logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: How the game has changed for me
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well so far this year I have played with 10 pieces - competitively - that I never thought in a million years I would use in constructed squads (as opposed to league or sealed play), thanks to the creation of some of the newer pieces:

1. Princess Leia, Captive. When A&E first came out and I discovered the Ithorian Commander, she was my first thought. Then I saw Han in Armor and thought of all the amazing possibilities that awaited. I built a squad around the 3 of them and it was fun for about 2 weeks until I realized I could do even more with some of the other newer Fringe options, like...

2. Ayy Vidda. Attacking from 12 squares at +19 for as much as 50 damage, she was the natural evolutionary step in my "Hell Freezes Over" squad (ironically, I didn't know the Eagles were trying to make a comeback at that point). Eventually, I abandoned the Ithorian in favor of expanding Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor (nicknamed HISA, pronounced Huzzah!) style squads more toward ranged options like...

3. Bossk, Bounty Hunter. Momentum for 12 squares out and then Double Claw Attack on the subsequent rounds. Won me a tournament with that combo one day. Good times. As for not so good times, I did try out a couple of other characters for the first time this year like...

4. Queen Amidala. I thought her Rapport and Mobile Attack would be great with JWM's in 150. Wow was I wrong. In order for those things to be good you have to remember to use them. Oh well. Another example of not so good times was...

5. Mace Windu, Jedi Master. Believe it or not, I never used him, not even once, when RotS was still new. The CS version was miles ahead of him in terms of game play, which wasn't saying much given that he took up so much of the squad points for little benefit outside of triple-chance critting. However, I had the urge to play him and JM Qui-Gon in a recent friendly game of Dynamic Duo. The experience assured me not using him - ever - was never the wrong call. Other pieces I have used for the first time this year included...

6. Yoda of Dagobah. Wow, did I hate that piece for the longest time. 36 points for a character that can't do anything except wave his stick at the enemy and try to collect gambit. Talk about a piece that was too easily ignored. But now, wow, between Vader's Apprentice Redeemed and Luke Hoth Pilot, YoD has finally come into his own. He even found his way into my hard-sleeve carry case. (Most of my rares and occasional playables are delegated to the binder, and only those I use with any frequency actually get to travel in the hard sleeves, so it was kind of a big deal.)
Yoda of Dagobah is a Force Battery that can cancel opponent's Force powers, and with all the new Force Push powers, he's not so easily ignored anymore. My favorite time with him was when I stunned Boba BH 3 rounds in a row. Sorry pal.

7. Han Solo, Rogue. I knew before I even traded for him that I would never use him. What a crummy Han. But now we have the Muun Tactics Broker and a second Master Tactician, so I had to dig him out of the crate of eternal darkness and shove his card into a hard sleeve for traveling. Which reminds me: meanwhile, over in the dark side...

8. Exar Kun. I'd seen other people use him in consistently losing squads, so I never bothered. But then I saw the Muun Tactics Broker and I thought this could be his chance to shine in the spotlight. Initiative control comes to the Sith, and in a way that is manageable when it becomes a disadvantage. And you can't play Kun without...

9. Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike. Saw it when I opened my BH boosters, thought it was stupidly bad. Then along came the Muun Tactics Broker and I saw hope for Exar Kun. But I've already been over that. Finally...

10. Chewbacca with C3P0. Just once, I wanted to see what a squad of Double Attackers could do with Garm Bel Iblis. Now I know. So long pal, you weren't even fun for 30 seconds.

All-in-all though, it is nice to see that old pieces are being made playable in interesting ways. Gives some hope for the future, IMO.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:11 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Very nice.

I wish I was patient enough to write something like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:54 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boris, would you be interested in expanding on this at some point, I feel this has the makings of a top quality article, hell even a weekly feature. Let me know.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

Post subject: Re: How the game has changed for me
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:51 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Boris wrote:
10. Chewbacca with C3P0. Just once, I wanted to see what a squad of Double Attackers could do with Garm Bel Iblis. Now I know. So long pal, you weren't even fun for 30 seconds.

He was fun for me when I moved him three and combined fire with rebel spotters while within six of Han, RH against an unactivated Quinlan, Infiltrator. 120 lost hit points of justice. :)

Grambo wrote:
the best defense is a dead opponent.

Post subject: Re: How the game has changed for me
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

sixfootoneder wrote:
Boris wrote:

He was fun for me when I moved him three and combined fire with rebel spotters while within six of Han, RH against an unactivated Quinlan, Infiltrator. 120 lost hit points of justice. :)

That's so awesome there aren't even words for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Kun and the MTB a very nice match indeed....

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I've been trying to use Chewie with Threepio for a while now. It's so hard when the other options for Chewie always fit my play style better. I might still try him out with Garm. Maybe my experience will be more fun than it was for you.

I can't remember if it was you, Boris, that gave me the idea to try Captive Leia with the Ithorian and Han in STA. Someone posted a squad idea involving her with those to commanders and I tried my own version of it at 150 points later that day. Man was that a fun squad, and I was so glad to finally use that Leia in something other than a specific scenario skirmish. I used Ayy Vida in that one too, but I like characters like that so it wasn't the first time in a while.

Of that list, I still haven't tried Han Rogue yet. Perhaps I will soon. It's not that I don't want to, it's just low on my list of priorities as I've still got other figures to try out still.

Mace, JM isn't bad, just not as much fun as the other versions. My friends and I still try to play him every once in a while, with limited success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:59 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Comicsaurus wrote:
Very nice.

I wish I was patient enough to write something like this.

Me too.

Thanks Boris, this is a great thread. I like your comments on Exar, with initiative control in Exar swarm at 150 he will actually stand a chance again.