logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Why isn't there more excitement about Regionals this year?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Jedicartographer wrote:
I'm excited! I love getting together with everone. No to mention I get to pimp the new maps! Can't wait till this Saturday. Last year I came in 15th outta 15, Hopefully if the game is still growing I'll be like 20th outta 20!

PLUS Virginia regionals is around the corder as well!

I nearly jumped for joy when you told me League Kit 2 would be ready for MD Regionals, it looks awesome! And hey, with the numbers we're expecting, you might be able to aspire for 30th out of 30, Matt! lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Chicago at least into the city is not as close as Michigan. However, it is surely much closer than KY. Forgot the fine players from Illinois, but was not sure any were going to be coming this year. Perhaps you can bend some ears if you come to the Kokomo Regional and we mightget a few that would/could come the the Chi. Regional. Look forward seeing everyone in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:57 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I'm pretty excited about Regionals, especially now that Missouri is having one. I wish I were a bit closer to all the other Regionals--I'd love to do more than one--but it looks like Omaha has evaporated, and it was the only one that was an easy drive. There's an outside chance I'll be able to make Chicago (it depends on whether my girlfriend and I end up taking a trip to see her family, and whether I can get out of hanging with said family for a few hours on a Saturday), although I'm so rusty that I'm not sure I'd add much more than target practice for the rest of you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:23 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I just think people are less interested overall and many have picked up other games. I know here we have played very few times over the last few months due to life and schedule changes. I was really excited to go to Kokomo this weekend but half of our group has suddenly dropped out and I had two vehicles come up with problems today. At this point I dont know if we will be able to make it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I know about the propensity of people to pick up new games, but unless you totally sell your collection, why would anyone stop playing? I would think you would play as much as possible to see the game still is competitive and as fresh as possible as new sets, combos, etc. are realized. I know I have sunk far too much time and money in the game and glean so much enjoyment from it to abandon it. I too may try new games in the future but I would hate to see this game flame out in our community and with my friends. PS, hope you can somehow make it this Sat. if so have a safe trip...Les promises donuts!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:50 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Because of my situation, I didn't know if I could make ANY regionals this year, certainly not GenCon. I worked hard to bring a regional to the Pa/Md area last year, and was worried that because I couldn't do it again this year, it might just die. However, Justin has worked even harder this year to make the Md regional a reality, and it looks at this point that I'll actually be able to play. I'm more excited than last year because this just might be my GenCon this year. I want to do well, but I also want to see old and new friends and have a blast playing minis all freakin' day.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WacoBlaze wrote:
Chicago at least into the city is not as close as Michigan. However, it is surely much closer than KY. Forgot the fine players from Illinois, but was not sure any were going to be coming this year. Perhaps you can bend some ears if you come to the Kokomo Regional and we mightget a few that would/could come the the Chi. Regional. Look forward seeing everyone in a few days.

Maybe the Michigan boarder is closer, but where the regional is held is not closer. Yup - just google mapped it, and it's 30 minutes further (at least from Kokomo itsself).

Keep in mind you won't be hitting traffic on a Saturday mid-morning.

I understand why you try and forget about Chicago, you're still salty we came down and won your Regional last year. (All playful jest meant in good fun, I assure you)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WacoBlaze wrote:
I know about the propensity of people to pick up new games, but unless you totally sell your collection, why would anyone stop playing? I would think you would play as much as possible to see the game still is competitive and as fresh as possible as new sets, combos, etc. are realized. I know I have sunk far too much time and money in the game and glean so much enjoyment from it to abandon it. I too may try new games in the future but I would hate to see this game flame out in our community and with my friends. PS, hope you can somehow make it this Sat. if so have a safe trip...Les promises donuts!

I can't speak for others, but I can tell you why I stopped playing. I spent the first half of last year trying futiley to save a marriage that wasn't worth saving, and the second half of the year trying to figure out where to go next in life. I spent the first half (so far) of this year trying to achieve the goals I set my sights on. There isn't a lot of time to put into a hobby with that sort of stuff going on. I mean, designing stat cards is about the only thing I had time to work on for the game and was happy to do so for the community. But my actual play time has greatly diminished, sadly.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
My issue is that I don't have a group anymore. Even when I try to plan things with the FLGS it often turns out to be me and Hanna and that's it. However I have found success with mass battles and special scenarios at special Game days like the Star Wars game day and I'm hoping to have a good turn out to the Last Rebel standing event coming up on May 22nd.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ah yes, Boris I did forget the actual realities of life, so sorry about your very difficult year. I know it is very hard as well when people simply decide they don't want to play and you are stuck. Vassal is nice, but is simply no replacement for a face-to-face game with a friend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:09 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

to be honest my play group currently consists of my wife, her brother, myself, and occasionally a few friends of ours. We at one time had a play group that consisted of about 12 people a half hour north of us, but most of those people decided that they didn't want to play the game anymore because of the lack of support.

now on to the topic of the Thread. I AM EXITED!!!!!!!! :r2line: :lol: i have been ready for regionals since december since this is my first time being able to go. I have had bad luck the last few years with either money or vehicle issues on the weekend of regionals. Knock on wood this year that wont :DSBoom:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I know I still would have liked to have done something here in the Cincinnati area, but we just can never get any of the other people to get together. It's a combination of people's schedules, and their general lack of interest in SWM. I haven't played a single SWM game since December. :(

Still though, I'll have to check my calendars and such, and see if I could swing getting to at least one of the Regionals, just to hang out and see you guys. I'll probably get my butt kicked, as I have absolutely no practice with any of the DOTF stuff, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

WacoBlaze wrote:
Ah yes, Boris I did forget the actual realities of life, so sorry about your very difficult year. I know it is very hard as well when people simply decide they don't want to play and you are stuck. Vassal is nice, but is simply no replacement for a face-to-face game with a friend.

This is more or less what killed our local group as well. We could only meet at certain times on certain days at the lgs cause of conflicting schedules with other events, and when Id schedule events, after driving close to 50 minutes to get there, like 1-2 other people would show up at most, sometimes none at all.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Disturbed1 wrote:
This is more or less what killed our local group as well. We could only meet at certain times on certain days at the lgs cause of conflicting schedules with other events, and when Id schedule events, after driving close to 50 minutes to get there, like 1-2 other people would show up at most, sometimes none at all.

And it was sad to watch happen.
Me, with only like a 10-minute drive, wanting to play every time and couldn't because of work/family schedules.
There are still some people that would play, but I don't think the scheduling issues will improve enough to make it work, and like Seth said, it's a significant drive (for almost everyone but me).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:48 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

WacoBlaze wrote:

I dont think anyone in our group really wanted to stop playing. We just could not get together as much as we used to. Dennis had a big life change, the younger guys had conflicts with work and sports. I personally have had much more put on my plate at work and really got in to playing Heroclix which was my second game for a long time. I guess I just wanted something new after WOTC dropped support for SWM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
I guess I just wanted something new after WOTC dropped support for SWM.

Yeah, I was very disappointed in WOTC when they stopped giving out their prize support (even those counter sheets).

But I have been in high anticipation of Regionals this year, especially when there's a brand new one in my area (which is being held on May 28th btw, and I would like to see as many of you there as possible).

The game getting dropped did hurt, but there is still a large number of people that have kept playing. One possible reason that people have remained somewhat silent recently is they are mentally preparing themselves for the impending tournaments.

I think this year's round of tournaments will be a memorable one with the new possibilities the V-set has brought.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm 

I am definitely excited about playing in MD this weekend. It looks like it will be a great turnout. I'm also looking forward to hosting the VA regional. Should be a good time for all. Was hoping to make it to ATL and NC also, but the ATL regional is the same day as VA and I'll be travelling for work the weekend of the NC regional. I'm trying to keep everyone interested in the game up here. I know 6 of us are traveling up to MD this weekend. See you guys there!

Roy

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I am totally new to SWM (started in january) and was beyond excited about the Wisconsin Regional..............until I found out that it was being held the one and only weekend that I had concrete plans to be out of the state.

I probably would have gotten smoked in the tournament anyway but it would have been so much fun to go through the experience and like someone said above, play mini's all day!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

GalacticFunk wrote:
I am totally new to SWM (started in january) and was beyond excited about the Wisconsin Regional..............until I found out that it was being held the one and only weekend that I had concrete plans to be out of the state.

I probably would have gotten smoked in the tournament anyway but it would have been so much fun to go through the experience and like someone said above, play mini's all day!

Solution: come down to the Chicago Regional May 7th. Only a couple hours further drive, and if you need a place to crash my couch is free.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

TimmerB123 wrote:
GalacticFunk wrote:

Solution: come down to the Chicago Regional May 7th. Only a couple hours further drive, and if you need a place to crash my couch is free.

I appreciate the offer Timmer. It only takes me 2 hours to get downtown though (+/- dependng on traffic) so I would easily be able to make the drive down in the morning and then back home that night.

I guess it's a lot more intimidating showing up at a Regional in the city than at the location of my weekly league where Wisconsin's is being held.

It's tempting though. Very tempting. I may need to have a conversation with the wife.........