logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Winning the game (Proposed Gambit changes)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Mapmaker wrote:
I'm going to stay out of most of this discussion to leave the details to those better versed in the nuances of the system, but speaking as a map maker, I would very much like to see an option to define gambit differently on different maps.

The floor rules could (and I've often thought should) include a small gallery of legal maps, and the gambit area could be highlighted on each of these.

It would be up to the community leaders to determine the legal gambit areas on each map, but if you guys end up going in this direction, I'd gladly make suggestions for my maps and provide thumbnail images with your gambit decisions highlighted for easy reference.

While I'm not in favor at this time of Dennis' major change to the general game (and it should be obvious that he isn't proposing these go into effect without immense play testing, which he in the first post promised to do), I could be convinced for making major changes like those proposed, probably with some modifications.

What I think is more interesting, and perhaps a better way to go however, is to work on an alternative format entirely. There are a few reasons I think this would be the better solution. First, not all of our maps were made with Gambit in mind. Second, many of the custom maps, were designed with other considerations entirely. Chris as we all know, makes beautiful maps that we all enjoy, they just aren't 100% catered to our rules in many cases, which causes problems with their playability in the competitive game. But we were able to add a bunch to the Standard list. When we came up with the idea for multiple lists of maps, one of the "future" plans was to look at other formats that might cater to different maplists. I think a great idea, is to consider that we might be able to create/run a different format of play that can use many of the maps we all already have effectively. Alternative victory conditions could do that. It will take a lot of work and play testing, but it's worth looking into. And if we were able to establish an alternative format effectively, that would give us the option of running 2 different championships at Gencon, instead of just one. Even further, if after a year or so of play, if people started preferring the new format, it could replace "Standard" play as the dominate version. I'm all for trying out new ideas and seeing what can happen. I don't agree with Dennis that the current format cannot be continually tinkered with, or that his assessment of the "problems" is fully correct. But I also don't think it has to be one way or the high way. I would love to find a way to use other maps for another way to play, that will help keep the game fresh and interesting for years to come. It also could foster a greater use of maps that aren't as good for our current format, and help keep our friendly neighborhood mapmakers in business - which we all want.

I was upset that none of Chris' maps were able to make the Restricted list. That was indeed unfortunate. It was the right decision however, and I recognize that Brad and Dean made a very very tough call on it. I respect them greatly for taking the heat for doing it. I know a couple of Chris' maps right off the top of my head that would have worked great with alternative gambit locations. Even if they weren't the best choices for our current rule set, what's to stop us from looking at creating an alternative format that caters to other ways to play? Chris - I'd love to see a couple of images of maybe 2-3 of your maps on the standard list with something like this outlined just as a conversation piece. I think it would help people visualize ideas better.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:36 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Weeks wrote:
If you want to talk about a floor rules update to gambit I'm open to that. I however am not open to not rewarding players for defeating pieces.

Ideas I like

- no first round gambit

- gambit is 10 points

- you only score gambit when you have no pieces in your starting area

I'm open to discuss these points at the next update (January?) aside from that I haven't seen any I really like without completely changing the game. That being said I do like your idea, Dennis, but for a differant game type. King of the hill/capture the flag?

I personally would lean toward this (although I am indifferent about 1st rd gambit). After Gencon will have to test some games like this and see how it plays.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Demosthenes wrote:
I'm not a fan of anything that takes emphasis away from killing all your opponent's pieces.

Then IMO you don't like the current tournament rules, either. The goal is still to get a points lead and if you can't win by defeating all your opponent's figures, then you don't try.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:03 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Mapmaker wrote:
I'm going to stay out of most of this discussion to leave the details to those better versed in the nuances of the system, but speaking as a map maker, I would very much like to see an option to define gambit differently on different maps.

The floor rules could (and I've often thought should) include a small gallery of legal maps, and the gambit area could be highlighted on each of these.

It would be up to the community leaders to determine the legal gambit areas on each map, but if you guys end up going in this direction, I'd gladly make suggestions for my maps and provide thumbnail images with your gambit decisions highlighted for easy reference.

While I'm not in favor at this time of Dennis' major change to the general game (and it should be obvious that he isn't proposing these go into effect without immense play testing, which he in the first post promised to do), I could be convinced for making major changes like those proposed, probably with some modifications.

What I think is more interesting, and perhaps a better way to go however, is to work on an alternative format entirely. There are a few reasons I think this would be the better solution. First, not all of our maps were made with Gambit in mind. Second, many of the custom maps, were designed with other considerations entirely. Chris as we all know, makes beautiful maps that we all enjoy, they just aren't 100% catered to our rules in many cases, which causes problems with their playability in the competitive game. But we were able to add a bunch to the Standard list. When we came up with the idea for multiple lists of maps, one of the "future" plans was to look at other formats that might cater to different maplists. I think a great idea, is to consider that we might be able to create/run a different format of play that can use many of the maps we all already have effectively. Alternative victory conditions could do that. It will take a lot of work and play testing, but it's worth looking into. And if we were able to establish an alternative format effectively, that would give us the option of running 2 different championships at Gencon, instead of just one. Even further, if after a year or so of play, if people started preferring the new format, it could replace "Standard" play as the dominate version. I'm all for trying out new ideas and seeing what can happen. I don't agree with Dennis that the current format cannot be continually tinkered with, or that his assessment of the "problems" is fully correct. But I also don't think it has to be one way or the high way. I would love to find a way to use other maps for another way to play, that will help keep the game fresh and interesting for years to come. It also could foster a greater use of maps that aren't as good for our current format, and help keep our friendly neighborhood mapmakers in business - which we all want.

I was upset that none of Chris' maps were able to make the Restricted list. That was indeed unfortunate. It was the right decision however, and I recognize that Brad and Dean made a very very tough call on it. I respect them greatly for taking the heat for doing it. I know a couple of Chris' maps right off the top of my head that would have worked great with alternative gambit locations. Even if they weren't the best choices for our current rule set, what's to stop us from looking at creating an alternative format that caters to other ways to play? Chris - I'd love to see a couple of images of maybe 2-3 of your maps on the standard list with something like this outlined just as a conversation piece. I think it would help people visualize ideas better.

Thanks Bill. This is along my line of thinking. My suggestions/proposals are nothing more than a starting point for discussion and testing. They are not meant to be an end-all be all set of changes to the game. Any or all of these are worth consideration as are other ideas that could crop up along the way, and especially from other people. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I disagree. I believe it is still very much so relevant, especially with GenCon only a week and a half away. Perhaps if your opinion were different now, or there were guidelines in place to better deal with it, but it continues to be a source of contention.

It's not personal, either - merely a difference of opinion/school of thought.

EDIT: It was not much more than a month ago that you and I had a one-on-one conversation about it.

I was not contending the proposed changes, only the slight against the judges which, since we have had several conversations about it in the past year and you have my side of it, did indeed make it seem personal, trite and petty.

I have heard both sides of it since our last conversation, from the people involved and in various discussions with you and with them. The only one - THE ONLY ONE - who ever gets angry or considers the opposing viewpoint/reaction "personal, trite and petty" is YOU. In other words, you are the one who is offended, not me and not them. Understanding, acknowledging and explaining a differing point of view is not an attack on the person or people with that viewpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
I'm not a fan of anything that takes emphasis away from killing all your opponent's pieces.

Then IMO you don't like the current tournament rules, either. The goal is still to get a points lead and if you can't win by defeating all your opponent's figures, then you don't try.

If that's the primary concern (people not going for full wins), how about something like extending the official time limit to an hour and 15 minutes, and you get only 1 point for a timed win instead of 2. I know when the 3/2 scoring was first being conceived alternatives were considered; was 3/1 one of those alternatives? If so, what were the results?

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post subject: Re: Winning the game (Gambit changes)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

greentime wrote:
Dennis, we get it. You don't like the meta. You don't like heavy activation control and Arica/lancer. You have expressed this opinion hundreds of times.

Thanks for your input. I am glad someone is keeping count of how many times I post an opinion. I don't think I have a total of 100 posts, let alone "hundreds" on a very limited subject. :)

Quote:
Please stop acting as though having a meta you do not care for is a game-threatening problem that must be addressed with massive errata/rules changes/shaming players into not using good squads.

I care about fairness and balance of game play in the spirit which it was intended. It has nothing to do with what I personally care for, and anyone who knows me on these boards can attest to that.

Quote:
And this isn't even any kind of solution. What, if he leaves your seer alone for TWENTY TURNS so you can get 100 points of gambit? Does that sound feasible to you? Does that even vaguely make sense? (Hint: He can strafe it 5 times without even losing a lancer)

Hence invalidating your theory that I am only "upset" about the Lancer.

Quote:
In my humble opinion, you ought to play the some game more before you try to rebuild it. Movement breakers are the core of the game. Creating opportunities to attack your opponent at low or no risk to yourself is the core of the game. It is my opponent's task to attack my pieces. Making it possible or easy is not my job.

Again - and this is not a personal attack on anyone - there is a somewhat dominant school of thought that is in conflict with this opinion. I happen to agree with you but I am not a judge at the major events.

Quote:
There are strategies in most every game that a fraction of the player base finds unappealing or even frustrating or infuriating. The more complex the rules, the worse it gets. By the Coruscant expansion, SWCCG had gotten so complex and sprawled so widely that they added shields to try to rein in the less pleasant or "Star Wars-y" tactics. Even today some people build "shield-buster" decks to try and get around that and play abusive cards anyway. Maybe SWM needs more pieces that protect against lancer ganking. But having Han shoot you from across the table while you can't do anything is pretty bad too. Or trying to hustle your melee pieces through a corridor jammed with 10 mouse droids. Or having the Yammosk steal your CE. Or any number of other things. Right now all of those things are part of the game. Over time we as a group have to decide what to keep, what to nerf, and what new things to add. By nature, that will be a gradual process.

Unilateral, sweeping changes to the rules and the game's core activities are not the way to effect such changes.

Completely agree with you. But I also believe that the proposal starts with the largest extreme and then we scale back to the middle ground. This ensures all the bases are covered. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

If that's the primary concern (people not going for full wins), how about something like extending the official time limit to an hour and 15 minutes, and you get only 1 point for a timed win instead of 2. I know when the 3/2 scoring was first being conceived alternatives were considered; was 3/1 one of those alternatives? If so, what were the results?

I don't know the answer to the question about the results, my guess is that is something for Bill or Dean.

Regarding the increase to time limit, my prediction is it just means the slow player would have an additional 15 minutes to stall before going for the come-from-behind point lead. Maybe reducing the time limit would have more impact, lol. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:27 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Echo wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

I don't know the answer to the question about the results, my guess is that is something for Bill or Dean.

Regarding the increase to time limit, my prediction is it just means the slow player would have an additional 15 minutes to stall before going for the come-from-behind point lead. Maybe reducing the time limit would have more impact, lol. :)

The extension of the time limit would have to be done along with the reduction of timed wins to just 1 point. Yeah, you have an extra 15 minutes to get the come-from-behind point lead, but that only gets you a single point. I'd think that just getting 1 point instead of 2 makes a pretty big difference. The extra time allows players who are honestly trying to get the 3 point win but can't do it in an hour for some reason (bad luck, bad matchup, whatever) to have a little more breathing room to get those 3 points, since getting 1 point instead of 2 is a big difference.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Echo wrote:
The extension of the time limit would have to be done along with the reduction of timed wins to just 1 point. Yeah, you have an extra 15 minutes to get the come-from-behind point lead, but that only gets you a single point. I'd think that just getting 1 point instead of 2 makes a pretty big difference. The extra time allows players who are honestly trying to get the 3 point win but can't do it in an hour for some reason (bad luck, bad matchup, whatever) to have a little more breathing room to get those 3 points, since getting 1 point instead of 2 is a big difference.

This is the best idea I've heard yet. Obviously, it needs testing (as do all these ideas). Speed of play wasn't a concern for me at all last year, but I guess it must've been for others; in that case, maybe a 3/1 scoring system will accomplish the goal better than a 3/2 scoring system. Going 6-1 with six 1pt wins won't get you very far. :)

The only problem with that system is that going 1-2 with a 3pt win gives you just as many points as going 3-0 with 1pt wins. Maybe that's a bad thing, or maybe it just further illustrates the point that an incomplete "victory" is no victory at all. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:50 pm 

One of the ideas we've floated around in discussions amongst the Chicago/Michigan crowds have been variations on the scoring system. I will give one example, but there are others, and ways to tweak this as desired.

Just for example, the following I give you:

3Pts - full win, yada yada, same as before.
2pts - tie breaker win where you score 3/4 of the required points. Can also be tied into playing a required number of rounds (for example 8 minimum to qualify)
1Pt - Less than 3/4 of the build total in a tie breaker win
0 pt - loss
1pt - loss where opponent gained a full win

Yes, that's right, in this system, you gain the same amount of points by winning a cheesy tie breaker (Boris' main concern) as losing a full game. With this, there is no advantage to playing a slow game. You would never even win a small tournament with 3pts (3-0, all 1pt wins) as a 2-1 player would almost always beat you. For that matter, a 1-2 player could beat you. The issue would come from two things. 1st, you'd have people complaining about placing lower than someone with a worse record than you quite often, because we already have it in our heads that record means more than actually finishing the game (even if it isn't true). But people would complain none-the-less. 2nd, you'd have to deal with fake full wins more often. I know it hasn't been a huge deal in the current system (some occasional complaints of it though) of people conceeding near the time limit to help their opponent. If you add another motivation to do so, the judge will have to be that much more adamant that all concessions after the 30 minute mark (which is already in the rules mind you) is enforced, and that violations result in disciplinary action - like granting both players a game loss directly, or even dismissal from the tournament altogether. Of tertiary concern, and very minor, would be the opponent who tried to prevent the 2pt win by preventing a final death in the late game - but that's an issue with our current system as well, and it hasn't been much of one. So I don't consider it particularly important, just worth mentioning to be fully clear about the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I disagree. I believe it is still very much so relevant, especially with GenCon only a week and a half away. Perhaps if your opinion were different now, or there were guidelines in place to better deal with it, but it continues to be a source of contention.

EDIT: It was not much more than a month ago that you and I had a one-on-one conversation about it.

I was not contending the proposed changes, only the slight against the judges which, since we have had several conversations about it in the past year and you have my side of it, did indeed make it seem personal, trite and petty.

I have heard both sides of it since our last conversation, from the people involved and in various discussions with you and with them. The only one - THE ONLY ONE - who ever gets angry or considers the opposing viewpoint/reaction "personal, trite and petty" is YOU. In other words, you are the one who is offended, not me and not them. Understanding, acknowledging and explaining a differing point of view is not an attack on the person or people with that viewpoint.

I don't think I've ever gotten angry with you, but when it has been brought up over and over and over by you, then it shows a complete lack of disrespect for anything I've said to you on the matter. You need to read your last line more carefully and take it to heart because it is you who has refused to see my side in it and now I'm a little irritated, nothing more.

I think I have shown far more often than not that I am one who can be convinced, you just haven't done that. It's all in the way you bring it up, it's never been about convincing me, just flat out telling people that I am wrong, that's what has gotten old.

Of course, I also realize, more often than not, we have a tendency to completly misread each other online, and I am sure it is quite likely here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:
One of the ideas we've floated around in discussions amongst the Chicago/Michigan crowds have been variations on the scoring system. I will give one example, but there are others, and ways to tweak this as desired.

Just for example, the following I give you:

2pts - tie breaker win where you score 3/4 of the required points. Can also be tied into playing a required number of rounds (for example 8 minimum to qualify)
0 pt - loss

Yes, that's right, in this system, you gain the same amount of points by winning a cheesy tie breaker (Boris' main concern) as losing a full game. With this, there is no advantage to playing a slow game. You would never even win a small tournament with 3pts (3-0, all 1pt wins) as a 2-1 player would almost always beat you. For that matter, a 1-2 player could beat you. The issue would come from two things. 1st, you'd have people complaining about placing lower than someone with a worse record than you quite often, because we already have it in our heads that record means more than actually finishing the game (even if it isn't true). But people would complain none-the-less. 2nd, you'd have to deal with fake full wins more often. I know it hasn't been a huge deal in the current system (some occasional complaints of it though) of people conceeding near the time limit to help their opponent. If you add another motivation to do so, the judge will have to be that much more adamant that all concessions after the 30 minute mark (which is already in the rules mind you) is enforced, and that violations result in disciplinary action - like granting both players a game loss directly, or even dismissal from the tournament altogether. Of tertiary concern, and very minor, would be the opponent who tried to prevent the 2pt win by preventing a final death in the late game - but that's an issue with our current system as well, and it hasn't been much of one. So I don't consider it particularly important, just worth mentioning to be fully clear about the idea.

I actually particularly like that idea, and have always thought that giving 1 point to the loser of a full win is a good idea. It takes both players playing a good speed to get the game finished, so even the loser should be rewarded for their game speed. My biggest concern would actually be your second point, with people reporting false full wins. I think having a good judge and having the penalty for that be very strict (I'd be in favor of the standard penalty be ejection from the tournament) should help cut that down, although in a really big tournament it will be difficult to keep an eye on everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I don't think I've ever gotten angry with you, but when it has been brought up over and over and over by you, then it shows a complete lack of disrespect for anything I've said to you on the matter. You need to read your last line more carefully and take it to heart because it is you who has refused to see my side in it and now I'm a little irritated, nothing more.

I think I have shown far more often than not that I am one who can be convinced, you just haven't done that. It's all in the way you bring it up, it's never been about convincing me, just flat out telling people that I am wrong, that's what has gotten old.

Of course, I also realize, more often than not, we have a tendency to completly misread each other online, and I am sure it is quite likely here.

Fair enough. Really there is no right or wrong only a difference of opinion and a desire to find the middle ground, which some of these proposals can do. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
<snipped>
2nd, you'd have to deal with fake full wins more often. I know it hasn't been a huge deal in the current system (some occasional complaints of it though) of people conceeding near the time limit to help their opponent. If you add another motivation to do so, the judge will have to be that much more adamant that all concessions after the 30 minute mark (which is already in the rules mind you) is enforced, and that violations result in disciplinary action - like granting both players a game loss directly, or even dismissal from the tournament altogether. Of tertiary concern, and very minor, would be the opponent who tried to prevent the 2pt win by preventing a final death in the late game - but that's an issue with our current system as well, and it hasn't been much of one. So I don't consider it particularly important, just worth mentioning to be fully clear about the idea.

I actually particularly like that idea, and have always thought that giving 1 point to the loser of a full win is a good idea. It takes both players playing a good speed to get the game finished, so even the loser should be rewarded for their game speed. My biggest concern would actually be your second point, with people reporting false full wins. I think having a good judge and having the penalty for that be very strict (I'd be in favor of the standard penalty be ejection from the tournament) should help cut that down, although in a really big tournament it will be difficult to keep an eye on everybody.

Just disallow concessions after the halfway point altogether?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:13 pm 

swinefeld wrote:
Echo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
<snipped>
2nd, you'd have to deal with fake full wins more often. I know it hasn't been a huge deal in the current system (some occasional complaints of it though) of people conceeding near the time limit to help their opponent. If you add another motivation to do so, the judge will have to be that much more adamant that all concessions after the 30 minute mark (which is already in the rules mind you) is enforced, and that violations result in disciplinary action - like granting both players a game loss directly, or even dismissal from the tournament altogether. Of tertiary concern, and very minor, would be the opponent who tried to prevent the 2pt win by preventing a final death in the late game - but that's an issue with our current system as well, and it hasn't been much of one. So I don't consider it particularly important, just worth mentioning to be fully clear about the idea.

Well this is the rule actually, it's just that the judge can override it and allow legitimate ones, but by the rules, you have to leave the board as is, and call the judge. Brad can clarify what his plan is, but I think it's similar to what was done at the regionals. Where any games that are nearing time must call the judge for a 3pt win, or they are going to only get a 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:14 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

billiv15 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Echo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
<snipped>

Well this is the rule actually, it's just that the judge can override it and allow legitimate ones, but by the rules, you have to leave the board as is, and call the judge. Brad can clarify what his plan is, but I think it's similar to what was done at the regionals. Where any games that are nearing time must call the judge for a 3pt win, or they are going to only get a 2.

I'm pretty sure my rule for Gencon (and beyond) will now be "200 or 2" plain, simple, and effective. We'll see though, it will be clear prior to the Championships what my stance is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:39 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

billiv15 wrote:
0 pt - loss

I would support this. It would be interesting if someone could keep an eye on the timed games at Gencon and get an idea about what percent of them end with someone 75% of the way towards victory and what percent are like the infamous Rebel mirror match when the only dead pieces are Lobot reinforcements and like Juno Eclipse. One of Daniel's wins at Gencon fit that latter description, so it isn't something that only affects new/bad/ultraconservative players.

Also, maps with custom gambit would be great. Why not do it that way? As long as the map is fair and both starting zones have equal opportunity to get to gambit, why should it have to be in the dead middle and yay big? You could even go further and give one side an advantage in gambit access, offset by a door/access/cover advantage to the other side. That would be hard to balance, but it'd add an entire extra dimension of tactical consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

greentime wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
0 pt - loss

I would support this. It would be interesting if someone could keep an eye on the timed games at Gencon and get an idea about what percent of them end with someone 75% of the way towards victory and what percent are like the infamous Rebel mirror match when the only dead pieces are Lobot reinforcements and like Juno Eclipse. One of Daniel's wins at Gencon fit that latter description, so it isn't something that only affects new/bad/ultraconservative players.

Also, maps with custom gambit would be great. Why not do it that way? As long as the map is fair and both starting zones have equal opportunity to get to gambit, why should it have to be in the dead middle and yay big? You could even go further and give one side an advantage in gambit access, offset by a door/access/cover advantage to the other side. That would be hard to balance, but it'd add an entire extra dimension of tactical consideration.

Agreed with the above, but none of my games at Gencon last year were particularly low scoring. Of my 3 2-point wins on Saturday one I had about 180 points, one I only failed to kill some Rebel commanders and I think Luke RC, and the third I managed to kill Nyna Calixte, Arica, one Storm Commando, and a bunch of Gran Raiders, plus collected plenty of gambit. You're probably thinking of my game against Jason A at the Owensboro regional this year, which did end with very little dead.

It would definitely be interesting to see how many of the 2-point wins are close to completion but don't quite make it. Are we having the players turn in slips of paper indicating a 2 or 3 point win? Maybe we can have players put the number of points they both earned on it also.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

billiv15 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Echo wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
<snipped>

But unfortunately you can't stop someone from picking up their pieces in disgust and walking away in frustration (ie just had some bad dice rolls or something and lost the last big piece, etc).

Also, if someone wants to concede they shouldn't be penalized and have to wait for a judge or continue to play out a game in which they clearly think they win, especially if their opp is playing slowly or something

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next