logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Thoughts on Mystery Map Design
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Jedicartographer wrote:
Bloomilk has kind of become my best way of staying ion the loop about the game, because My firewall won’t let me go to gamers at work anymore. So I am posting this here. If someone wants to go to gamers and post this in the mystery map thread there as well, that would be great, and I’ll check it tonight!

AG7 and I started a dialogue about this and I am paraphrasing some of our thoughts.We’d like you thoughts as well.

The goal for me is to discourage the same squads we see all the time. We plan on designing a map that will NOT cater to the regular squads.

My thoughts:
I want a map where

A. Greater Mobile is nuetralized
B. Yobuck and Ig lancers are irrelavant
C. An average melee beatsick has a good chance, when put in the right
players hand.

It just can't be balance and protected gambit, that's good for standard
play

I'm sure there are other standards.

AG7 thoughts
The only thing you can do about swapping armies (the other source of power for Republic/Imperial power armies) is add doors basically.

Oh, one other thing: I think really competitive maps need fewer places in the starting areas to hide commanders. All of the abusive power combos in the game rely on hiding a few key commanders away...

Pretty hard to outright nerf greater mobile on shooters; it's a pretty big advantage. I think there just needs to be a way for melee to advance 6 squares at a time and be safe from flanking shooters. If the map does have shooting lanes, they need to be short: 12-14 squares long at most, not running all the way along the map so that melee can base to catch up.

Yobuck and Lancer are confused by doors mostly; Yobuck can be slowed down considerably by hindering terrain - he hates Theed for that reason.

Josh and I are pretty much in agreement, although he is a bit more concise than I am.

We're still working on locations. one of them is just about set in stone, and I haven't desided yet on mine, but I may go back to my roots with a KOTOR Location.