logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWMGPA Ranking System
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Okay. We’re finally here. Prepare to be underwhelmed!

Introducing the SWMGPA Ranking System. Below is the link to the website in all its Beta-ness for you to begin to use, to enter details, peruse rankings, and basically see what we need to fix for it to work. Myself and Bevan (from NZ) have developed the system and my good friend Lloyd (also from NZ) has created the website based on my theoretical wanderings. We’ve spent the last two months perfecting the math-part of the site, and now its streamlining the interface and how YOU put details in that we need to work on.

What is Done: You can register, login, enter game details one at a time and view how your results stack up against your local fellows and internationally. If you are in charge of a local gaming group, you can register your group and when it’s been accepted, you can enter and edit details against that group.

What is Still To Do: We are still messing around with the Tournament Entry mode. Currently you can’t tag a group of results to a Tournament and have to enter them one at a time. We’ve found that having the two systems alongside each other (Tournament and Single Game) requires a rejig in the code. It’s coming as soon as. Also you can’t (as yet) setup tournaments or Tier 1 Tournaments – that functionality will be opened up once we’ve figured out the code. We’ve put a date on this: no later than March 9th!

We also want to see if the new Tournament Software can be rejigged to include a function to immediately transfer tournament data into the ranking system. Those discussions are coming. We’re putting the tentative date of May 1st on all of this, although we’re keen to nail it sooner if we can.

What We Want From You: Well, it’s to register and start getting your details in to the machine. We’ll only find out if we’ve got it right (or wrong?) and what we need to amend or fix once you start bringing things to us.

We’re pretty excited about the future of this endeavour and hope you can see the possibilities with this very crude beginning. IT’S BEST VIEWED IN MOZILLA I’m told. (Someone once told me that ‘Friends don’t let Friends use IE’) With your input, we’ll nail this puppy and it’ll be the shizzle come GenCon.

SWMGPA Ranking System

Note: The results that are in the website as of now are ALL the official games that we have played in NZ dating back to June 2008. I had them all on record and have put them in to see how the system handles them. You don't need to dredge up details of games you've played from years back! The system calculates your results over the previous year, but gives more weight to those more recent. It's gonna take a few months for us to get flowing so it's only really your results going forward that you need to consider (unless, like me, you've kept EVERYTHING).

Post subject: Re: SWMGPA Ranking System
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:00 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Some Tips and Suggestions for the SWMGPA Rankings System:

You need to register and we will confirm your entry. It requires you to have an email address which most people will have. If it becomes a problem long-term, we’ll work it out.

If you turn up to a tournament or a games night at your LGS and play a ranked game, they’ll grab your email address (presumably) and can enter it in before you register. When you finally do register, it’ll pick you up and tag those games to you. Until you do register, your screen name will be the first portion of your email address.

Currently it is best suited to LGS nights or small local leagues where you don’t have to input too many games in a row. If you have a tournament you want to put info in for, either hold on to those details and wait for the Tournament function to be added (which will mean you can tag all those results to a tournament) or enter it in one by one. Your call. Again, we’ll have that up and running by March 9. PM me if you have queries.

Rankings will show you the overall results with the option of breaking it down for your leagues. Games will give you the game by game breakdown. You currently can’t see the map or squad specifics here – but they are coming! Please enter in as much detail as you can. Add Games will be where you can add games (obviously). If it doesn’t say so, the date format is YYYY-MM-DD. Profile is where you change/edit your details – more functionality is coming – and Leagues will be where you can see which leagues you are in. I think.

Find a local representative of your league to be in charge of entering the game details. They will have that league’s details tied to them so that they can enter and edit them. Shower him/her with gifts whenever you can.

I know things are missing and I know there are other things I need to tell you so let’s take it one step at a time and see how we can work together to make this work. Remember: you rule – especially you.
Mauri ora, mauri mate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:12 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Excellent, thanks and looking forward to using it often.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Remember rankings should reflect any tournament as of January 1, 2012 onward. All you need are four registered players.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

We run weekly tourny here in Danville IL. so I think Ill wait for the tourney entry process and get us in... Its a shame I don't have any of the notes from our events in January :(

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!