logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Prize support for regionals
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:22 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

These days we have to be very creative in gathering prize support for our regionals. We are in our second year providing it on our own after WotC dropped us off on the corner and drove off. Having run a regional myself under these conditions, I can appreciate what is involved in doing that. Communicating with both Justin (Md Regional) and Roy (Va Regional) this year, I must say both of them did an awesome job. But there was one common thread I discovered this year that I was hoping to touch on during the SHNN Thursday but didn't get to. There is an individual who has contributed prize support to at least 4 of the regionals so far: Matt Francella.

I attended the Md Regional and got to hook up with my friend Matt for a short time there. Even though I knew I'd likely receive one of the maps he'd donated I wanted another copy. He tried to give me one but I insisted in supporting him and Josh for all of their hard work and dedication. He still sold it to me dirt cheap...that's the kind of guy he is. Matt either brought or sent maps to at least 4 regionals so far. Does anyone realize how generous that is? These guys... Matt, Josh and Chris... all work hard to provide us new and fun maps to play on. They painstakingly walk that fine line now between giving us maps that are canonically correct without violating copyright laws and put a great deal of time, effort, and money into their work. It costs them to give their stuff away, and I just want them to know that I appreciate their efforts and generosity.

This is not a slight against Chris West. He is in a different position than Matt and Josh in that this is his livlihood, his vocation. He has no other income from another job to fall back on, so it would be more difficult for him to do what Matt and Josh have done. Still, last year at GenCon Chris happily donated a map to a special needs kid in my group, so I know he does it as well.

Thanks to all three, but particularly my buddy Matt. I owe you a wheat beer the next time I see you.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Post subject: Re: Prize support for regionals
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Matt is single-handedly responsible for providing us with enough prize support at the MD Regional that EVERYONE went home with something, which was my goal all along. I know that, personally, I will be buying any product his mapmaking team comes out with in the future, and he is always welcome at any event I run. I'm always telling people how awesome his maps are, and how generous he is with supporting the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:24 pm 
General
General

Darth_Jim wrote:
This is not a slight against Chris West. He is in a different position than Matt and Josh in that this is his livlihood, his vocation. He has no other income from another job to fall back on, so it would be more difficult for him to do what Matt and Josh have done. Still, last year at GenCon Chris happily donated a map to a special needs kid in my group, so I know he does it as well.

No slight taken. :) Matt and Josh deserve plenty of kudos for their support of the community. Also, for what it's worth: I did send out some prize maps for one of the regionals last year, but no one requested any this time around.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:37 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

looks like we're the ones that will be missing out then!

*except at GenCon..cause I asked and arranged :D

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Thank Ruhk for asking.

And thanks to our wonderful mapmakers (all of them)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Kudos!!! To all of them for their (Matt, Josh and Chris...) great maps in general, not including the prize support. With all of your maps that keep coming around. We will always have somewhere new to battle it out.
Thanks guys.

http://community.wizards.com/marketplac ... #388739657

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:40 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Jedi Christian wrote:
Kudos!!! To all of them for their (Matt, Josh and Chris...) great maps in general, not including the prize support. With all of your maps that keep coming around. We will always have somewhere new to battle it out.
Thanks guys.

+1.... entire play group agreeing with you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 am 
General
General

GeneralGrievous wrote:
Jedi Christian wrote:
Thanks guys.

+1.... entire play group agreeing with you

+1 to both GG's and JC's comments. Our league group loves new maps and all the guys mentioned above make that possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:20 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Jim thanks! It's noce to be appreciated and needed, and It been a big honor to provide something unique to everyone, and It's been in an honor being you buddy as well. And I do see a wheat beer in my future, in about 3 hours and 43 minutes, because I try not to drink in the morning. I try not to.

With the mystery map funded we'll have a lot of extra maps, so It looks like we'll be doing another League kit in August again.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:

No slight taken. :) Matt and Josh deserve plenty of kudos for their support of the community. Also, for what it's worth: I did send out some prize maps for one of the regionals last year, but no one requested any this time around.

Oops, I knew there was something I was supposed to do. :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg