logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: 2011 Hall of Fame Nominations!!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:49 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Okay so I have my first four, the fifth spot not so sure yet,

1) Dvader831, Ray has been a class act all around from day one and his work at Gen-con is just one more sign of his being deserving of this honor.
2) Celestial Warrior, Brad like Ray has worked behind the scenes at Gen-Con and other events so that the others can have a great experience at the sacrifice of his own fun.
3)Leshippy, V-Set anyone? Les has worked very hard on this and it has so far lived beyond expectations.
4)Darth-Jim, Jim has proved to be a great foundation in his local play area but also his comments here are always backed by sound logic and a true love of the game and a desire to really have a positive effect on the community.

5) Tim Ballard, apparently he spreads himself around. I for one recall his work helping me on the rules to a new style of Dejarik, and it looks as if he has helped in other areas as well from running Con events and so on.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

Last edited by dalsiandon on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:05 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I don't know absolutely everyone, so if I don't list someone, don't take it as a slight, but I'd definitely be in favor of:

1. Ray Becker--great guy, great Missourian, great player, and great event coordinator.

2. David Weeks--Looking at his squad ideas, etc for new V-Set pieces has done as much as anything to build my excitement for the V-Set. Also I'm like 0-5 against Weeks lifetime. The guy freaking owns me.

3. Tim Ballard (timmerb)--He ran Tile Wars at GenCon, and it was, imho, the most entertaining event at Gencon in no small part because of Tim's demeanor and leadership.

4. Trevor Payton--Great player, and really fun guy to play against. Put it this way--whenever the message boards get rolling on some topic or another, I always know that Trevor's contribution will be fair and insightful.

5. Matt Hanson--Really fun guy to play against, and a great player to boot.

Last edited by buttcabbge on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:58 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Hey, Ben, you need to pick one more, buddy.

UPDATED TO HERE! Keep them coming, guys!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Many thanks to those who have voted for me.
I wanted to vote for 10 people, but since I'm limited to 5, I figured I'd vote for those who've had the biggest community impact, even if it meant leaving out some of my favorite vassal opponents and friends.

1. Ray Becker (dvader831) -- there's no good reason that he's not in yet, and every good reason that he should be.
2. Eric Frost (Ruhk) -- he made Top 8 in his first Gencon experience, and he beat me to win the First Ever Toronto Regional this year; he's also very committed and involved in this community as a mod.
3. Tim Ballard (TimmerB) -- inventor of Tile Wars, excellent player, Regional Winner, and he beat me at Gencon this year.
4. Matt Hanson (knightswhosayni) -- superb player, superb person, won the first Gencon Jedi Challenge (2008); every game that we play vs each other is totally epic.
5. Scott (Sithborg) -- the guy deserves a medal of honor for being a reliable BM Mod during these last few months! Oh yeah, and he also played Sith at the MI regional.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lancer Nation
Lancer Nation

1. RAY BECKER - DVADER831
Great guy and works hard for mini's and friends

2. Les Eller - LESHIPPY
Did goo work on the vset

3. Brad Phillips - THE CELESTIAL WARRIOR
3 time Gencon judge

4. Eric Frost (Ruhk) - great player and great guy

5. Scott (Sithborg) -Great guy and has hands full with modding at BM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

1. Ray Becker
2. Leshippey
3. Sithborg
4. Gm Brev
5.Swinefield
Thanks You Guys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Leshippy
GM Brev
Weeks
Darth Jim
Ray Becker

done and done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

First off, thank you guys for your nominations. I am very honored and humbled. But this isn't about me. It's about;

1) Darth Jim - a genuine friend to all and one of the best souls I have had the pleasure to meet. And he brought me to 'Gamers. What more do you need? ;)
2) Joe Becker - a great guy and friend, but mostly for having the insight to get the V-Set printed cheaper and therefore helping us all. We all owe Joe.
3) and 4) Mark and Tim from SWMiniverse - is there a cleaner, crisper, and better produced show on our bevloved game? No. MM and SHNN might have quantity, but the quality is on Miniverse. One of my favorite shows that I am constantly envious of.
5) Sterling Hershey - Simply put a wealth of knowledge and experience that still capitvates me and every gamer I know. And, he's one hell of a guy and has done a lot for the game...even after the cancellation.

Maybe I'm byest, but I have the upmost respect for all of these fine gentlemen. Even you, Mark! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:38 am 

1) Boba52 - Let me say that this guy is the most helpful person I have ever met. His generosity allowed me to enjoy the forums more and provide a newer atmosphere for my friends to play. Without his help and contribution, SWM in my area would probably be dull.
2) Darth_Jim - Genuinely the nicest person I've met in Gencon who generously given me and the other players rides to get where we needed to go without asking for anything and especially taken the time to help out in assisting me in getting a ride to the airport from great friends Matt and Jeremy. He's generous and very helpful in taking time to guide me where I needed to go to help Dean and the judges.
3) Jeremy Betsch - While I was pretty glum at Gencon, he came over to cheer me up and allowed me to play a game with other players in a 3 player team match. I'd say, without his help, I would never think Gencon could be this fun and exciting.... thank you Jeremy for being a great friend
4) Imyurhukaberry - A helpful person in backing me up when I was a mod during the chaos started since.... ahem
5) Chuckafett - Taking the time to maintain the GTL on Bloomilk is something to be recognized

There you have it, I have chosen my 5

"The Sith are honest about what they're killing for. The Jedi are pacifists, except in times of war. They're teachers, except when it comes to telling their students the truth. And when they save you, it's only so you can suffer more." - Atton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

In no particular order...

Darth Jim – Just a great person. Play him in a game and get to know why. Not just a great person in the SWM world, a real winner in the game of life with a huge heart!!!

Ray Becker-The man, the myth the legend! A great person!!!

Les Eller-Ran a great regional this year and was pleasure to talk to. He was also fun to play when he beat me in the Championship Tournament 2 years ago. And last but not least…Have you seen the cards for the new set? As a graphic design major I have much respect for it.

Jew3/James Wyszynski –Great Friend!!! First one to win 2 regionals in a season. Just a good player overall.

Urbanjedi-Jason K. – Yet another Great Person!!! Pretty much MI's main tournament organizers, helped organize two AWESOME tournaments last year. Works hard to keep MI players playing and hosts great times at his LGS.

Twice the pride, double the fall - Count Dooku

Execute Order 66 - Darth Sidious

If you're not with me, then you're my enemy - Darth Vader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

First, let me say that I am honored to receive ANY consideration for the Hall of Fame. I thank all of you for your kind words.

My nominations and reasons for them are below. Please read the caveat in the post following, because there are more than 5 players deserving to be in the Hall of Fame that people should consider.

Ray Becker. "Behind the scenes" has been a term thrown around describing Ray's continual and substantial contributions to our game. That also speaks to the type of person he is...never looking for credit and just wanting the best for us in this game. Ray's involvement is paramount to the success of our game.

Les Eller. Because of his consistency and contributions before the VSet, Les's name would have been mentioned, but after all of the work he's done...in a position that no one else in our community could adequately fill...Les's name NEEDS to be added to the list of those we all revere in this game.

Tim Ballard. Tim is one of the great players always in the running to win the championship. He is also an innovator, creating the very successful 'Tile Wars' format. One important additional consideration for me is his sense of fair play and sportsmanship. I cite the awards presentation of the Jedi Challenge at GenCon 2 years ago as an example, where he deferred prize choice to the second place player because Tim believed that the tiebreaker system in place back then was flawed. How many people in this game can you think of who are great players, innovators, and have that level of sportsmanship? He is one of our unique and rare players and deserves to be there.

Brad Phillips. In my mind Brad is the perfect template for a judge. He's a great player who knows the game, and can set aside personal bias such as friendship to make sure that we have a fair and well run tournament everytime he is asked to do so. There is an aura of authority around Brad that just makes him perfect to lead us. In the short time I have known him, everything he involves himself in is successful inasmuch as he can affect it. Brad can be counted on to get things done.

Jake Schuler. I have had to check several times to make sure Jake isn't already in the Hall of Fame. How many players can you think of who have goverment funding allocated for our game? Jake's creation and sustenance of the play group at Olivet College has yielded many good players in our game. Jake himself is a great player and a fun guy to play at the same time. His unselfishness regarding new players and kids is something I wish we'd see more of, because in addition to it being just the right way to live, it is a great way to grow our game. The effects of Jake's contributions to our game have even reached my group halfway across the country.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:48 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Caveat: Players I'd love to vote for and truly believe deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but I couldn't vote for because I ran out of votes are Trevor Peyton, David Weeks, Chris Torgenson (sp?), James Wysinski, GMBrev, Urbanjedi, Matt Hanson, Eric Frost, Phillip Carlisle and Scott Sykes. If you haven't voted yet, please consider these names as well.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:39 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

In a order I dont know what order but they are in a order.
1.Jake Schuler for his work with the OC swm club.
2.Urbanjedi (Jason K.) The best player in the state that is very active in the game.
3.Sithborg (Scott S.) For his outstanding outlook on life and does not let the politics of the game upset him.
4.Tim Ballard A super player and a great friend.
5.Matt Hanson One of three players I have never beaten with a five game min.(Deri M, Aaron B).

There are many more people who could of recived my vote it was a really difficult this year.

Good gaming Lou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The following are nominated for all the reasons mentioned in other posts, and for personal reasons as noted below. Here goes:

1. Celestial warrior (Brad)--It's been said before, but Brad just did an AWESOME job judging the Championship at GenCon. Talk about a high-pressure situation, but he remained calm and respectful to everyone and really knew his stuff, too. Also just an all-around good guy and a good player.
2. Jake Schuler--One of the most creative people in the game. Made me very cool custom YVOGs for my GenCon squad on basically no notice. We don't see him around our parts as much as we'd like, but he's always a welcome presence.
3. Nivuahc (Chuck Chauvin)--I nominated him last year, and my opinion hasn't changed.
4. Weeks (David Weeks)--a great player, obviously. The game we played in the Championships was probably my favorite, even though he Yobucked all over my squad. That says something about who he is as a player and a person, too.
5. urbanjedi (Jason Kiernan)--a bit biased here, of course, but seriously, he's had a GREAT year in minis. Organized two stellar tournaments in Lansing, not a city usually known for its minis scene. Michigan Regional winner. Top 8 at GenCon, with one of the hardest roads to the Top 8. He was nominated for the HoF last year, and I feel like this year he's really proved his worthiness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:48 am 
General
General

My nominations, in no particular order:

1) Brev Tanner (GM Brev) - For active support of the playing community through continuing production his podcast.
2) Ray Becker (dvader831) - For notable proactive community activism and enthusiasm.
3) Tim Ballard (TimmerB) - For his prominent role as the Tile Wars creator and continuing organizer.
4) Chuck Chauvin (Nivuahc) - For notable proactive community activism and enthusiasm.
5) Sterling Hershey - For continuing professional-grade support of the SWM-playing community even after the game has gone out of print.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Okay, unless the Nominations pick up steam by tomorrow, then we're going to cut them off on the afternoon of December 1.

If anyone has not yet voted, and know worthy candidates, please make your opinions be known!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm 
Flim
Flim

so im on my ps3 so i will keep this brief.
tim ballard
matt hansen
jason k
trevor peyton
jake schuler

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

Ray Becker AKA. dvader831 AKA. Darth Cuddles

Brad Phillips

Les Eller

Eric Frost

Jason Kiernan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:42 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

The nominating period has now ended.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2