logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: How would you fix (insert mini here)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:39 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Okay so there was a thread around here at some point about how to fix Luke, JM and I think we all pretty much agreed that all he needed was MotF 2.. well that got me thinking of what else could use a bit of a boost to be competitive? (this is besides the obvious Grevious JH with JH ability and Nien Nunb.. you get the point)

Grevious's Wheelbike
OKay so here's a piece that's just.. well bad for its cost. But with a little bit of rethinking I bet he could be somewhat competitive. He kind of strikes me as an expensive Nym (Nym's already considered too pricey) nowdays with his 10 attack and 30 damage. Being 10 pts more than Nym still doesn't make up for being alot more mobile and a little bit harder to hit... so I'm thinking this piece could really use Damage Reduction 10. Would give him a little bit more survivalbility and the cost would still be fair (with all the WFFs running around with Demolish and jedi hunters to cancel out the effect).

Guri (!) I want to like this piece but for 25 points I'm better off throwing in Bossk, BH, or heck even 5 stormies if I'm playing empire or something. Well 90 hp with 20 Defense and stealth definately help Guri stay alive but... being a droid pretty much nerfs her chance of taking advantage of one of the coolest CE's in the game with her melee/damage 10 combo. So here you have this droid cunning attacking at 17 att and even mobile to boot.. just melee though. Other than the obvious adding 10 damage to fix her I'd get a little bit more creative by giving her rolling cleave, an ability that seems to have been forgotten about lately. Cleave in general is such a great ability and coupled with cunning she'd be sure to get off 3 attacks in the right situation.

Bail Organa Bail! If you're one of the 5 people who's used this piece in a public setting then.. well you rock! I thought the alderran troopers were pretty cool it's just a shame that thier commander didn't have much to offer them. That's why changing Bail's dated CE which is basically spotter 10 to spotter 20 would be really effective with the already built-in synchronized fire they each have.

Kyle Katarn Alright, I think this one has probably been argued to death like nien/grevious/luke jm but I think this guy could take a tip from his other 10 damage/non-melee jedi buddies Aurra JH and Mara Jade, Jedi and use some twin... oh but I wouldn't stop there. I'd make open up another door of possibilties for the NR by giving him a CE granting twin to non-unique force users in your squad, and throw in rapport with them as well. Might as well for 31 pts, it'd help out the NR being able to field Young Jedi Knights for 20 points a piece, letting them twin from 10 squares away and putting 40 damage on someone. Then maybe you'd see the human force adpet too.. but with that attack I wouldn't count on it. Either way it'd be nice to see more non uniques for the NR...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:36 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Darth Nihilus He has one of the best Force Powers in the game IMO, but I thought of a pretty interesting way to make him a little more playable. I was reading an article about him on Wookieepedia and it said... 'Prolonged use of this power made him a threat to all life, as his hunger grew as well.' ...So I got to thinking and came up with this. Force Hunger (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6, 10 damage to target enemy and remove 10 damage from this character. If the target has Force points remaining, transfer 1 Force point from the target to this character. Every time you use this ability, increase the damage and damage removal by +10. Maybe (maaaaaaaybe) start it at 20 damage, but I don't know. We all know he is not used for his attacking ability (nor should he be because that's not really how he handled his business in the universe.) I just think that this would be a better representation of the power he possessed and make him a lot more playable. Imagine the possibilities!...

GVL Record: 10-7 (58.8% win percentage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:23 am 
General
General

The (non san) Separatists:
Add a CE for living followers. Make it something decent and not broken and all of the sudden Maul, GGJH, and Tyranus become useful.

Post subject: what mini would I fix?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

DARK SIDE ENFORCER
This mini puts shame to the name of sith so here is how to fix it.
1. 2 more force points
2. force weapon
3. +3 more defense bonus
4. +2 more attack bonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:48 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Bail! I love that figure. Sure, he's not the best, but after a less than stellar debut where he was defeated before he even got to attack, I've had some really good outings with him.

If I had my chance to alter a mini, I would probably go with Aayla, or Ki-Adi. Funnily enough, Aayla is always part of my Alderaan Trooper squads with Bail. Only picking one ability for Aayla would be tough. I might go with Stealth, as she makes use of that ability quite a lot in the comics. Or some kind of Force Ability that cancels Jedi Hunter for the rest of the round.

If not any of those, I'd want her to influence Trooper followers a lot more, given her rapport with her Clone Troopers (and especially Bly) from the comics. Not sure what though.

As for Ki-Adi, I wouldn't know where to begin with him, but it'd be nice to make it a bit of an easier choice for squad selection...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:40 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I've used Bail in a squad before.

on a night your opponent played the squad you brought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Darth Nihilus
1. Force renewal 1
2. MotF 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:42 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Darth Malak
I don't think his Force Powers reflect his in-game abilities very well. I would certainly say Force Renewal 1 and add Force Lightening and Sith Hunger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:59 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Fool wrote:
emr131 wrote:
The (non san) Separatists:
Add a CE for living followers. Make it something decent and not broken and all of the sudden Maul, GGJH, and Tyranus become useful.

I know I haven't touched my Custom Set in ages but one of the characters I intended to make was Darth Sidious, The Phantom Menace with the Dark Side Tutor SA which gave an ally with a Force Rating Jedi Hunter and Force Renewal.

This is an awesome idea an a cool name for a unique to boot. I want to see this custom!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:32 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

masterjudge wrote:
Darth Nihilus
1. Force renewal 1
2. MotF 2

That would be brutal! I like it.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:50 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Fool wrote:
I know I haven't touched my Custom Set in ages but one of the characters I intended to make was Darth Sidious, The Phantom Menace with the Dark Side Tutor SA which gave an ally with a Force Rating Jedi Hunter and Force Renewal.

At least limit it to force users with melee.

Post subject: Re: what mini would I fix?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

masterjudge wrote:
DARK SIDE ENFORCER
This mini puts shame to the name of sith so here is how to fix it.
1. 2 more force points
2. force weapon
3. +3 more defense bonus
4. +2 more attack bonus

Ever try to use Thrawn with one or two? It does 3 and 4 very well.

How about a better nute gunray? He is just terrible, and makes you resort to droids-only, and nobody wants to do that. I think a CE along the lines of San Hill may improve him drastically. I'm not saying the same CE, but a different and new CE that is good like san hill's is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Wheelbike can suffer if it means GJH becomes playable. At least the wheelbike is useful if you're extremely careful.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Fool wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:
Fool wrote:

At least limit it to force users with melee.

Hmm...but then Grievous' Wheel Bike suffers.

And the only real benefit the Aurra's get is Renewal (which wouldn't be a game breaker) but if Komari Vosa was on the same team........

ok instead of making it only able to affect melee pieces make it so jedi hunter only works when they attack adjacant pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:29 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

The wheelbike is a piece that can be playable, but needs support. Sidious, some weequay gunners and some repairers can do well to support him.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:42 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

A couple of quick fixes:

Nien Numb- give him the pilot ability. That way, he benefits from Wedge's CE.

Dash Rendar- Same, give him the pilot ability.

HK-47: Every time I played him in the game, I beefed up his armor and shielding to the point where virtually no one could hurt him. I recommend DR10 or shields 20.

Nym- instead of granting mercenaries double attack, which is essentially useless, have him grant twin attack. Suddenly, those mercenary figs seem quite useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:43 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I agree with all of above by It_murgen. Very good suggestions. Although Nien numb will still kinda suck.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

DR10 for HK-47 could really beef him up. It's silly, but that might be too much for his point value. He puts out too much damage to have no weakness (other than being a unique droid)

Last edited by punxnbutter on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:46 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

what about a single shield role instead of dr10? Then he'd have a 50/50 chance at saving 10 of the damage instead of the 100% of DR10?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:03 pm 

I like the single shield idea. That way, he stands a 50/50 chance of avoiding the damage.

And it is energy, so someone bashing him will still hurt.