logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Custom figures for DOTF minis in Vassal?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:07 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I was just about to play a game on vassal, and was in the imperial tab looking for Mitt'Thrawn when I noticed Admiral Yularen there. I was confused for a second, then remembered he is the RM for Gilead Paelleon. That got me thinking about other RMs like the one for Sora Bulq, which, while as close as we are going to get to him for an RM, isn't the most jedi-looking mini ever.

The thought occured to me, wouldn't it be great if we could have custom minis actually up on Vassal, like Sora with a Light Saber. Now, obviously that could complicate things and lead to confusion, I am aware of this. The RM is on the card, which means it is easier to recognise who the mini is supposed to be. I also remember the problems I had when switching over to the updated mods, and how it meant you couldn't really play with guys using the older mods.

My thoughts are these:

1. The Vassal minis have their names on them, which could lessen any confusion with regards to which mini this custom is. I just think how awesome it could be to have your figure immortalised in Vassal. I guess there could be a community wide vote or something?

2. I don't think we can have people inserting their own pictures into Vassal if they want. I don't understand the science behind Vassal, but with the problems that occured between different mods, I guess something similar would happen if I changed the pictures to being my own customs.

So, this was literally an idea I had about ten minutes ago, and haven't really formed it into anything solid. But, would people be in favour of having pictures of custom figures for the new V-Set minis in Vassal? Are the drawbacks to this too large to risk doing it?

Sorry if this is a bit incoherant. I haven't written an essay in about eight months and am a little rusty.

Post subject: Re: Custom figures for DOTF minis in Vassal?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

The RM's are all set up in the newest version of Vassal, and thereisnotry made Sora Bulq have lightsabers, gave Jaina a purple lightsaber, and some other things. Is that what you mean?

EDIT: Okay, re-read your questions, and it appears you are talking about having full pictures of customized minis for the DOTF pieces. Sorry.

It is possible, I am sure. I'm not sure how simple it would be, though. Talk with Trevor, since he did DOTF the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

dvader831 wrote:
The RM's are all set up in the newest version of Vassal, and thereisnotry made Sora Bulq have lightsabers, gave Jaina a purple lightsaber, and some other things. Is that what you mean?

EDIT: Okay, re-read your questions, and it appears you are talking about having full pictures of customized minis for the DOTF pieces. Sorry.

It is possible, I am sure. I'm not sure how simple it would be, though. Talk with Trevor, since he did DOTF the first time.

I'm sure that if TINT can change the colours of light sabers and flip the images, then it is possible to have full pictures of customised figures on Vassal. My question is more, should we do it? I think it would be awesome, but I can see some possible drawbacks. I just wanted to bring my thoughts here and see if it is actually a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I'm going to vote "no". I think Tint's work is sufficient.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:42 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

It actually wouldn't be too hard at all to make it happen. The difficulty would be finding a way to decide on whose custom to use for each mini (Lily-Wan's customs are easily the best of any, IMHO). But even having said that, wouldn't it make more sense to just use the minis that are actually pictured there on the DotF card?

Still, I'd be open to the idea suggested by the OP, if we could find a good way to go about it. Once we got it going, it wouldn't be terribly hard to implement it...just an evening of my time, which I'd be happy to give. :)