 115pts. 125 gives him a few ugnaughts for activations.

Author:  wannabemexican [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

When I was first getting into the game I played almost exclusively with 100pt squads. It was really fun. I had a squad with Rex and a few Repeater troopers. Was awesome.

Author:  jedispyder [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

Echo wrote:
Haha, this reminds me of Graham's 100 point squad in the Jedi Challenge at GenCon last year. It consisted of Poggle the Lesser and then literally ALL the Geonosian Drones that would fit into 100 points (and I think there was an MTB, but that's it). He actually did surprisingly well with it because a lot of players just didn't know what to do against that. Pretty much any flying shooter beats it (he got beat by a Cad Bane that would fly away, shoot the bombs, and just repeat every round). R2 towing any shooter gets the same effect.

He definitely had an MTB there. Because he decimated my Jaina+Mando Captain because he won map, blocked me in, and completely swarmed Jaina. He sacrificed a bomb and both Jaina and the Captain were dead. I think the game took 2 rounds, lol.

I always found 100 to be an intriguing game. You can do a lot but sometimes it's too reliant on CEs and you're left with only a few "real" attackers.

Author:  swinefeld [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 100-150 point format dead?

100 is fun. I always enjoyed seeing Darth Bane and 6 uggies show up. :D

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/