logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Possible SWM License news
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lackey told our group about this note he saw on a blog:

"In other A Call to Arms news, I can now report that we did not manage to grab the licence we were chasing for the game - Star Wars. We weren't really expecting this one to happen (we made a sideways reference to it in the State of the Mongoose), but we got much further along than we thought we would.

The interesting thing is why our negotiations ended - another company beat us to it. We are not going to reveal who this is (you have heard of them), as that is their fanfare to blow. However, I am sure many will find it intriguing that the licence covers card games, RPGs, and... miniatures. Now, the company concerned is not known for its miniatures lines, which will probably put paid to my dream of 28mm multipart/multipose Stormtroopers.

But you never know..."

http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/

So, they are reporting that somebody else snagged the license before them, and that it's a company people should recognize. This doesn't sound to me like it jives with the details about the 'russian' company talk from GenCon, but maybe it does. Anybody familiar with RPG or trading card companies based out of Russia? This is good news though, if multiple companies are trying to get their hands on the license.

Post subject: Re: Possible SWM License news
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Yeah, I agree that I do think it's good news that companies perhaps see the miniatures line as viable. I'm just not going to buy another sw miniatures game if it doesn't jell with the current/past one. But...on the other hand...if they made minis that were the same size...it would be perfect with the v-sets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jhc36 wrote:
I'm just not going to buy another sw miniatures game if it doesn't jell with the current/past one. But...on the other hand...if they made minis that were the same size...it would be perfect with the v-sets.

Exactly how I feel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Agreed with the folks above. I don't see myself paying out the thousands of dollars that I have to play another version of SWM. If it works with what we currently have then cool. But I know that I will not be going out and getting a new SWM game. Getting a select few pieces to use for the V-set. Maybe. But I just can't get into another game at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

At this point a new SW game would need a really good mechanic for me to even be interested in playing. I'm no longer into painting pieces to play and carrying around metal minis (heavier than plastic) does not seem appealing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:08 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

maybe, just maybe(wishful thinking) if we, as a community can make enough noise about our love of the current game, then whomever it is that picked up the license will take a long hard concidering look at its game mechanics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:25 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Raylinthegreat wrote:
maybe, just maybe(wishful thinking) if we, as a community can make enough noise about our love of the current game, then whomever it is that picked up the license will take a long hard concidering look at its game mechanics.

Well, aren't the mechanics property of WOTC? I think the best you're going to be able to hope for is a new mechanic but the company is willing to fit existing pieces into that (ie: new cards).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

They would have to purchase the game mechanic rights from Wizards, much like Wizards had the option to purchase the Decipher mechanics, which they declined.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Azavander wrote:
They would have to purchase the game mechanic rights from Wizards, much like Wizards had the option to purchase the Decipher mechanics, which they declined.

Are you sure about that? I was a tournament director for the Decipher SWCCG when they lost the Lucas license. And I'm pretty sure we were told by Decipher that they REFUSED to sell the game mechanic to WotC because they had planned on using it for another game, WARS. Of course that could have been Deciphers way trying to save face.

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Regarding the company's fame, keep in mind who wrote that and who their audience is. It is not the Magic crowd. Mongoose Publishing caters to a unique clientele who probably has heard of this company, as they have a very successful historical gaming miniatures line, one that by all accounts rivals Mongoose on the international scene.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:41 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This is great news!

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Here's what concerns me (although others who know the business might have a better sense of how this works than I do): I agree with those who say that they wouldn't be interested in starting a minis game with new mechanics--I'm just not going to blow the cash on a new collectible minis game when I like this one so much. And I also agree that, even if the new game has a new mechanic, if the minis are on the same scale, it would provide some cool options for V-Set pieces.

But...wouldn't a company producing a new SWM game mechanic be way more likely than Wizards to be legally aggressive toward the V-Sets? After all, Wizards is out of the SWM business at this point--even the stuff at Target, as I understand it, is stuff that Wizards dumped at a discount, so they're not making any more money off minis, and if anything, V-Sets could help the secondary market for SWM which could in turn help build a perception of Wizards as a collectible company whose products hold their value. But if a new company is producing an entirely new SWM game, isn't the new company much more likely to perceive the V-Sets as a threat?

For the most part, I don't know what I'm talking about--I'm certainly not a lawyer, and I don't know the ins and outs of the gaming business nearly as well as many people on this board. But intuitively, it seems to me that a new company with an SWM license is more likely to make trouble for the V-Sets than either LFL or a company with an expired SWM license. Hope I'm wrong (and I'm certainly not trying to be a doomsayer--it just seems to me like an obvious concern that no one has really raised on this thread).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Eh, it's a possibility. The only reason why they would be concerned is simply because we are competing against them. Still though, LFL and WOTC had not been chasing after people doing custom cards for using things like "lightsaber" and other copyrighted names or such the entirety of the existence of SWMs. So I think the precedent has been set well enough that it won't be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I just feel bad that whatever company grabbed the license and starts making miniatures will already have lost a large segment of the target demographic: those who play SWM and don't want to adjust to a new mechanic and buy new pieces. I mean, sure they'll pick up new fans, but it sucks that we can't continue playing the same game where Wizards left off. The company will probably think that the miniatures line was doomed to failure because it didn't sell well, but they won't understand that it was just because we were still attached to our previous game mechanics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

buttcabbge wrote:
Here's what concerns me (although others who know the business might have a better sense of how this works than I do): I agree with those who say that they wouldn't be interested in starting a minis game with new mechanics--I'm just not going to blow the cash on a new collectible minis game when I like this one so much. And I also agree that, even if the new game has a new mechanic, if the minis are on the same scale, it would provide some cool options for V-Set pieces.

But...wouldn't a company producing a new SWM game mechanic be way more likely than Wizards to be legally aggressive toward the V-Sets? After all, Wizards is out of the SWM business at this point--even the stuff at Target, as I understand it, is stuff that Wizards dumped at a discount, so they're not making any more money off minis, and if anything, V-Sets could help the secondary market for SWM which could in turn help build a perception of Wizards as a collectible company whose products hold their value. But if a new company is producing an entirely new SWM game, isn't the new company much more likely to perceive the V-Sets as a threat?

For the most part, I don't know what I'm talking about--I'm certainly not a lawyer, and I don't know the ins and outs of the gaming business nearly as well as many people on this board. But intuitively, it seems to me that a new company with an SWM license is more likely to make trouble for the V-Sets than either LFL or a company with an expired SWM license. Hope I'm wrong (and I'm certainly not trying to be a doomsayer--it just seems to me like an obvious concern that no one has really raised on this thread).

Well if it ends up being the company I think it is, this was already addressed with them. If we recommend their characters as V-Set pieces, it's a win-win. They sell product to people who wouldn't buy it otherwise, and we get more options for character design, thus eliminating one of if not the biggest challenge we have with doing these sets - a finite amount of minis to choose from.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

My guess is that McDonald's picked it ip, and that we will have to buy one happy meal for each mini we want.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Demosthenes wrote:
I just feel bad that whatever company grabbed the license and starts making miniatures will already have lost a large segment of the target demographic: those who play SWM and don't want to adjust to a new mechanic and buy new pieces. I mean, sure they'll pick up new fans, but it sucks that we can't continue playing the same game where Wizards left off. The company will probably think that the miniatures line was doomed to failure because it didn't sell well, but they won't understand that it was just because we were still attached to our previous game mechanics.

Well, the trick with that is that it would happen whether we were doing the V Sets or not. If they choose to not buy the mechanic from WOTC, they would likely lose a lot of people anyways, who just don't want to buy into an entirely new game. Would have very little to do with us continuing the legacy of WOTC's game.

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
My guess is that McDonald's picked it ip, and that we will have to buy one happy meal for each mini we want.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:

I'm cool with that...chicken nuggets are great. Apple dippers and Darth Vader go well together

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

buttcabbge wrote:

I don't know. WOTC never really pushed too hard about the SWCCGPC, and trust me, THAT killed the TCG. Mainly, LFL and WOTC are still the main threats since the Vsets do use LFL and WOTC ip. Any new company may have a valid claim, but less legal standing than the other two.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:14 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Well if it ends up being the company I think it is, this was already addressed with them. If we recommend their characters as V-Set pieces, it's a win-win. They sell product to people who wouldn't buy it otherwise, and we get more options for character design, thus eliminating one of if not the biggest challenge we have with doing these sets - a finite amount of minis to choose from.

Cool. I was just curious if there could be trouble with a new company entering the arena. But if it is the company you have in mind and they're down with it, then this really is awesome news. If we could get new minis PLUS the level of thought and care that has gone into producing the V-Set, it would be the best of both worlds.