logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Affinity Abuse
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:50 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'm not here to sparhk a huge debate, but I'm curious, does any one think theres a little overusage of affinity in the new set?

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nope. It's about time they started utilizing it more.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:05 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

No. Some more jedi for the rebels is a good thing. Affinity isn't too widespread, so it's alright.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i think they've done a pretty good job of it.

The FU video game that has been released tends to mesh the end of the republic with the start of the rebels. So the Jedi who survived O66 (Shakk, Kota, Kadus) should be both rebel and republic IMO as they were present in the transfer from republic to rebels. I have no problem with them as the set gives to 2 factions at once.

Garm is a borderline one for me. I know him from the Thrawn Trilogy and so i see him as NR first and foremost so i'm not sure why he should be rebel also. I guess he wasn't imperial but i got the feeling he stayed out of the rebel fight. Also his rebel/NR reinforcements seems a bit off.

I guess there must be some reason for it as Boris called it. So either he has a source on the inside of the design or he expected it from his Bio.

Still, garm adds a large level of complexity to both NR and rebel without totally mixing the factions together.

It seems in this set they've really highlighted the transition of Republic-Rebel-New Republic which is kind of cool as thats how it happened chronologically.

I think they've done a good job of it without going overboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:08 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Garm was in the rebillion. He eventually left because he couldn't trust Mon Mothma. And he contiuned to be against the empire, into the New Republic days.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:09 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

The only one I have a problem with is Garm. They didn't need to give him affinity.

The NR needed him, but the Rebels already have a lot of good CE's.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Garm is a borderline one for me. I know him from the Thrawn Trilogy and so i see him as NR first and foremost so i'm not sure why he should be rebel also. I guess he wasn't imperial but i got the feeling he stayed out of the rebel fight. Also his rebel/NR reinforcements seems a bit off.

It's explained better in his card's flavor text:

"This Correlian senator helped form the early Rebel Alliance. He later split with the Rebels to lead his own private army, but during the Thrawn crisis, he committed his forces to the New Republic cause."

That actually refers to the original Thrawn trilogy, where we learn that he had a dispute with Mon Mothma and left the Rebellion behind.

Quote:
I guess there must be some reason for it as Boris called it. So either he has a source on the inside of the design or he expected it from his Bio.

No inside sources to speak of, I'm just that good. :D

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:15 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boris wrote:

No inside sources to speak of, I'm just that good. :D

Protect your sources well you must ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I really like the Affinity, and how they are giving the Rebels a bit more variety with this. However, of all the Affinity thrown into this set, you'd think they would've given Revan Affinity for OR and Juno Eclipse Affinity for Imperials. Oh well.

I actually think Garm's CE is freakin awesome.

I just want clarified how all the Affinity works with CE's like Leia's. Can she give the +4/+10 attack to Shaak or Kazdan since they will technically be Rebel faction when they are in a Rebel squad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:21 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

LoboStele wrote:
I just want clarified how all the Affinity works with CE's like Leia's. Can she give the +4/+10 attack to Shaak or Kazdan since they will technically be Rebel faction when they are in a Rebel squad?

Are they technically Rebel? Or are they still Republic but allowed to be in a Rebel squad?

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm 
General
General

Jedi1972 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

Are they technically Rebel? Or are they still Republic but allowed to be in a Rebel squad?

They better be Rebel, otherwise Leia gets the Affinity-shaft, because a Han in a NR squad via Affinity counts as NR and doesn't benefit from her CE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think they should use it more not less.
As for are they Republic or Rebel? That depends on whose side your on.
The Jedi just after the Palpatine declared himself Emperor would most likely state they are upholding the ideals of the Republic. But as far as the new Empire is concerned they are Rebels and criminals.

As for this set it's nice to show that the Republic became the rebels and that the rebels became the new Republic. That is shown with Shaak Ti & Kazdan being both Republic and Rebels and Gram Bel being both Rebel & New Republic. It show the transition very nicely. I think it is a shame that a few more Rebels did not have Affinity for New Republic.

I know not everyone likes this and it is a case that you cannot please every one. But i would point out that the Rebellion did not start with Luke, Han and Leia.

On a side note Gram was one of the founders of the rebellion with Bail Organa and Mon Montha. The so called " Corellian Treaty" that was signed not long after Palpatine declared himself Emperor. So he was a rebel first.

So i am all for it, But do understand why some do not.

Last edited by dreadtech on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:11 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I like the affinity ability and don't think they have overdone it. It adds depth to multiple factions without having to make the character Fringe. It does bring up some interesting questions about CEs that refer to specific factions. The lines between factions are blurred in the SW universe, so why not in the minis game.

Garm makes perfect sense with the Rebels as he basically founded the Rebellion with Mon Mothma and Bail Organa. He just went into hiding during the time frame of the movies as he was very high on Palpy's hit list. Then a falling out with Mothma and we see him again as a major player in the New Republic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:18 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

If someone is one faction but has affinity for another and are in the other team they are considered that faction for CE. This is not new as it's been around since the Universe set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Actually, it's been around since COTF.

Anyway, I am most happy with the restrictive Affinity they gave Kota. Much better than just blind Affinity. I expect to see more of this when Legacy comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:15 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I like Affinity, and hope the trend in using it continues (with applicable characters of course)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Yes, the abilities work, if you are brought into a faction due to affinity you are considered part of that faction.

I don't like Affinity this much in one set.

There was about 1 Jedi fighting for the Rebels and that was Luke and they didn't need a bunch of beatsticks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:36 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Lord_Nihl wrote:
Yes, the abilities work, if you are brought into a faction due to affinity you are considered part of that faction.

I don't like Affinity this much in one set.

There was about 1 Jedi fighting for the Rebels and that was Luke and they didn't need a bunch of beatsticks.

Its from the EU material Drew. Geez, you get what you want and you complain about it :)

Seriously, what did we get, 3 figures with Affinity? Wow abusive. I like where its going. Its a great way to continue to flesh out the lesser EU factions that will always get less figures. Garm bringing Rebels into the NR is wonderful.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:

Seriously, what did we get, 3 figures with Affinity? Wow abusive. I like where its going. Its a great way to continue to flesh out the lesser EU factions that will always get less figures. Garm bringing Rebels into the NR is wonderful.

4 - Kota, Kadzan, Shaak and Garm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:54 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Lord_Nihl wrote:

Says Who?
This is true when ANH came out, the rebellion had been going on for about 20 years before then.
The new tv program is set in this 20 year time frame. I don't know if the rebellion is going to be in it but if it is i am sure there will be some of the remaining Jedi in it.

Can Gram bring rebels into the New Republic? It says Gram has Affinity so he can be in Rebels or New republic, It says he has Reinforcements 30
Rebel/ New Republic. Are you sure that's not dependent on which faction you have Gram on.
If not where does it state this ( officially ) That he can bring Rebels over to New Republic.

Last edited by dreadtech on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.