logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Things a newbie Regionals TO should know?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:13 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Hey everyone. In preparing for the Maryland Regionals this year, my first large event as a TO, I've gotten the prize support, venue, logistics, and all that stuff down pat, now I'm just wondering how I should prepare for also being the judge, and what I should know about actually running the event when I'm there.

I've downloaded the FAQ, Errata, Floor Rules, and the DotF Cards pdf. I'll be printing out the latter three, but the FAQ was quite lengthy so I figured I'd just leave that on my compy for reference. I've read through the floor rules and the Errata, and am slowly slogging through the FAQ. Is there anything else I should read / know about for running the Tournament?

Also, what else could I do to prepare for judging the event? I've only been in the game for a year or so, but I've generally kept up on rules discussions, and I have a working knowledge of the game. What I'm lacking are some of the SA interactions that can get a bit tricky, but I'm hoping the FAQ will help me with that.

Jim has been a huge help giving me advice on day-of event running, and also gave me a good list of contact numbers in case I have any questions on the 30th, I was just trying to make sure I didn't miss anything I should be preparing for.

Also, how crazy should I go on buying prize support on my own dime in anticipation of Regionals turnout? So far, the prize support I've purchased equals about $320 (21 players). What if I end up with more players than that? I don't think there's anything in the form of SWM at the shop we're playing at, and if we get the 30 players that seems to be a possibility for this event, I'll have $135 over the value of the prize support I've bought.

Sorry that was such a lengthy post, just trying to make this the best Regional Tournament ever! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Things a newbie Regionals TO should know?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think you've done a fine job so far Justin. The only tricky ones are bombad gungan and strafing rules.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have judged regionals twice now and it really isn't that bad. Most folks know what they are doing. Here is the biggest thing. Be consistant. If you are not sure about a ruling, make the call and say this is my ruling and this is the way we are playing it here all day. It might be wrong, but at least everyone is playing by the same rules.

You are going to see Vong squads. Some where out there, there is a list of all the Force abilites that can and can't be used against vong. For example I can use sith rage since it is powering my own piece and not targeting the vong piece.

Make sure you map list is current and that you have a print out of what everything should look like. Whan you have 20+ people turing squad sheets in and trying to get them all in the spreadsheet it is easiest just to be able to hand a person a sheet and say "here are all the legal maps, you can figure it out from here"

One other thing that I have learned is that if all 20 of you go to the same place for lunch or dinner, you will more than likely overwhelm the place you all are eating at. Just be cool and make sure everyone back before you get started on the next round. i would figure at least an hour and a half to eat. That is what it seems to be taken with the entire kokomo tournaments goes and eats mexican. :)

On thing is clear communication to everyone. Tell them what you expect and how you define slow play. I normally say if a round isn't done in 10 minutes you should speed things up. Also let them know that they need to communicate to you if they feel there is slow play going on. It is unfair to you for them to call you over in the last 10 minutes and say hey this guy is slow playing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:07 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

As for prize support, I am always a supporter of everyone getting something. even if it is a common. So if you got boosters, I would open a 4 or 5 up and let the folks pick in order of there placement. This seems to work really well. Especially now since people are customizing more it makes it a bit more fun doing things this way.

2-4 should probably have there own prizes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

The single most important issue you'll want to take care of is to make sure Jim wins. Ban Weeks if necessary...use these next two weeks to formulate logical-sounding reasons.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Darth_Jim wrote:
The single most important issue you'll want to take care of is to make sure Jim wins. Ban Weeks if necessary...use these next two weeks to formulate logical-sounding reasons.

Just lock the door, and hope I don't have blasters :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:27 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I have discovered on Vassal to my dismay that Weeks does indeed have blasters. Dang it.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:21 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

LESHIPPY wrote:
As for prize support, I am always a supporter of everyone getting something. even if it is a common. So if you got boosters, I would open a 4 or 5 up and let the folks pick in order of there placement. This seems to work really well. Especially now since people are customizing more it makes it a bit more fun doing things this way.

2-4 should probably have there own prizes.

Usually what we did in Cincy is disassemble the boosters into tiers (R/VR, UC, C) and then pick in order of 1st to last, then do it in reverse. So last would get 1 piece the first time down and then automatically get another piece when going in the opposite direction.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:43 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

We have enough prize support that everyone will be going home with something neat, hopefully. I've bought up enough prize support for 30 people, so we've got enough, lol. I'm a big proponent of the "everyone should leave with something" type of prize support, so no worries there. :mrgreen: