logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Quick, Probably Unimportant and Inconsequential Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So it looks like there are more than enough people wanting to get some of the professional-type copies of the v-set, which is great.
Now even though there will be the free pdf, I'm sure there will be some people who want to get the high-quality prints. Maybe this has virtually a 0 percent chance of happening, or is quite likely, I don't know: What happens when(if) people put the high quality prints up for sale on eBay? I am not much of a lawyer, but will this create problems? It's probably not an issue at all, but it seems that the "problem" of demand being greater than anyone (myself especially) predicted might have some baggage, for lack of a better word. Liek I said, I doin't think much bad could come from it, but I'm just curious.

Post subject: Re: Quick, Probably Unimportant and Inconsequential Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:13 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
So it looks like there are more than enough people wanting to get some of the professional-type copies of the v-set, which is great.
Now even though there will be the free pdf, I'm sure there will be some people who want to get the high-quality prints. Maybe this has virtually a 0 percent chance of happening, or is quite likely, I don't know: What happens when(if) people put the high quality prints up for sale on eBay? I am not much of a lawyer, but will this create problems? It's probably not an issue at all, but it seems that the "problem" of demand being greater than anyone (myself especially) predicted might have some baggage, for lack of a better word. Liek I said, I doin't think much bad could come from it, but I'm just curious.

Not an issue. People can generally sell any fan created thing on ebay without it being a copyright issue, and most certainly it isn't a specific issue for the makers of said product in anyway.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I've seen custom figures for SWM and heroclix on ebay for years....DotF is a fan created custom set much like the custom Darth Maul i tried to buy years ago and did not get. Yes, i'm still holding a grudge against the winner(all_mine8409)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I plan on getting my set of DotF and immediately putting it on eBay to make MILLIONS!!! :maul:

...just kidding. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 pm 
General
General

I'd be willing to bet that these will hit eBay very, very soon after they are shipped.

For V-Set 2, I'm thinking there needs to be a change to the way the sets are distributed. Part of the reason for all the current confusion, plus why I expect the sets will end up on eBay, is because it was done as a donation instead of just saying "Each set is sold for $X". I understand why it has been done this way, but unfortunately the incentive for the individual becomes to donate less and request more sets (hence the issue with asking people to reduce their number of sets requested).

Maybe a difference in wording the donation drive for V-Set 2, so that the sets still require a "donation", but make the allocation of card sets based more on how much has been donated, rather than how many have been requested? If the average cost per card set is $3.60, I think most people can afford that if they are already playing a miniatures game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wedge, I would tend to agree with you for the second set. I think for this first set we did it this way partly because we just weren't sure what the demand/interest would be, and whether everyone would pony up the cash for it. I think after this, it will be quite obvious that people will do so. You can still have options for people to donate as much as like $20, and then they can get multiple sets out of it. That way, some people can donate more, in order to help cover cards for others in their area.

For instance, I know about half the guys in my area donated, and the other half didn't. So, in a future run, those of us who donated this time could still plan to donate double the requirement, and each technically get 2 sets out of it, thus making sure that everyone in the area gets at least 1 set.

Regardless of how we do it, I definitely think we need to plan for some form of $X/set type of system. I think part of the reason for doing it this way was also because we didn't know exactly how shipping was going to work. After this, Dean should have a good idea of how much it cost to ship everything, and then we can add that into future Kickstarters as well.