logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: No longer a member of the Wizards Community.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:01 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I thought I'd allow myself a small rant.

It is 1238 Tuesday October 2 2007.

My official anouncement.

After only 7 months as a member. I am no longer going to contribute to the Wizards of the Coast Forums.
This is not a rash decision made out of anger or frustration. This is just coming form a guy who wants to turn his little hobby back into a little hobby.

The wizards community is way too negative, way too serious, and way to comforming for my tastes. It seems to be run by a small group of alpha males, with every one else falling into some sort of submissive role.
Thats just too weird a vibe for a freaking board game.

When I first donated a map i did it because I was proud of it and I wanted it to share with people I thought might want it

I just made the best map of mine so far and I don't even enjoy it.
Too many people criticize my work, and constantly rate my work against professional artists, and honestly It hurts my feelings. I have NO tRAINING IN ART WHATSOEVER. I am in the Navy and I drive an ambulance.

I've asked for technical help from These well known map makers only to be blown off time and again. One of them went as far as to say I don't work with other people, and that If he was going to be involved He would have to be incharge and free to make whatever changes he wished.

I'm not going to grovel.

Ever since this forum was created I've enjoyed the layed back, supportive, fun, feeling. It may not be as high profile as WOTC but I like the fact that I have my own little place to put my maps, without some snotty kid bumping his custom stats to the top of the list every ten minutes.

So what am I saying???

I love critique and I love tech support, I need tech support!! I don't just don't wish to be associated with Wizards of the Coast community ever again.

I wish to be an exclusive member to these forums for as long as you all will have me.

I also wish to continue to have my maps hosted by the holocron.

I am very sorry that I will not be able to complete my group project, but I believe that Cyberdragon has this project well under control. And I will always be there to help him via email and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:18 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Well, my friend, I think that about sums it up! I had no clue people had the audacity to criticize your work. That just seems gay-tarded (sorry, one of my fav. words!). Yeah, I read those boards, but post less and less there anymore. Dean has made this a home to so many SWM fans, and I'm proud to be wearing my SWMGAMERS shirt right now :)

I'm sorry they are a bunch of jerks, but lucky for us, the best ones from those boards have made a transition over here to bring the best ideas and most fun possible! I heart SWMS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

If you need photoshop tips let me know. i might be able to help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:21 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I've forsaken the Wizards community as well, for many of the same reasons. Good job man! Oh, and if you ever need someone to playtest a map for you, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:16 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

YOU SEE?? THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!!!

COMRADERIE!

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT, I WILL CONTINUE TO STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE AND TO KEEPTHIS COMMUNITY GROWING!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:53 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Jedicartographer wrote:
YOU SEE?? THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!!!

COMRADERIE!

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT, I WILL CONTINUE TO STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE AND TO KEEPTHIS COMMUNITY GROWING!

I'm sorry, as a Moderator on this site, I believe it would be my place to tell you that talking in all caps is against the site policy . . . oh, God, no, please, sir, I didn't mean it <snap, hiss, slice>

You know, the moment was just right, my friend! Ha ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:58 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

While we're being positive, can I chime in that I have always looked forward to seeing your new maps, as well as enjoyed playing some of your maps?

I can tell they take a lot of time, thought, and work to put together. And they are very playable, more so than many of the "professionally produced" maps. Korriban, Geonosis, I'm looking at you... :roll:

You produce fine, attractive, and usable maps. Your most vocal internet detractors produce little more than wasted gigabytes and bad smells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jedi,

"Skills or no skills", your maps are excellent. When I look for a map, I'm far less interested in whether the map has tiny detail touches, and far more interested in it being well balanced, having interesting game dynamics, and internal consistency. Yours have these in spades. Unlike most of the Wizards maps, and unlike many of the player-created maps, yours are extremely balanced, huge friendly, and extremely fun to play on. In fact, since we have started using your maps at our LGS tourneys, they've become favorites BECAUSE they are fair maps.

Please do not stop making them... I promise you I'll keep buying them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:31 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

From a fellow (former) squid: I've been posting less and less on the wotc site lately, too. I mainly am on there to help others take care of their orphans and see about playing people in other states/cities. The rest of the threads, blah. I'm glad you've found a home on this site, and I agree the people here are just better in general. I enjoy your maps, and look forward to your future projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:40 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

The WOTC forums are alright, but this to me seems to be a new starwarsminigames site, in a good way. And by that, I mean that it is smaller, and has more of a friendly atmosphere.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:55 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well I have to say that I’m taken back by the overwhelming kindness.
I appreciate the support, and you’ve already motivated me to do my next map!

Official announcement:

Production of my next standard Map began last night. The map is a map that the game has needed for a long time. That map is The City of Theed.

The map is going to be based on concepts from the battlefront games, but not too much on the floor plan. It’s basically a section of Theed.

NOW FOR THE REAL NEWS.

With DNEMILLER’S permission of course I would like to make this very special map a SWMGamers.com exclusive, either only available to members, or at least exclusive to this site.

With that said, this has NOTHING to do with any problems with Nickname or his website. It’s very important that he knows that. In fact I have to say Nickname is a beacon of light in that WOTC wasteland. I still wish to continue working for his site as well.

I just feel that this community deserves an exclusive map, so that is my plan!

@ Hothie, You’re a NAVET? What did you do? I am a Corpsman, serving at a family clinic, but came back from the war last year serving with Marines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well honestly criticizing my stuff wasn’t a big deal. A lot of it was constructive.

There were a lot people who were just nit picking, and I found myself making changes to make these people happy. And then they started threatening to “not download my mapsâ€￾ or “not spend there moneyâ€￾ on them.

That blew my mind because this isn’t a business for me. I do this because it’s a creative outlet, the fact that people were threatening to not download FREE stuff just blew my mind, and they got offended because I wasn’t concerned whether or not they downloaded free stuff. For some reason I think some people got the impression that they were customers and I was offering some sort of service.
So I found myself in some sort of submissive position bending over backwards to make perfect maps. Not a whole lot of thanks, or pats on the back. Basically the most I could hope for was “coolâ€￾ or “not badâ€￾. But If I did something “below standardsâ€￾, OH BOY! Would I get it.

Then CPreksta came back and everyone was happy and I was completely forgotten about. It just sucks when one person gets so much “inputâ€￾ or critiqueâ€￾ and someone else gets praise right in front of you.

I know it sounds like I’m being a baby, but I guess I just got fed up. I felt like I was busting my hump getting new maps out while there was this huge lull in new maps(official or otherwise), and then I was completely discarded as soon as Cpreksta released the Ewok village.

Bitter Grapes….but that’s the whole point, I shouldn’t feel this way over my hobby. My dad didn’t feel this way playing with electric trains!! My brother doesn’t get like this with Football Cards, why should I?

But please remember, I hold no ill will towards other mapmakers, especially Cpreksta. I would still be using magic markers and poster board if it wasn’t for him. There are, however, about 2 or 3 others over there given a choice I would never associate with in anyway whatsoever.

So I’m happy posting my work here!

But please, please, please if you find errors or any ways to improve the maps I need to hear them!!! Each map gets better, and that has a lot to do with input and technical advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:29 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I don't blame you for leaving wizos, no one ever really flamed me or critisized or anything, but nothing really interesting ever happens over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:29 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I was a Nuke electrician. Served 2 deployments in the Persian Gulf aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln (carrier.)

I look forward to your new maps, and LadyHothie and I will definitely get them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:40 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Jedicartographer wrote:
There were a lot people who were just nit picking, and I found myself making changes to make these people happy. And then they started threatening to “not download my mapsâ€￾ or “not spend there moneyâ€￾ on them.

That blew my mind because this isn’t a business for me. I do this because it’s a creative outlet, the fact that people were threatening to not download FREE stuff just blew my mind, and they got offended because I wasn’t concerned whether or not they downloaded free stuff. For some reason I think some people got the impression that they were customers and I was offering some sort of service.
So I found myself in some sort of submissive position bending over backwards to make perfect maps. Not a whole lot of thanks, or pats on the back. Basically the most I could hope for was “coolâ€￾ or “not badâ€￾. But If I did something “below standardsâ€￾, OH BOY! Would I get it.

I guess I am one of those nit pickers and in retrospective I understand that I had a part in the death of the original Utapau project. I never intended to be mean or to criticize for fun. I really liked the project and I tried to be constructive in my critique. Unfortunately only some were interested in second opinions and some didn't care about comments (or the "team"). I'm not an expert and I wasn't right all the time but I value second opinions (I write articles and stuff) -- I'm thankful for any help that could make my work better. But that's me.

I said something about not buying maps but that was not as a threat. I was just honest. I don't have the money to buy all the maps from CafePress. If I spend $30 on a map then it has to be flawless (so far I've bought four maps). My point was that if I wasn't buying (or printing) the map then perhaps others wouldn't either. Many would still buy it as we all like different maps so you shouldn't have paid that much attention to me. It's not all about selling maps on CafePress and of course we do this for fun but wouldn't it be even better if all loved the maps? Wouldn't that make you feel a little better about some of those 100+ hours spent on the project?

It's sad that the Utapau project ended like this but I honestly think that your NR map turned out much better than any of the planned Utapau maps. And I tried to continue reading your threads and posting comments. Hopyfully it helped at least a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:22 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Lex,

I'm not going to lie, I dont think you were helping the overall climate over at WOTC.

But You were definetly not the big problem over there for me. I had a big problem with the general discussion forums. Basically all the flaming and trolling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:58 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Jedicartographer wrote:
I dont think you were helping the overall climate over at WOTC.

Well, I'm glad I was in good company then. :wink:
I'm happy though that we sorted things out and moved on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

What, random threads devolving in a myname vs Galbraithe war doesn't entertain you? That is about the main reason I explore the custom forum right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

And thats exactly whats wrong with them!

I think very highly of myname. Its a real shame that he carries himself that way.

In fact that was another brick in the wall fo rme the Myname/gailbraithe crisis.

It uses to be that we all kinda helped each other out. now its a competetion to have your thread as the top post.

the ironic thing is most of those people are grown men acting like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:03 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Jedicartographer, your maps are really great :D. Do they really cost $30 from the CafePress???

http://swminisdatabase.proboards58.com/index.cgi