logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tile of the Week?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Moderators I know this is sort of a customs thing but I’d really appreciate it if we could keep it here at least for a little while.

Every Saturday Morning from about 7:30 am to 11:30am I work on my maps and tiles. I was thinking about doing something fun but I’m not sure if anyone is interested so I’d like some input.

Here’s my idea- Tile of the week. Every Saturday morning I put together a 7X5 tile of something or other. Than I post it and people can just right click and save it.

I’d like some input on the following, what kind of tiles do you want, should they be standard 7X5 tiles or something different? Do you want tiles that are compatible with official WOTC maps? Do you want them for Miniatures or for the RPG?

ANY AND ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME!!

It only takes me a few minutes to put together a small tile so let me know what you think. I don’t really use the tiles for minis, but for the RPG They are fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That's a sweet idea!

There's a few different things that could be cool. One option would be tiles that could be used for the Tile Wars format that TimmerB has created on the WotC forums. For the most part though, just about any tiles are useful for that.

Another option would be to create some tiles that we could use on current maps to spice things up a bit. Perhaps a tile that would make Muunilist more Huge friendly, so that they could run down the center of the map more easily. Or a tile or two with some new terrain features for Mustafar, making it less of a shooting gallery.

Anythying that could be used on the currently available maps that would change the gameplay a little bit would be a neat addition. If you've played Halo 3 with the new Forge editor at all, it's really cool because you can play 10 games on the same basic map, but none of those games will be the same, because the map has been slightly altered each time. It's like playing a whole new map every time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:27 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Anything for the WOTC maps would be nice to start with, but am sure the RPG players would be appreciative for any you do for them.
Add on tiles or even extension tiles to make maps bigger would be great.
Thanks in advance for any you do. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:06 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Great idea - look forward to seeing more of your work.

Any generic tiles that could be printed multiple times for a mostly plain map with a bit of cover maybe would be cool. We sometimes play with 3D terrain/props for something different, but there are only the gray and sand plain maps to use. Something forest-y would be cool or lava-ish. Super sweet would be plain tiles with a bundle of map elements that could be plopped down for customizable tiles (over time, of course). You asked, so I'm throwing out ideas. :D I can assemble map parts OK, but am not artistic enough to create the elements from scratch.

I also am in favor of "patches" for current maps to change routes/gameplay for fun games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:22 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I'll agree that something uploadable to Vassal would be incredible, but I don't know who/where to go through to take care of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:24 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I like the Idea of making a few tiles that would change up some of the crappier maps into something better.I used to have the mustafar map, but when i went to Kuwait it got lost over there somewhere in my tent :(
If someone would scan elements of that map for me and email me the pics, I might be able to do something with fixing it.

The other Idea, the blank map with tiles is a really great idea, and its something I've been toying with for a while. I'd like to make a blank map, with"buildings" you can connect and add together. I was thinking of using 8X10 tiles for that one as well as all kinds of smaller tiles.

As far as the tile wars format goes, thats kind of what got me on this tile kick. Plus there really easy to put together, especially if I'm using terrain and objects that I've already made.

Thanks for the input! It looks like there might be some interest in this idea. If nothing else ties are cheap and easy to print. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:25 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Fool wrote:
I like it - if there was only some way you could get this on Vassal new tiles would be a blast for tile wars!

I've often wondered how I could upload my maps on Vassal. The thing is I don't really know anything about vassal, and everytime i try I get confused and lose interest. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The cool thing about tiles is that buying a package of Card Stock is pretty cheap, and anyone could print the tiles from their home computer then!