logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Star Trek from a Star Wars perspective(possible spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I'm just having a hard time picturing Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy having a teary-eyed goodbye as they make the final correction to fix everything, and old Spock disappears, for good, a la Back to the Future style. :P

Eh, it'll be an atypical sort of scene that has been done 10-12 times in ST. :P

Come to think of it, there was a really good Deep Space 9 ep that focused on the moral dilemma of changing the timeline. The cast is onboard their little ship the Defiant when they get pulled into a "temporal anomaly" that forces them to land on the planet in a solar system that is cut off from the galaxy (something about the magnetic pull of the sun preventing long-range communication).

When they get off the ship, they are greeted by their descendants. Apparently, their descendants explain, they will manage to leave the planet, but their ship is hit by the wake of the temporal anomaly that cripples the ship completely as it throws it backward in time. The descendants even tell them which of the crew dies, and when - including many who don't survive the crash.

Afterward, the survivors tough it out and build a colony, and now 300 years later here they have built a decent sized civilization.

There is discussion about how now they have seen what will happen and can change it. But after getting to know their descendants, they aren't comfortable with the idea of erasing history, and so everyone on the ship unanimously agrees to proceed as though they don't know.

However, on the planet is a very old Odo, who hides from the crew and makes the descendants tell the Defiant personnel he died. He only reveals himself to Kira, whom he is in love with. Ultimately, his love for Kira and his life without her all these years is more than he can bear, and it means more to him than the descendants. He uploads a message into the Defiant after it leaves along with a computer program that veers them off course of the anomaly. He tells them he is sorry he changed history and for all the people who will never exist now, but he asks forgiveness and said he doesn't want to go through them all dying again. Of course, it's made clear the only one he is really thinking about is Kira.

It was a decent episode for the show, and one of about 10 I can recall off the top of my head.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:31 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

LoboStele wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I can only hope that the next movie will be about fixing the time line, and the moral dilemma of choosing one timeline over another. That is something that has never really been explored in ST.

That would be cool. Not too sure how to do that in a film though. I've seen that sort of stuff in novels though, as it's easier to discuss that sort of moral dilemma type of stuff in that medium I think. Could be interesting though.

I'm just having a hard time picturing Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy having a teary-eyed goodbye as they make the final correction to fix everything, and old Spock disappears, for good, a la Back to the Future style. :P

Don't think thats going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:55 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Leanard Nemoy can still act.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:53 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I am a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan *gasp*..(yes I do in fact own all 7 seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager and 2 seasons of Original) and suffice it to say I've grown up watching and loving both Star Wars and Star Trek. I thought the new movie was awesome and did a good job of filling in some of the gaps left by the series and the previous movies. I wish the bad guy was a little more developed, but overall I rate the movie 9 out of 10. It was way better than most star trek movies before it and it is my second favorite out of all of the star trek movies (the first obviously being the Star Trek 4: Save the Whales :D )

I guess you would have to be a fan to appreciate the movie in its entirety, but I do think some peoples criticism of the show is clouded by their dislike of Star Trek. As for similarities I did find it funny that Kirk was stranded on Hoth and was attacked by a Wampa (big red monster) and ended up in a cave.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, went to see it again last night. The theater near us with the IMAX screen does 'Bargain Tuesdays' where all shows are $6 a ticket, even for the IMAX. It's awesome. Anyways.....Just as good the 2nd time around! :D

I guess I can see the things that Boris was complaining about. On the other hand, I've watched some REALLY bad independent sci-fi or monster flicks lately, as I enjoy the stupid cheesiness of those as well. So in comparison, nothing in Star Trek seems bad to me in terms of story-telling, or plot holes, or any of that stuff. I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.

I think my favorite line from the movie is still "green-blooded hobgoblin!" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

obikenobi1 wrote:
I guess you would have to be a fan to appreciate the movie in its entirety, but I do think some peoples criticism of the show is clouded by their dislike of Star Trek.

Umm, I am a fan, so I disagree with that statement. I grew up on the franchise. Watching TOS in reruns with my dad is one of my earliest memories. He has all the shows on either VHS or DVD, and I have met a few of the actors at various conventions. I even got Walter Koenig's autograph.

I did enjoy most of the movie overall, but I thought a lot of the stuff that happened was foolish and not in the spirit of Star Trek. When someone does something to change the time line, the characters always try to fix it - ALWAYS. Except twice, this being the second time. I just think that time travel stories in Star Trek are stupid because they have allowed anyone to do anything at anytime. Nothing is sacred. At least if there had been some effort at a plausible explanation as to why no one was trying to correct this huge tragedy to the timeline, I could have gone for it. But instead we just got a reaction that came across as apathetic and indifferent because to do otherwise would ruin the writers' goal of "reboot."

As a fan, you should know that Star Trek has never been about plot, but about the characters and how the choices they make affect the outcome of the story. Even in Generations, it was Picard's choice about where to go to stop Soren. He just chose foolishly, and at a spot in time that was inconsistent with what his choice might have been in the television series.

I loved the opening sequence of this movie - probably the best scene ever done in Star Trek - and there were some other nostalgic scenes as I mentioned earlier, but I found the desire for plot at the expense of reason and sensibility and tradition to be ridiculously foolish. It overshadowed everything good about the movie for me. I'm glad you and others here enjoyed it. I did not.

But please, don't make the mistake of saying that it was because I'm not a fan. It's because I AM a fan that I found the larger story decisions to be unforgiving.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
I think my favorite line from the movie is still "green-blooded hobgoblin!" :lol:

Yeah that was a reference to the original show. I think DeForest Kelley called Nimoy's Spock that a few times.

I thought McCoy was done very well. I liked when he is on the shuttle with Kirk and starts ranting about space travel. That was so typical. And when he said his ex-wife already took the planet, I lol'd.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, like I said before, with my somewhat limited experience with TOS, McCoy seemed to be the most accurate out of all the characters in this new one. I've enjoyed Karl Urban in several of the other projects he's done, so it didn't surprise me that he pulled this one off so well. I laughed at his scenes more than anything else in the film. Especially got a real kick out of when Kirk says he might throw up on McCoy, and at that point, McCoy is acting like he doesn't even realize their flying in space any more. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

obikenobi1 wrote:
I am a Trekkie and a Star Wars fan *gasp*..(yes I do in fact own all 7 seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager and 2 seasons of Original) and suffice it to say I've grown up watching and loving both Star Wars and Star Trek. I thought the new movie was awesome and did a good job of filling in some of the gaps left by the series and the previous movies. I wish the bad guy was a little more developed, but overall I rate the movie 9 out of 10. It was way better than most star trek movies before it and it is my second favorite out of all of the star trek movies (the first obviously being the Star Trek 4: Save the Whales :D )

I guess you would have to be a fan to appreciate the movie in its entirety, but I do think some peoples criticism of the show is clouded by their dislike of Star Trek. As for similarities I did find it funny that Kirk was stranded on Hoth and was attacked by a Wampa (big red monster) and ended up in a cave.

DID YOU JUST say that this movie is better than star trek II, the warth of Khan?

Is their anything better than star wars fans argueing about a star trek movie?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

empirejeff wrote:
DID YOU JUST say that this movie is better than star trek II, the warth of Khan?

Well, everyone is allowed to have their own favorites. :P Just like your favorite SW movie might be ESB, while mine is ROTS or AOTC.

Quote:
Is their anything better than star wars fans argueing about a star trek movie?

The irony was not lost on my either, haha. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:06 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Amazing movie, I can't think of 1 thing wrong. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish. Also, finding out that my mom was a HUGE "Trekky"...

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

:shock:

The goofiest line would be the last line. This sapossed to be regular spock talking, he would never say that. Then again he is about 215 years old, so mabe he has changed.

:geek:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I loved it when McCoy was injecting Kirk with all manner of medicines. A swollen, numb tongued Kirk telling McCoy to stop injecting him was hillarious.

Also, I really loved Scotty. "I'll beam you into the cargo bay. There should be no one in sight."

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:13 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

obikenobi1 wrote:
I loved it when McCoy was injecting Kirk with all manner of medicines. A swollen, numb tongued Kirk telling McCoy to stop injecting him was hillarious.

Also, I really loved Scotty. "I'll beam you into the cargo bay. There should be no one in sight."

1. That was pretty good.

2. Then everyone can see them.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I saw this movie yesterday, and I have to say it was everything a summer movie should be. It kept me enthralled from start to finish. I loved it and can't wait to see it again, as far as I'm concerned it was just about as good as a movie gets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:26 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Going to start off by saying I enjoyed the movie and accept it for what it is, I think it has its place, was very entertaining, and a great movie.

Quote:
Oh, and then there's the love triangle between Luke, Han, and Uhura. (Will Uhura turn out to be Spock's sister?)

lmao, thats gold.

Darth Havok wrote:
I saw this movie yesterday, and I have to say it was everything a summer movie should be. It kept me enthralled from start to finish. I loved it and can't wait to see it again, as far as I'm concerned it was just about as good as a movie gets.

That's what most have a problem with. If this was just a stand alone movie, lets say not ST at all for sake of argument, I doubt anyone would say much in the ways of negative comments.

But being what it is, I understand fans being upset. At the same time I think some people just need to be more accepting. This movie opens up different possibilities which can be good or bad. It creates a reset ST world, where things can be reinvented and rehashed. Like I said good and bad. Just imagine them to try redoing Kahn. But that's also what I like most walking away from this film. That they might retell some of the better portion of old episodes.

And on to the bits about character inconsistency...

That happens in the series just as much, and even then lets relate it to SW. Between the prequels and OT there is a lot of inconsistencies between characters, but its all old arguments. I have mentioned it for arguments sake, but plan to leave that alone now lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Took my son to see this movie. I loved it even more the second time! Watching it again I still love the time travel aspect of it. I mean wow, they wiped out the entire Trekkie universe before Kirk was even born. That is AWESOME! My theater also played the trailers for GI JOE and Transformers, so those were cool to see on the big screen. I didn't see those when Trek came out.

Go see this movie again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:56 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

This about says it all

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:20 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Their should be a ds9 movie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:06 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Also a move or tv show on the romulan wars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next