logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Gencon costs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Guys, I'm looking into making plans to attend gencon next year. I'm just wondering what financial costs I should try factoring into my financial plan for the year. How much roughly will I drop on a gencon badge, accomodation and food? Would love to attend a gencon.

Post subject: Re: Gencon costs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I spent $300. That included gas, badge, tickets, and food and hotel 5 guys in our room. I also live 9 hours from Indy. Pack your lunch and snacks because food will be your biggest expense. Thats what I spent I also went out drinkin every day, I was running a hardcore budget though. Could have easily dropped a grand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:33 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

The trick to GENCON is find 2-4 other people you're comfortable with to help split the cost of the trip. I made the trip from VA w/ 2 other guys from MD. I paid about $55 total for hotel, $140 for a weekend pass w/ event tickets, and $50 for gas. Now I spent a lot buying stuff, but you can easily get the cost under $300 if you're judicious about spending and preparation.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah well I can probably get one guy to come, but I am coning over from the UK, so I'm not really that involved over in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

the actual cost of the badge for gen con will varry also. IF you preorder it, usually between February and june you can get it i think for around $65-70 if you get one on site it will cost you apx $78-80. + ALso if you do will call for your tickets, you will not have to pay for shipping, though you will spend some time in the line for will call on thursday morning. (if you show up on Wednesday you can get your tickets and badge from will call then) Another way to keep costs cheap on food other than just eating bag lunches is to go to sone of the cheaper fast food restaurants around the convention center. IE: Mcdonalds, subway, Steak and Shake (they have a $4 meal menu), and johnny Rockets (45 meal menu) If you get water or even bring your own drink to any of those places you will still eat pretty cheap and you get a better meal than just a lunch meat sandwich and chips. Also utilize some of the gas stations for fountain drinks. Usually they are not over critical of people have outside drinks in (at least they havnt been for me). For a cheaper hotel idea try getting one that is not connected to the convention center that is close by. The rates are far less and you can still get there within a timely manner, but you may have to deal with some rain, just make sure if you do this that you know where you are3 going, because it sucks to get lost ....

you can always use the various map sites out there to help pinpoint diferent hotels and food places in the area. I also always plan out where we are going to eat for each meal, so that i can figure out ahead of time the area of how much meals will cost. This way if you decide you want some place else to eat you can figure how much additional it will cost. Try to steer clear of the convention centers food areas. Many people use them, but they will cost you a huge ammounjt more than most of the restaurants for sub par food. If you end up getting a hotel that is a few miles away from the convention center (which will be a better rate) you could drive to the center and get parking. If you will be there all night watch for time limits on parking. Most of the garages charge for up to 4 hours at 1 price and then all day at another. on average the parking is like $25-30 a day, when connected to the convention center, and maybe 20 in the open garages that are a block or 2 away.

I have been going to gen con for the last 5 years so i am not as big of a veteran as some of the other people, but i have lived within 30 miles of indianapolis my whole life so i have been there alot and i know how to deal with alot of the issues that come up.

By the way all of the prices i gave were in American dollars. I'm sorry but i do not know the conversion to the euro or any other currency.

IF you have any other questions feel free to pm me and i will try to help to the best of my abillity.