logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Supreme Commander 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Don't know if many of you played the first Supreme Commander, but I am sooooooo looking forward to this game!

Here's the first trailer for the game to come out yet.

http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/4197/Supreme-Commander-2-Trailer

They don't show nearly as much as will be in this game, but check out the demo they have online to see the new units being made. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/supremecommander2/video/6211256/supreme-commander-2-e3-demo

another trailer i found is more recent, but its on youtube and doesn't have as good quality video, but shows some new footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMQl5pKF-gI

I loved the first Supreme commander game and before that I loved its predecessor Total Annihilation, which is 13 years old now (and the first RTS game to have 3D units and terrain btw). This game is really fun to play and each faction has completely unique units. I'm really looking forward to March! :D

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: Supreme Commander 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Really?? I didn't realize Supreme Commander was made by the folks that did TA. That's sweet. I loved playing that game. Get the massive rail gun/nuke launchers and stuff, lol. Good times.

Too bad I don't play much in the way of RTS anymore. Don't have a PC at home anymore, companies refuse to make their games Mac compatible (even with all the hoopla about using Intel chips :roll: ), and I can't stand playing RTS's on a console. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Actually the TA was made by Cavedog (no longer around since their closure :( ), and I'm not sure if some of the designers for that game went on the design team to make Supreme Commander, but Supreme Commander is considered the true successor of TA.

TA is a classic! People still make mods for that game and I love playing it still to this day! Nothing beats flying into the Core camp with 40 Brawlers! :D

Supreme Commander uses many of the same game concepts as TA and it is virtually identical, except for better graphics and three factions instead of 2. Definitely a fun game to play!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:18 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

hmm, reminds me of C&C or Starcraft. not bad looking. may have to check it out once its released.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:25 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Total Annihilation is quite simply, the best RTS ever made. I never reached "gnug" levels of skill in this game but I was quite good. I also worked for a long time on the Uberhack mod for it. I played TA until they took it off whatever that free Microsoft game site was called--so like 4-5 years.

The lead designer is indeed the force behind Supreme Commander. I enjoyed it a bit less than TA as so much of the gameplay (to be competetive) required zooming out to a macro level that just wasn't as fun to watch and immersive as TA was.

But I'll still buy SC2--the first PC game I'll buy since SC1. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

NickName wrote:
Total Annihilation is quite simply, the best RTS ever made. I never reached "gnug" levels of skill in this game but I was quite good. I also worked for a long time on the Uberhack mod for it. I played TA until they took it off whatever that free Microsoft game site was called--so like 4-5 years.

The lead designer is indeed the force behind Supreme Commander. I enjoyed it a bit less than TA as so much of the gameplay (to be competetive) required zooming out to a macro level that just wasn't as fun to watch and immersive as TA was.

But I'll still buy SC2--the first PC game I'll buy since SC1. :)

I agree all the way with you on this. TA is the best RTS I've ever played. That game brought so many changes to gaming with realistic effects (such as having the high ground was actually a good thing :) ). TA still beats Supreme Commander hands down when it came to naval combat. And there still is never going to be a substitute for the Arms Brawlers! :D

Hopefully Supreme Commander 2 revamps naval battles. It just seems in SC1 that the AI never really focus's on building and attacking with ships. SC1 is really good though in how you can go online for free and play against other people (although my computer only will tolerate 6 player games before it goes to slow for comfort due to all the things happening).

Both TA and SC1 are great games and they have so many realistic effects its truly amazing to think that the designers put it all in there. I can't wait for SC2!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I cried out like a schoolboy when I stumbled across SC2 on Gamespot. SC1 was simply fantastic; brought back so many good memories of TA. Though I do agree with NN in that I find myself zooming out a long way in SC just to be able to keep an eye on things. It's a good thing I enjoy watching red blip after red blip vanish beneath the guns of a UEF Fatboy. :D

Quote:
And there still is never going to be a substitute for the Arms Brawlers!

Truer words have never been spoken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:36 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Haha. Brawler "rushes". Noobs were funny.

TA never really had the visceral thrill of something like dumping a RA Tanya in the enemy base and micromanaging the masacre but there was something about the scope of the battle that was just awe-inspriring at times. Building the completely unnecessary Buzzsaw for the coupe de grace or seeing a fleet of 30 bombers crush and enemy commander that got too far from AA were hard to top.

Anyone play SC1 on the 360? I see SC2 will have a 360 version done by the original team and if the control is good and the graphics are at least decent I might opt for the comfort of playing from the couch on my big TV rather than from my tiny PC monitor--and I'm at the low end of the system requirements too. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

duh.. connect your PC to your TV!

easy enough with a newer TV, little technical knowledge and some adapters for older ones. Ma PC is pretty high end so I don't worry about that. And I use ma TV as my monitor so that is also grand for me :)

SC2 sounds like a good game. I'll put it on my want list :P maybe we'll be able to play together once it comes out. Hopefully it has a little more re-playability than Empire:Total War (can only beat the computer so many ways...)

Tell me a little more. I assume SC2 has no unit limit? Limited or unlimited resources?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:32 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ruhk wrote:
duh.. connect your PC to your TV!

easy enough with a newer TV, little technical knowledge and some adapters for older ones. Ma PC is pretty high end so I don't worry about that. And I use ma TV as my monitor so that is also grand for me :)

SC2 sounds like a good game. I'll put it on my want list :P maybe we'll be able to play together once it comes out. Hopefully it has a little more re-playability than Empire:Total War (can only beat the computer so many ways...)

Tell me a little more. I assume SC2 has no unit limit? Limited or unlimited resources?

You can set the unit limit to be very high. You can have an army of 1000's of units marching towards your enemies base if you want to making for some truly epic battles.

The way the resources work is simple: set up your mass extractors over mass deposits and build a lot of power generators. As you tech level increases, you can build beter power generators and mass extractors and if you have a lot of energy not being used, you can build Mass Fabricators that convert the energy into mass. There is no limit on mass and energy in the game, so feel free to store up infinite energy and infinite mass. :D

The way units are built is very cool and i love watching how stuff is built in both TA and SC1. Units and buildings are built by your engineers which use an energy stream to build you stuff. It cool to watch since you can see you units and buildings slowly get built up and all the details get added. Some things are quickly built, while other things (such as battleships and Experimental units) take forever if you don't have the resources for it and an army of Engineers to back it up. One of the really cool things that TA brought to RTS was the fact that you can actually salvage mass from units that have been destroyed. Its always handy to have a few engineers around to collect the spoils of war! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Yup. The resource system of TA was pretty revolutionary and SC1 was smart enough not to fix something that wasn't broken. I can't imagine SC2 will tweak it much if at all.

The progression from small skirmishes to massive land battles and long range bombardment is a real highlight and in TA at least (I didn't get into competetive SC1 as deeply due to SWM!) you could really win or lose at any stage of the game so it all mattered. It was quite different in my experience from the somewhat predictable patterns C&C/RA, Warcraft/Starcraft and AoE games tended to fall into. But, as with any RTS, you're much better off playing networked vs humans than playing against the computer opponents--RTS games are just too complex for today's AI to feel in any way like a thoughtful opponent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:51 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

So, did anyone grab the PC version on release? If so, impressions?

360 version comes out tomorrow I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

working on getting a copy.. should have it shortly. I'll let you know!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Just tried it out. Got through the first couple of missions, not bad.

Frame rate was a little low[1920*1080, 8x AA, 8x Antiscoptric] (around 30 or 40) but didn't affect gamplay.

I enjoyed it, will probably keep playing through the missions, of course I didn't play the first one, so I'm a bit lost on the storyline :P. Seems very starcraft like at this point, but with more units! Graphics are a little blocky, btu thats pretty average for RTS games these days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ruhk wrote:
Just tried it out. Got through the first couple of missions, not bad.

Frame rate was a little low[1920*1080, 8x AA, 8x Antiscoptric] (around 30 or 40) but didn't affect gamplay.

I enjoyed it, will probably keep playing through the missions, of course I didn't play the first one, so I'm a bit lost on the storyline :P. Seems very starcraft like at this point, but with more units! Graphics are a little blocky, btu thats pretty average for RTS games these days.

We just picked it up today also. It does seem like a more graphics orientated version of Star Craft. I like the fluid movement and how units actually try to get out of the way of other units such as experimentals. I like it so far! This should give me plenty of eye candy for the next few weeks! :D