logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Prize Support from here on out?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

First, Happy cinco de mayo. If you haven’t had a margarita yet, then what are you waiting on.
So I want to know what folks are doing for prize support at the local level. I know that prize support for GenCon is coming along very nicely.
Un fortunately after the Indiana regional I had at least one person, or twelve, complaining about prize support. We gave away a GenCon 4 day pass and tournament entry fee which is an $88 value along with half a case of various boosters. I thought this was enough considering one of the 12 people was the guy at the game store running the register who didn’t take any prizes.
So my question to the community, what do you want as prize support for large tournaments?
Would you like prints like this?

[url]Image[/url]
[url]Image[/url]

Or tshirts like this?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/strangelydrawn/t-shirts/6243265-teamwork
[url]http://www.redbubble.com/people/6amcrisis/t-shirts/6943691-darth-lebowski-the-force-abides-man[[/url]

One thing that we gave away for the release tournament of DOTF force were some lego sets. Is this something that folks are interested in?
http://shop.lego.com/Product/AssetPopup.aspx?p=8084&AssetType=49&s_button=moreViews
http://shop.lego.com/Product/AssetPopup.aspx?p=7913&AssetType=49&s_button=moreViews

Or are most of you interested in getting minis even though you have them all?

Post subject: Re: Prize Support from here on out?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:07 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I love the Chewbacca poker picture! Classic. 8-) And I want a T-shirt that says "Han Shot First" (or some other SW expression)...you cannot be a Star Wars fan without one!

I don't think we need to worry about more minis too much, unless people want more minis for customization purposes. I'm not a customizer though, so I think it's better to let those people comment. But no, I personally don't need more of the minis that I already have.

IMHO, one of the best possible prize possibilities would be custom minis which correspond to the new virtual minis being released (V-sets 1-2, Epic minis, Theed minis). I'd be happy to pay good money for well-made minis of V-set figs, so winning those as prize support would be wonderful. Could you imagine winning a complete set of customs for V-set 2 at Gencon? :shock: That would be cool.

I just had another idea, though it is quite "out there." I've seen that some people can make molds of minis, and then reproduce multiples of them. What if someone took a custom mini they had made to serve as a V-set fig (ie, a Exar Kun, DFS that actually looks like the fig on the card), took a mold of it, and then made and painted multiple copies to serve as prizes? If they were done well, they could even become kind of like bit of collector's items: Exar and Bastilla in 2011, Atris and (someone else) in 2012, etc. Mass-producing customs could be a very cool thing. I know this idea is quite "out there," but I figured I'd suggest it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I won't be going to Gencon, but I will say that any kind of Star Wars schwag sounds good. Prints, t-shirts, maps, tiles, terrain pieces etc. And I can't imagine that most folks wouldn't love to get a nice custom of a v-set piece. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I agree with Trevor that, for me, a really well-made custom of a V-Set fig would be about the most awesome prize I could imagine, mostly because my own lack of artistic ability means that I'll never be able to make cool custom figs for myself.

But yeah, old boosters, not that exciting to me--I mean, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating cookies, but mostly I've got the minis I need.

Oh, and the Tie Fighter North By Northwest print is freaking awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

i think the prints are a great idea. Maps would be another good idea i think. t- shirts work as along as they are star wars related, and legos star wars stuff is cool too. Customs would be awesome too though.

For some other ideas i would say card sleeve protectors, v-sets(both cut and uncut)would be cool, and Star wars rp stuff would be great. I know the rp stuff is sometimes hard to find, or getting that way as of late, but it would be cool if you could find some of it for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

- Looking down - Right Cookies? :)

For the K-Town challenge we gaver away a complete custom set of DOTF. It was pretty cool. We also had some custom made trophies from Engineer. I know in the past that I have worked with the custom map guys for rize support.

Thanks for the quick feed back

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:23 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I've been giving out a link to a website I found online that sells $75 MotF and DT cases to any Regionals TOs that have asked. I also think getting League Kits from Matt Francella is a good idea, but if you want to order a league kit, be sure to send him a message and tell him you're ordering a League Kit and I think he prices them differently.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:32 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Here is an idea I had I while ago. Very simple but I never did anything with it.

My old friend Sithfan gave me this custom he made years ago.

I would always use him in tournaments whenever I have a Gran in the squad and my opponents always got a kick out of him.

I was thinking that it would be a funny lighthearted way of actually handing out warnings and cautions by having the event judge slap one of these on the table with a paper card over the knife. Of course this may just encourage players to behave in such a way to make the judge break out the Gran. :lol:

Not really a prize per se, more of a acoutrement for a league/TO kit.