logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Equal Breakdown Idea
Total votes : 0

Post subject: Factions getting a more equal share. Thoughts?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:52 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Just a thought on the breakdown of figs we could see in future sets.

I am not a fan of the roller coaster type planning we see right now in the game. Rebels get 24 figs in a set, Rep get 2. Fringe get 8, Seps get none.

Why not a uniformed breakdown?

We could see something like:
Faction X-8
Faction X-8
Faction X-8
Fringe gets 12
Rest get 4 apiece.

Rotate the factions so that different groups can make their way into the Top 8 every few sets and that way the factions balance and literally everyone gets something useful.

No one gets left out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:08 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Disagree on your breakdown, but agree that all factions should be in every set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:13 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I'd like the see the factions get around equal treatment each set, that way all faction will benefit and will hopefully get more competive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:17 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Not Equal but at least 1 for each faction in each set, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:24 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I agree, there needs to be more diversity in the metagame. Now it's dominated by Rebels, Republic and Imperial.

Come on, WotC, give the 'minor' factions some love!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:56 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Menoth's Fire has a basic breakdown that I think works out well.

Each of the Movie factions gets 5 figures. A rare, a very rare, an uncommon, and a common, and then one more of one of them.

5X5=25

Each of the EU factions gets 3 figures. A rare/very rare, an uncommon, and a common.

3X5=15

25+15=40

That means that the first 40 figures for each set is already determined. And there are 20 more figures that Wizards can put into whatever theme they want to for the set, and it assures that each faction will have figures for collectors of the various factions and no faction will be left out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Ill say this again. Having themes for sets is a good thing. Focusing on 2-3 factions allows new players to field legal squads early on. We are not ever going to see Drew's breakdown, or any of the others on a consistent basis. The EU Factions do not merit those numbers - no matter what the fans think.

Because of the previous - I dont see the point of further debating this Drew. It is what it is. Either get it and stop complaining or move on. I am about to start deleting your off topic sarcastic remarks in every thread not on this topic.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:06 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

billiv15 wrote:
Ill say this again. Having themes for sets is a good thing. Focusing on 2-3 factions allows new players to field legal squads early on. We are not ever going to see Drew's breakdown, or any of the others on a consistent basis. The EU Factions do not merit those numbers - no matter what the fans think.

Because of the previous - I dont see the point of further debating this Drew. It is what it is. Either get it and stop complaining or move on. I am about to start deleting your off topic sarcastic remarks in every thread not on this topic.

Even if they don't give figs to factions equally, they should at least give OR, Sith, Mandos, NR, and Vong some more pieces, if they were going to make the factions, they should support them with more figures, even if its only 3-6 figs for those factions in each set, they should at least get something to make them decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:11 am 

Xanthan wrote:
Even if they don't give figs to factions equally, they should at least give OR, Sith, Mandos, NR, and Vong some more pieces, if they were going to make the factions, they should support them with more figures, even if its only 3-6 figs for those factions in each set, they should at least get something to make them decent.

I see this thought all the time. Its just a desire - not a fact. How do you know they ever intended to give those factions tons of minis? Or any number in particular? Don't you realize those were likely created to offer something for the fans of that particular EU?

Now as it stands, we know they are getting more next year. But to say that WotC "should support them" really has no basis. They have no moral obligation here. Just because they made them, has no bearing on what they "should do" in the future. There is just no connection other than the desires of the EU fans.

And because of those desires, you will see more minis. But I would be more than willing to bet it will never be 3-6 per faction per set. Its just an unrealistic expectation. IMO.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:27 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I really would like it if the faction breakdown was more consistent. I like your idea Lord_Nihl, just the sort of faction breakdown we need.

However, a themed set like A&E or Clone Strike would be nice once and a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:49 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

None of the votes are anywhere close to my "whatever" position, so no vote from me.

I'd kinda like to see everything get 1 piece minimum per set. But I also like the themes. As long as the pieces are interesting, and some new stuff is added to the game I don't care which faction is getting it so much.

If they came out and said something like "Mandos were a one time thing and we'll do this more from time to time with niche elements of the SW universe" it wouldn't really bug me. (And if that's the case, I'd rather they just say it than string people along.)

Regardless of what they say, I think Rebs/Imps, Rep/Seps, and Fringe will be the core of the game until the end as far as quantity of pieces and consistancy of top-tier competetiveness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:56 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Although I don't love the idea of truly equal shares each set, I would like to see a bit more balance. I know Fringe can be used to help any faction, but sometimes I like to keep as faction pure as possible in squad design. With just a few of the minor factions each set, the main theme can still be maintained, but then we won't get an all-EU set to play "catch up" with the rest (not that I think this will really happen). 15-20 figures for the set theme is more than enough and leaves a lo of room for everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:14 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

adder wrote:
Come on, WotC, give the 'minor' factions some love!

Not sure who you are talking to here. WotC doesn't even look at this site.

And while I agree with the sentiment of this thread, it looks like a duplication of something that's already been discussed on the WotC board (which btw, is a better place for this because that's where WotC people will see it).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:20 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

The factions aren't and IMO, shouldn't be equal. A lot of people wouldn't buy the set if it was always balenced with EU and movie factions. Should the vong, mandos, old republic ect. get more support? Sure. But having a predictable system per each set is just boring.

Faction support is great and all, but I don't think that will sell, therefore, the game suffers. I am confident in the people at WOTC. They know how to balance the marketing, gameplay, and units produced.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Over the next few sets, i think the rebels should get 1-2 pieces tops. They have dominated the last two sets. Enough. Republic should get 3-5 pieces because there is a lot of updating that needs to be done to the Jedi available, and lets face it, they could do it without redoing all of the Jedi out now (except bad ones) because the field of Jedi is so big. Those three factions should get no more than 10-12 pieces combined.

Fringe should not be more than about 10 pieces if that much - and no more Bobas for a long while.

That leaves 35-40 pieces that should be used to get the other factions up to date. I dont care how they divide it, just get the stuff out there.

Really do not like the idea that the rebels/imerials have another focused set coming out so fast. I think its one after next or the next one.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:57 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I am displeased at the amount of rebels and imperials in the recent sets. And we have another set worth comming next. Standardizing sets is just not the solution.

I really hope after Imperial Entanglements, we move on to the legecy era or back to the clone wars. That would be a welcome change, although I'm sure WOTC has a plan to keep the game intresting and diverse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:43 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You do know that Legacy is the next set, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:01 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

billiv15 wrote:
Xanthan wrote:

I see this thought all the time. Its just a desire - not a fact. How do you know they ever intended to give those factions tons of minis? Or any number in particular? Don't you realize those were likely created to offer something for the fans of that particular EU?

Now as it stands, we know they are getting more next year. But to say that WotC "should support them" really has no basis. They have no moral obligation here. Just because they made them, has no bearing on what they "should do" in the future. There is just no connection other than the desires of the EU fans.

And because of those desires, you will see more minis. But I would be more than willing to bet it will never be 3-6 per faction per set. Its just an unrealistic expectation. IMO.

I don't see how putting in a few few figs for each faction per set is an unrealistic expectation, 3-6 may have been a bit unrealistic but the EU factions should at least get 1-3 figs per set, that would leave a lot of room to focus on the 2 or 3 main factions that are the theme of the set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 am 
General
General

I see absolutely no reason why each faction can't get *something* each set. Keep the focus on a couple of specific factions so people can immediately play, echoing Billiv's thoughts, but the others should get *something* to help flush them out. Even if OR and Mandalorians are the focus of the next set, every other faction should get at least one figure... where is the harm?

It is no different then War at Sea when they added a whopping 2 Aussies (although I did cut a hole in the German fleet with them!). Wooo, I guess I won't play them (although technically you play Axis vs Allies, still historical gamers tend to play specific nations).

Although I did not see the counter argument this time around, mentioning Fringe, I do not see that as a solution either. Some people truly like playing Faction Pure (or at least close to it), the fact that your whole squad is basically mercenaries for higher and a token faction representative (be it Bastila, Nom, or San), some people just don't want to field that. Yeah, I know it is legal, but why 'diss' those who prefer to play faction heavy armies.

I decided not to vote because none of the options is what solution I agree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:42 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Sithborg wrote:
You do know that Legacy is the next set, right?

I do now.