logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame class of 2012 Nominations!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So I have sort of figured out who the nominees are, but will there be an official announcement? Also, do the top 3 still get a community vote?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:25 pm 
General
General

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I don't recall such a promise about an exact number of HoF nominees ever being made. In fact, the system is set up in such a way that it was possible in the past for no one to be inducted. It all came down to how people voted.

If someone in the HoF assured you or anyone that X number of nominees would be inducted, well they did not speak with the authority of the entire group. I have a hard time believing anyone who understood how the system works actually said that.

No one ever said an exact number of nominees would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. This isn't Nascar where it's 5 every year. :>)

But in the past the top 15 nominees have been considered for induction by getting a questionnaire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:28 pm 
General
General

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Chargers wrote:
* On SHNN, it was mentioned about a year ago that a prior year nominee who barely made the cut so wowed the judges with his response that he was voted in. That's a cool story.

??? Who was this? I missed out on that.

You'll just have to download prior episodes of SHNN to find out. :o :lol:

It was about a year ago when it was talked about on the show; don't remember exactly which episode.

I have two names in mind. While I'd like to recognize the actual cool story person, I also don't want the other to take an unintended slight by mentioning the wrong person. Since my memory is failing me, we'll rely on Bill to identify the correct person.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Chargers wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I don't recall such a promise about an exact number of HoF nominees ever being made. In fact, the system is set up in such a way that it was possible in the past for no one to be inducted. It all came down to how people voted.

If someone in the HoF assured you or anyone that X number of nominees would be inducted, well they did not speak with the authority of the entire group. I have a hard time believing anyone who understood how the system works actually said that.

No one ever said an exact number of nominees would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. This isn't Nascar where it's 5 every year. :>)

But in the past the top 15 nominees have been considered for induction by getting a questionnaire.

Oh, I see what you are saying. Let me say this, as I don't think it's a secret. Anyone can figure this out by adding up the votes in the nomination thread. Some people only got 1 or 2 votes - too many of them IMO, and to be honest with you, I cannot see any HoF'er voting for someone who didn't have any support unless there was a very very good reason for us to induct that person. So a big part in cutting down the list to 8 was because we wanted to choose from the ones the community really supported.

I'd prefer it not to be known which were being considered but the cat is out of the bag. We have to keep it competitive. If we want to get back to 15, then let's recruit more people to play this game! :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I still think some more, "historical" entries should start to be considered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Scott, here's the thing that is apparent. People do their thing for our game, then disappear. There have been times when I couldn't even contact people b/c they got in the HOF, then have never been heard from again. It's the nature of the beast. I can think of one person in particular that was like fourth one year in nominations, then dropped off the radar and got like one or two total nods the next year. People who have been around a long time can remember the ancient ones, but not very many of those left these days.