logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Fantasy Flight has the license
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

They've made their first announcement...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=2528

I'm putting this in SWM general, because it sounds like one of the first games, X-Wing is a tactical miniatures game...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... nmi=X-Wing
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=2526

Quote:
X-Wing is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which players take control of powerful Rebel X-wings and nimble Imperial TIE fighters, facing them against each other in fast-paced space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates exciting Star Wars space combat throughout its several included scenarios. Select your crew, plan your maneuvers, and complete your mission!

They've also announced the card game, a cooperative, all-in-one-box (though I'm sure they'll do expansions)

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=175&enmi=Star%20Wars:%20The%20Card%20Game

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Flight has the license
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:53 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

...hmm...guess we'll see what it looks like...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm actually pretty happy to hear that; I generally enjoy Fantasy Flight games (Arkham Horror is my absolute favorite board game). A cooperative, all-in-one-box card game from them should be quite good, and I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on X-Wing.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Now I find myself dreaming about he possibility of a Twilight Imperium-like game where everyone plays an imperial governor, trying to quash the rebellion, make trouble for the other governors, and curry favor with the Emperor.

With one or more players secretly being rebel sympathizers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

They both look interesting. I'm a true Star Wars fan, so I will definitely be trying them out. But a miniatures game based around only X-wings and TIE fighters doesn't seem like it could be as customizable as the game we currently play. I know you can add different pilots, astromechs, weapons and such, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. I am, however, more interested in the card game. I have never played a "Living Card Game" where there is no rarity, just monthly expansion packs that will give you all the cards. Sounds interesting. I will miss the collecting aspect though.

Roy

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I wonder if we'll see anything about this at Gencon. I'll definitely be heading over to the FF booth and asking about it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think those games sound pretty exciting. The X-Wing game sounds like a lot of fun, with X-Wings and TIE fighters dogfighting. I'm going to miss the capital ships though, but perhaps if they make some expansions these will be included later on.
The card game is co-op, which will probably displease a lot of potential buyers. But if you want a good PVP Star Wars card game, the old Decipher CCG is still available, and alive and kicking with the SWCCGPC at the helm. So i think making this co-op is actually pretty clever, and a fresh breath of air.
I'm still not sure if i'm going to invest in any of these, but it's quite possible as i love boardgames. But they're definitely interesting, and i'm looking forward to seeing some pictures and gameplay reviews later on.

EDIT:
@eMouse: A boardgame like that would be sweet, but does the license give them permission to make such a game? I know it includes RPGs, card games and minis games. But does it also include boardgames?

Also, you guys going to GenCon: If there are any info at the FFG stand, please post any info you get on this product. Pictures, if possible, would be much appreciated :D

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:36 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

biggsy wrote:
EDIT:
@eMouse: A boardgame like that would be sweet, but does the license give them permission to make such a game? I know it includes RPGs, card games and minis games. But does it also include boardgames?

Probably not, but Lucasfilm always seemed like it was willing to be flexible with its licensing, and capable of getting all respective licensees on board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The license has always been talked about as card games, miniatures games, and RPGs, but that might just be because that's all it's been used for thus far, so it might include board games in the style of Twilight Imperium also. If not, something like that could very, very easily be branded as a "miniatures game" and still work fine (TI uses miniature ships, it's a minis game!).

I'm also hoping for a TI-style game. Star Wars would be perfect for something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:48 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Never question Lucas's ability to milk a license. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

drkjedi35 wrote:
They both look interesting. I'm a true Star Wars fan, so I will definitely be trying them out. But a miniatures game based around only X-wings and TIE fighters doesn't seem like it could be as customizable as the game we currently play. I know you can add different pilots, astromechs, weapons and such, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. I am, however, more interested in the card game. I have never played a "Living Card Game" where there is no rarity, just monthly expansion packs that will give you all the cards. Sounds interesting. I will miss the collecting aspect though.

Roy

Actually, the X-wing set sounds a lot like Starship Battles from the small blurb I read. It may be completely different, who knows. I think the customizable portion could be in the type of X-wing/TIE fighters you can have (ownership and models wise).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:56 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I have already sent an official request to Jeremy in Marketing to see if Gamers can preview the set so as soon as I know you will know. As soon as I have something to post I will as far as product info.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:16 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I know I'm excited about this.

Fantasy Flight Games makes quality products. I truly believe they'll do an excellent job incorporating the minis with the rpg as well. I'm pumped to see what happens from this point foward.

LONG LIVE STAR WARS MINIATURES!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:48 pm 

From their Facebook page:
[Fantasy Flight Games] Make sure to get into the demos of both games this week at Gen Con!

So they will have demos out for people to see what it is about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Take. Pictures.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Cool. Can't wait for more, but very glad to know more minis are on the way. This drought beats the two epic hiatuses of between Universe and Champions and between BH and A&E by a mile. I don't know much about their games other than they look pretty cool so hopefully that bodes well for us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Play a lot of FF games and have nothing but respect for that company. I really enjoy the living card games and do not miss the collect ability in the lest. The Lord of the Rings is their newest co-op LCG and it is fun, but i would complain that they have had some schedule problems getting the new stuff out, but i think that is taken care of now. Can not wait to demo this at Gencon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/2011/08/just-in-from-gencon-x-wing-and-star.html some pictures of the minis

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:27 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The minis look great. Obsidian Squadron!!!!

Concerned about the board, though. Looks to have no grid, which I'm not overly eager to learn to play without.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:45 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
What does the scale of the ships appear to be?