Outside the Box #1: Biggs Darklighter
Outside the Box #2: Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
Outside the Box #3: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
Outside the Box #4: Darth Malak
Outside the Box #5: Anakin Skywalker, Sith Apprentice
Outside the Box #6: Obi-Wan on Boga
Outside the Box #7: Bastila Shan
Outside the Box #8: Corran Horn

We interrupt your Monday for a special Outside the Box election report: The votes are in, the results have been tallied, and you, the readers, have elected Obi-Wan on Boga as the next Outside the Box character. We caught up with Obi-Wan at the after-party in the old storage container in the back of the closet.
Obi-Wan: I couldn't be happier! I always felt that someone, somewhere must like me, and now I know it's true. I think I've proven today that fame and fortune and good squad design aren't just for the small and medium bases of the world. I think it wasn't just me that won this--this was a win for all the big-based miniatures of the world. We've been looked down upon and discriminated against since the beginning of Universe. And now we finally get our day on the battle map.
Inspiring words from a truly dusty, unused miniature. Unfortunately, Boga could not be reached for comment.

Obi-Wan on Boga is the only Unique Huge in the game (prior to Force Unleashed). He's also the only Huge with a Force Rating. And he's the only Republic Obi-Wan who's a follower. His stats and abilities are pretty good. They're almost identical to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master (an underrated piece, in my opinion). But his huge base is definitely a hinderance. Speed 8 and Wall Climber help offset his base size, but not enough for him to have a place in the competitive shoebox. I don't think we can change that right now. But what we can do, is think creatively to try come up with some competitive squads using this piece.

Obi-Wan on Boga [41]
HP: 130
Defense: 21
Attack: +15
Damage: 20
----
Unique
Double Attack
Melee Attack
Speed 8
Wall Climber
----
Force 5
Force Heal 20
Lightsaber Deflect

The Outside the Box Challenge:
Try to come up with a 100 point squad that could take on Bane and 6 Ugnaughts. A 150 point squad that could take on Black and Blue (LV or JH). And a 200 point squad that could be decent at a tournament. For mine, I'm also trying to make squads that haven't been posted on swshoebox by anyone else yet. For our purposes here, you can go ahead and assume huge-friendly maps for all three squads (otherwise, what's the point?).

Here are mine:

-100 points vs. Bane & 6 Ugnaughts-
"Hyphens Unite"
Obi-Wan on Boga [41]
Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master [35]
Ki-Adi-Mundi [24]
(100 pts. - 3 activations)

Charge Bane with all three Jedi. Obi-Wan (Speed 8, Wall Climber) and Qui-Gon (Master Speed) should outpace Ki-Adi and base (or get based by) Bane a round earlier. Bane can't kill either of the bigger Jedi with one Assault, but he'll almost certainly wound one. With two Anticipations, you should be able to win initiative, then run Ki-Adi up and hit Bane. Ki-Adi's CE lets you activate all 3 Jedi in one phase. You should be able to get off 100 damage (might need to reroll Ki-Adi's attack to hit). Bane can then kill either Ki-Adi or the wounded Jedi. Next round, you win initiative again with Anticipation (fingers crossed) and put out another 60-80 damage. Bane kills another Jedi. You should have a double attacker left (hopefully Qui-Gon for Anticipation). If you win initiative, you can double Bane and finish him off.

-150 points vs. Black & Blue-
"BARCing Boga"
Obi-Wan on Boga [41]
Clone Trooper on BARC Speeder x2 [58]
Tarfful [26]
Mas Amedda [8]
Ewok Hang Glider x2 [14]
Ugnaught Demolitionist [3]
(150 pts. 8 activations)

How's this for outside the box thinking? Four strafe attacks at +11 for the BARCs and +6 for the Gliders--you should be able to seriously cut down on the Stormtrooper population on the board. Granted, they'll die after one strafe, but that's how life goes. Hopefully you'll be able to do a little damage to Vader too, because otherwise Obi-Wan and Tarfful might (definitely) have some trouble taking him down. Against Vader JH, utilize Obi-Wan's Wall Climber to avoid attacks of opportunity and get out of base to avoid Triple Attacks.

-200 pts. Tournament Quality-
"Triple Threat"
General Windu [72]
Yoda, Jedi Master [64]
Obi-Wan on Boga [41]
R2-D2, Astromech Droid [9]
Mas Amedda [8]
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2 [6]
(200 pts. - 7 activations)

Three big, triple attacking beats to rush your opponent with. Windu's Master Speed, and Obi-Wan's Speed 8 help them get to shooters quickly, while Yoda can hitch a ride with R2. Yoda and Obi-Wan have Deflect to make the trip across the map a little easier. They all have high defense and a lot of hit points. Yoda's Force Valor and Windu's Extra Attack make Obi-Wan on Boga into a beast of a melee fighter. There's no shooter support in this squad, so it's imperative that you get to your opponent's shooters right away. Obi-Wan can Wall Climb over any melee threats, Yoda can get towed over them, and Windu can run around with Master Speed. Once you take out the shooters, there aren't a lot of melee threats that can stand up to these three.

Please take the challenge and post your squads! It's all about exercising your squad-building creativity.

What I learned this week:
Strafe Attack with Tarfful never crossed my mind before. You could even use the BARCs with Bacara too for +10 Damage on each Strafe Attack. I think I need to make that squad...

I welcome any feedback on the Outside the Box posts or my squads. I'm also taking suggestions for next time.

Here are some other characters I'm considering if you just want to vote for one of these:
[2 Votes] Bastila Shan (Old Republic)
[2 Votes] Corran Horn (New Republic)
[1 Vote] Darth Maul on Speeder (Separatists)
[1 Vote] HK-47 (Fringe)
[1 Vote] Kyle Katarn (New Republic)
[1 Vote] Warmaster Tsavong Lah (Yuuzhan Vong)
[1 Vote] Zam Wesell (Fringe)
[0 Votes for the rest, so far]
Aayla Secura (Republic)
Ki-Adi-Mundi (Republic)
Mace Windu, Jedi Master (Republic)
Asajj Ventress (Separatists)
Grievous [anything but Supreme Commander] (Separatists)
Jabba the Hutt (Fringe)
Guri (Fringe)
Anyone else you want to try to make competitive.

Last edited by shinja on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:05 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Question on the 100 point squad: How do you deal with the ugnaughts? Even on a huge friendly map, it is possible to use the ugs to make it impossible to base Bane with a huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:31 pm 
General
General

Solodan wrote:
Question on the 100 point squad: How do you deal with the ugnaughts? Even on a huge friendly map, it is possible to use the ugs to make it impossible to base Bane with a huge.

That's true. Qui-Gon can Lightsaber Sweep them, of course. Also, with some creative Wall Climbing, you might be able to come up behind Bane or something.

You could rush straight for the Ugnaughts first and try to clear a few before Bane bases you.

If Obi-Wan can't base Bane, maybe he can at least get adjacent to Qui-Gon and Heal him.

More than likely, Bane will activate after all of your Jedi, because of his initiative advantage. I'd just try to set up your pieces so he bases Obi-Wan first instead of Qui-Gon (since you want Obi-Wan to die first anyway).

It's not going to be easy no matter how you slice it. But if you want easy, don't use Obi-Wan on Boga, use Jango BH or something and blow Bane to pieces. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:15 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like the squads. Obi-wan on boga is a hard mini to use for a competative game. In a fun game, he can be played. I think you managed to find some good squads for him.

I'd like to place my vote for Maul on Speeder. I've seen a few decent squads with him, but nothing awesome. He basically has the same problems that the boga has, but he has smaller base and is faster. I think for 150-200, a san hill squad using Maul instead of Aura JH may be the best route. Good luck.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

That 100 point squad looks good; real low on activations but could be effective.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:57 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I would never play him in 100 or 150 because on Bespin you automatically lose. But at 200 thsi squad has donve VERY well anytime i have played it. It is the squad i let my daughter play:

Boga
Luminara
Master Jinn
Quinlan
JWM
R2
x2 snivians
twilek BG
ug

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:19 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

HK-47, meatbag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:47 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

My 100 point squad to beat BAne.

Obi-Wan on Boga
Luminara Unduli
Lando, DS
Naboo Soldier
Uggie x2

Unduli keeps up with Obi-Wan so he isn't engaging Bane all alone. The others provide ranged support.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:28 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

No squad idea, but here's a vote for Corran Horn