logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Deep Vistas poster maps on Kickstarter!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 pm 
General
General

Hey folks! This isn't a Star Wars Miniatures-specific project, but I though some of you might be interested:

I've just launched a Kickstarter page where backers can pre-order my next set of printed poster maps! For the first time ever, I'm launching 3 related posters (6 maps) all at the same time! These share a fantasy theme appropriate to a D&D campaign set underground, but a creative GM could still use them in a game of any genre:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... er-map-set

These printed posters will not have the colored terrain lines on the maps, because the bulk of the audience for this genre doesn't care for them, but I will make a PDF version featuring those terrain lines lines available to all backers. That way if you want to play SWM on these maps, you'll be able to do so. (I don't think any of these would be tournament-friendly anyway, but I might be persuaded to do SWM adaptations later on if this is successful.)

Please check them out, and consider supporting the project with a pre-order pledge! This is the only way to get my posters with free worldwide shipping. (Also: no money changes hands unless the funding goal is met by the end of January.) Even if you can't afford to pre-order a poster, please mention the project to any and all friends who might be interested; a project like this lives or dies by word of mouth, and I need all the help I can get; this is a big one, and its success or failure will determine the nature of my business for the rest of the year.

Thanks, folks!

Chris

Last edited by Mapmaker on Thu May 19, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New poster maps on Kickstarter!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
hum...to ponder.... they do look really cool

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
General
General

Will it help to know that I personally had a character devoured alive by a swarm of flesh-eating beetles on the Chapel of Scarabs map? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Mapmaker wrote:
I don't think any of these would be tournament-friendly anyway
\

Are you crazy?

What Tourney wouldn't be complete without The Chasm Bridge

I really like those Bug Temple type maps. Reminds me that Dragon Age II is going to be out in about a month. It also reminds me That I'll have to pledge for it hehe.

Edit
: Oh and I guess you might be the guy to ask, but how would you recommend laminating these and the rest of my SW maps? I've heard mention of Kinkos I suppose, but is there a specific way to get them laminated? My old LGS used to have maps laminated, they were kept rolled up in a tube for storage, but would still lay flat when used, not keep a rolled shape such as posters do. Always forgot to ask them about that as well.. I don't wanna mess anything up considering I have only one of most all maps. So yeah been meaning to ask this for awhile now and just looking for the best way.

Last edited by Dimetrodon on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Dimetrodon wrote:
. Reminds me that Dragon Age II is going to be out in about a month.

You must PM me more info about this! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:15 pm 
General
General

To be entirely forthcoming: I have never laminated a single poster in my life. I know folks have done it with great results, but I'm not sure how best to go about it.

These are what I use to display and protect my posters, and I highly recommend them:
http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/new ... holder.htm

You can't roll them, but they do keep a poster flat, offer terrific protection, and you can swap out your posters as needed.

Dimetrodon wrote:
Oh and I guess you might be the guy to ask, but how would you recommend laminating these and the rest of my SW maps? I've heard mention of Kinkos I suppose, but is there a specific way to get them laminated? My old LGS used to have maps laminated, they were kept rolled up in a tube for storage, but would still lay flat when used, not keep a rolled shape such as posters do. Always forgot to ask them about that as well.. I don't wanna mess anything up considering I have only one of most all maps. So yeah been meaning to ask this for awhile now and just looking for the best way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

hmm those actually look pretty cool, might not be the easiest to transport heh, but how hard is it to get the maps inside them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Dimetrodon wrote:
Edit[/i]: Oh and I guess you might be the guy to ask, but how would you recommend laminating these and the rest of my SW maps? I've heard mention of Kinkos I suppose, but is there a specific way to get them laminated? My old LGS used to have maps laminated, they were kept rolled up in a tube for storage, but would still lay flat when used, not keep a rolled shape such as posters do. Always forgot to ask them about that as well.. I don't wanna mess anything up considering I have only one of most all maps. So yeah been meaning to ask this for awhile now and just looking for the best way.

You just go to a place like Kinko's (I go to the local UPS Store), and ask to have your map laminated. Either they can do it on site, or else they ship it off to a place that does it, and they call you when it's ready (usually less than a week later, for me). It's really as simple as that; you just want to make sure that the people doing the laminating know what they're doing...you don't want any air bubbles trapped in your maps.

You can get your maps laminated at either 3 mil or 5 mil thickness. Personally, I've found that the 5 mil laminating, while more expensive, does give a better result. The maps laminated 3 mil are more prone to wrinkles and creases than the 5 mil maps.

As for storage, I used to store my maps in a mailing tube, but I found that they tended to remain more stubbornly curled. Then I saw what STSparks did for storage, and I tried it, and I've never gone back: I recommend using skirt hangers (available at Walmart, etc), the ones with rubberized grips. I store 2 maps per grip, and that allows me to store all of my maps quite easily; this method also makes it very easy to find the map I'm looking for when it comes time for a game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 am 
General
General

Dimetrodon wrote:
hmm those actually look pretty cool, might not be the easiest to transport heh, but how hard is it to get the maps inside them?

They're open along one edge; you just slide the poster in.

(Now I have to restrain myself from a "that's what she said" joke...) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Backed.

As always, these look pretty amazing.

Also, for laminating purposes, Staples does it as well, though I dont know if they have the most experienced people on that job, if you know what I mean. Went in there to have a map laminated, he 'messed it up' (a couple air bubbles, and it wasnt as clean as it could have been) so he gave it to me for free.

You could also try teacher supply stores. We have one in a local mall, and they do it pretty cheap, around $5/map.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I also use those big sleeves I have about 20 of the currently and i get them through Amazon normally. They are just like he hard sleeves you put baseball cards in just larger. There great for using dry erase markers on with gambit, keeping track of points, force points and the erasing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:50 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Alright sounds good. I think I'm going to grab one of those sleeve to try it out for sure. I'll probably also test out an extra map for laminating too. but that giant sleeve might be cooler especially if you can use dry erase markers on it. seems very useful for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it's a big help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

+1 for the giant sleeves. I have 3-4 of those sleeves right now, and it works really nice too because I split up my maps in groups so I don't have to carry them all around with me all the time. You can easily fit 10-15 maps in one of those, but it does make them heavy. Like for instance, I have mine split into categories like:

Official Competitive maps (Restricted, and maybe my favorite Standard maps)
All other WOTC maps
Custom maps
RPG maps for the current campaign I'm running

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:31 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I work at a teacher supply and the price difference is amazing. $20 per map from Kinkos or $3 at work (without the homey i work here hook up) Hmmm work it is.

Now everyone at work knows I'm a nerd though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm 
General
General

Hey folks! This project got off to a great start (25% in two days) but new backers have tapered off since then and I fear it's not getting enough word of mouth to build towards the goal. There's a long way to go.

I know it's not primarily a Star Wars thing, but if you guys could each share the kickstarter link above with all of gaming your friends and do whatever you can do blog/post/social-network it, I would really appreciate the support.

I know there have got to be more people out there who would enjoy a set of maps like this, but they're just not hearing about it.

Likewise, if you know of any other good ways to get the word out, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Dropped a forums post at another site I go to and I also have a question.

Do you have any sort of business card type thing I could use to hand out at my closest LGS? they do a lot of RPG's there (sadly no SW anything) but those guys might be interested. like a cool flyer or something I might be able to print out to help advertise for you. would probably be a cool idea in general.

also you might wanna throw this up on your site, I don't think I saw it on the main page.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 pm 
General
General

That's a terrific idea, Dimetrodon! I'll get something together for it shortly. And there's a discussion about it on my message board section, but I do need to update my main page.

Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 pm 
General
General

Update: We're now past the half way point towards the deadline, but just shy of half way towards the funding goal to get these printed; unless they get a lot more attention from the gaming community in the final days, they probably won't see print.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and exploring other options to get the word out to more RPG and miniatures players; with that in mind, if you folks of the SWMGamers community can help get the word out to other forums, I'd really appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Does KS let you extend the deadline?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Same question as above, plus, do you have some sort of backup plan, if the unthinkable happens and the funding goal isnt met on time?

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.