logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Question about Holding a Regional Event in My Area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Greetings fellow Star Wars Minis Players!

It was just brought to my attention over on Bloomilk that anyone can hold a regional event. First, I'd like to double check that this is true as I know the leadership here has taken primary responsibility for the game in general and the regionals in particular (and I don't want to step on anyone's toes)?

Second, I could use some help to make sure I do this correctly.

Are there a minimum number of players (maybe 4 as was the case in the old DCI system, or 8 or more because it is supposed to be a big event)?

If I organize it can I play myself or am I excluded (I'll still try either way, but I'd like to play if I can)?

Do we need an official judge (and can that be me if so... and can I play if I am both the judge and organizer... organizing seems ok, but judging maybe not... again, I'll still try either way)?

Anything else I need to know or anyone I need to inform about what is going on?

We have the Phoenix Comicon here in AZ in May, and I'd love to see if I can do a regional at this event (I already volunteer for them, and know they have great gaming lineup). We can also do it at a LGS in Mesa that is just off a major highway if that doesn't work.

But, before I start advertising it and trying to put something together, I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing and that it was in fact ok for me to start the process.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Tony

Post subject: Re: Question about Holding a Regional Event in My Area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

The only requirement to having a regional is that the top prize is typically a Badge to Gencon and Championship entry fee. So this runs about 85-95 dollars. Other than that the minimum requirement for any sanctioned event is 4, granted that means you'd have to charge each of them rought 25$ for an entry fee. The average entry fee for Regionals is about 15$.

The Comicon should be a great place to hold one. Keep me posted as I have a brother in law in Maricopa that used to play with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:24 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks The_Celestial_Warrior, I will definitely keep you posted.

Other thoughts still appreciated (especially if I can play and if we need a judge).

Also, does the prize have to be a GenCon badge? I could see several people here wanting to participate, but most would not have the cash to go to GenCon (the last time I went it cost nearly $1000 including airfare and hotel as I didn't have anyone to share a room with). Could I get $100 worth of boosters or something like that as a prize (or maybe a free pair of badges to next year's Phoenix Comicon which would be worth about $100 and I'm sure I could get them to donate)?

I think the GenCon badge wouldn't motivate people here. There would be a couple of people here who would go (myself included), but not the majority of them. I'm happy to offer a similar size prize. I'd even pay for most of it myself to keep the entry fee to $5-10 per person and get a little excitement going in this area again.

p.s., Is there a way to find out who on SWMGamers is from AZ so I could PM them directly if it looks like it will work out?

Last edited by tonythetoyman on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

tonythetoyman wrote:
I think the GenCon badge wouldn't motivate people here. I'm happy to offer a similar size prize. I'd even pay for most of it myself to keep the entry fee to $5-10 per person and get a little excitement going in this area again.

p.s., Is there a way to find out who on SWMGamers is from AZ so I could PM them directly if it looks like it will work out?

Then it really wouldn't be a regional as they are nothing more than a feeder to the Championship, regional is really just a name for a specific kind of tournament. I do think a badge to the Arizona con would be a great idea.

We hold all kinds of tournaments year round that are "competitive" without being regionals. Lansing, Kokomo, Owensboro, Virginia just to name a few.

If you ran a regional then you'll definately need a judge, and I would still recommend one in all other tournaments as well. The TO can absolutely play in the tourney but typically the judge should not.

As far as who's from AZ, unless the update their profiles....no.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:44 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I think the issue would be that we'd not know who would show up and who would eventually win. I can think of 3-4 folks who have been to GenCon at one point or another, and they might go if they played and won. So, that makes it a bit of an odd situation. One of them would probably come in near the top, so maybe they could trade the badge (or the top person could select another prize... I have some extra LOTF, IE, JA, and maybe even other boosters I could include as prizes). So, it could be a feeder if the right person won or if the badge could be taken by the highest player who would go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tony, I say go for it. The more regionals the better.

GenCon badges are transferable, so make that the prize, and if someone can't go, they can give it away, sell it, etc.

I won 3 last year after buying mine (had to have a badge to get into the GenCon housing block). I gave one to a friend who had just lost his job, and donated the other 2 back into the community for extra v-set production, etc.

Obviously we want as many minis players at GenCon as possible. Anyway - my point is it doesn't have to be the champ that ends up going.

Either way, it would be good to see you there again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

It also really is up to what you think will draw players as well. If you think a badge to next years local con would work better you might offer that as an alternative prize (either a gencon badge or badge to local con).

The more we have the better it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

A regional in Arizona sounds like a good idea! Heck, it would be nice to have one in all 50 states...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:32 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I concur, we are looking at a revival here in WNY and its important for the long term that events are being organized. We are planning on a WNY regional in the spring and hope we'll see folks from other regions pay us a visit.