logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: PC: Empire Total War
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

While this isn't a complete review, just thought I'd send it out there.

I'd really enjoyed Rome: TW and was looking forward to playing a new R-T/T-B(real-time/turn-based) Strategy game.

I can safely advise, that at this point I wouldn't NOT buy the game. It has proven to be incredibly buggy, with multiple CTD for no reason. There already a patched released, but it hard to tell if it has fixed anything. I advise once more, wait. I'm sure they will patch it again soon, and most of the problem will go away.

That said overall the game (when not crashing or freezing) is fantastic! Rich and immersive graphics really help you to get involved in the game and enjoy leading your faction of choice to victory. The single player campaign can either be a the pre-created 'Road to Independence" where you help form the birth of the American Nation from first settlement to the war of Independence, or the Grand Campaign.

The Grand Campaign allows you to take one of 12 major factions (though there are 3rd part patches if you desire to play one of the minor factions, like Portugal or The Italian States) and rise to be the dominant country at the time.

Grand Campaigns can be Short (~take 15 territories and hold X, Y, Z specifics until year W), Long (~take 30 territories and hold X, Y, Z specifics until year W), Prestige (~take 15 territories and hold X, Y, Z specifics until year W and be the most prestigious) and World Domination ( Take 40 territories and hold them until 1799).

There are a few exciting differences between R:TW and E:TW on the Campaign Map. Primarily the world has grown and it split into 3 theaters and 4 trade theaters. Europe consists of from Iceland to about the first 1/3 of modern Russia as well as the African countries that border the Meditterraen. India is connected through the Middle East (turkey/Persia/Afghanistan) as well as across the ocean. Finally the Americas (top of SA, and goes to about the middle of America and Canada). Trade Theaters let you send trade ships to gather valuable trade slots off the coasts of Brazil, South Africa, Madagascar and the Indonesian Islands.

For the first time ever there is also player-controlled naval battles. From the 12-gun Indianmen (trade vessels) to the 112-gun First Rate Ship-of-the-Line, you now can send your tallships into exciting and deadly combat. At the highest video settings, all I can say is wow! The animation is incredible. You can watch your sailors man, reload and fire the cannons, see them climb the rigging shoot down at nearby enemies with musket fire. If you hit the gunpowder store, a ship can explode into spectacular fireworks. You can set the ammunition type (round, ball and chain or grape shot) and attempt to board and capture the enemy ships. Wind and weather conditions will affect the outcome of the battles as well. I heard that one of the programmers spend over a year designing the water alone, and I'd say its the best CG water I've seen in a game yet.

Ranged Land Combat adds a new dynamic for me. Calvary charges straight at the enemy isn't the best idea anymore (but its fun to watch the bodies go flying.. literally!) A strong mix of Artillery, Line Infantry and Calvary with a competent general will certainly win the day! Land combat remains simlar to R:TW but with a few upgrades. For example, if you're fighting near a town, it is possible for your infantry to garrison buildings and fire out of them, while remaining safe. Fences and wall can provide valuable cover for your infantry to huddle behind and help to slow enemy advances (but yours as well).

There seems to be some issues with the AI's pathfinding abilities that some times make it do strange things, like marching right up to within inches of your infantry and then lining up to shoot...

The Campaign map also has some changes to it. It used to be that you upgraded your territory by building within the city, but now capital cities in each territory will spawn towns, were you can build economical, religious, educational or entertainment buildings.

I've something to say about the AI's campaign map skills... they stink! Allies will do nothing to help you if you're declaring war or being attacked, and overall the AI is very very passive. There is so inter-AI warfare, but overall I've seen the AI generate troops, enough for two or three full armies, and then just sit there with them. Until they are attacked.. then they will come after you. Somewhat frustrating. Also at this point the AI has no idea how to transport troops over the water. Just never seen it happen.

Empire:Total war also has a new feature: Multi-player Campaign. I've yet to try it, but it sounds very interesting, something I could see myself doing over a weekend or a week with a few friends.

Overall E:TW has the capabilities to be the game of the year if they will only continue to work out the bugs and work on the AI. I'm still playing it, even with the constant CTDs, and as soon as they patch this sucker I'll recommend it. When it works, its a blast and very consuming.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY