logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

To be honest, I've seen WAY WAY WAY worse PG-13 movies. Seriously, and this is the logic I use with my mom sometimes, who is really touchy about anything outside of a PG movie. Most times, I would rather go see an R rated movie rather than a PG-13. At least with R, I know exactly what I'll be getting. I know to expect that kind of stuff. But with PG-13, you never know anymore. It might be something like Terminator: Salvation, which, with the exception of some swearing and violence/gore, was actually a pretty mild PG-13 IMO. TF2 actually had more swearing in it that Terminator, I think, lol.

And on that point, I'll agree with obi1. TF2 is marketed as a kid's movie. Actually, it's some of the same arguments I made against Watchmen when it came out. I'm not a prude, and I enjoy a wide range of movies (for instance, I thought Zack & Miri was hilarious), but Watchmen, similar to TF2, had way too much in it that just wasn't necessary for the film. And in both instances, they are marketed to audiences that are way younger than they should be. Watchmen was rated R, but as a comic book film, you can bet every dollar in your bank account that the studio execs were shooting for the younger teenage boys to get them to convince their parents/older siblings/etc. to take them to see it. So, an R rated film, which is intended for audiences 17 and older, but it's marketed to 13-16 year olds. And TF2, between the toys and other stuff, is targeted at boys aged 8-12. But it was rated PG-13...so, recommended for 13 and older, yet marketed to younger category. Terminator is very different. Everybody is familiar with the Terminator series, and that it's aimed at violence, languague, and an older crowd. So people were shocked that this latest one was only PG-13, and then I was shocked further that it was fairly tame for a PG-13.

TF2 is vastly different. The first Transformers was also rated PG-13, and had MUCH less 'questionable' content in it, so it should've been expected for TF2 to be similar. Instead, it had a ton more stuff like that in it, most of which added absolutely nothing to the film. The two dogs? Once was bad enough. But it was quick, a funny little thing, and introduced the fact that the family had adopted a 2nd dog, and that the mom was adding bling to it just as badly as she'd done with Mojo, which was a running gag from the first film. OK, that's fine. But to show them AGAIN outside a few minutes later? Absolutely unnecessary. And while I thought the Twin autobots were fairly funny, and the one line where the call Leo a pussy was absolutely beautiful scripting/timing, otherwise, their language was pretty out there, and just to further give them the "gansta" feel. So yeah, unnecessary. They would've had that feel without the language as well.

It's not so much about people being oversensitive, or not being "adult" enough to just look the other way. It's about thinking about ALL the people who might be interested to see this film. As I said before, the first one was pretty clean overall, with the only that pops into my mind being the part where Sam yells "$#!T, $#!T, $#!T" as Barricade is chasing him the first time. Otherwise, there's very little other foul language in the film, and very little sexual stuff at all. Not so with TF2

Here's a good example of why this is important to some people. I've got a friend at work, who hangs out with his nephew a lot, and his nephew loved the first TF movie. This kid is like 6 or 7 maybe. My buddy at work is your average guy, likes RPGs, used to play SWMs (can't seem to get him interested again), likes a whole range of stuff, etc. Fairly typical guy. Doesn't come from a heavy religious background or anything like that, neither does the rest of his family. His nephew has been talking for weeks about seeing TF2, but after my friend saw it, he said that he felt he wouldn't be able to take his nephew to see it, because of all that extra content. Young kids are impressionable, and it's nice to not cram that kind of stuff down their throats through popular movies that they are interested in, ESPECIALLY when it has nothing to do with the movie.

Sorry this is a tad long. I just get fed up with people taking these sorts of arguments to the extreme of accusing the other party of saying stuff like "if somebody is holding hands it should be rated R" (which, Zack, is more or less what you were saying). That's not the point. The point is, sure that extra stuff is funny, but it belongs in a Seth Rogen or Adam Sandler movie, not in a movie about giant robots. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:40 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

No I am saying I don't feel like having a good film ruined because people want to shelter their kids from curse words(which they hear from their parents, friends, classmates, TV, video games), violence(again, see on TV and not just shows, even the news talking about how some guy was stabbed to death or shot. Video games, call of duty and halo for example.) Sexual content(turn on almost any station these days and there is some kind of show or commercial with seductive content on.) A kid who is 6-7 CLEARLY shouldn't see this movie, or any other movie with a lot of violence. Any person who goes into a movie with Guns, Giant Robots trying to kill one another, and an actor as attractive as Megan Fox, thinking the movie will be subtle, are complete idiots.
In the trailers it shows Megan on a motorcycle with her a** hanging out. Any guy here was thinking at that moment "oh daaaaamn...", if you try to say you didn't you are lying. In the trailer there were soldiers shooting their weapons with intent to kill the evil invaders.
The first one had a fair amount of kissing and violence.
My point is, this movie would be okay for someone 13+(pleeease, a girl near having intercourse with sam? I saw worse in 7th grade sex-ed.)
So for anyone below that age limit being taken, their parent is either aware that it has violence and are confident their child will see it only as make believe, or the parent is incredibly stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
No I am saying I don't feel like having a good film ruined because people want to shelter their kids from curse words(which they hear from their parents, friends, classmates, TV, video games), violence(again, see on TV and not just shows, even the news talking about how some guy was stabbed to death or shot. Video games, call of duty and halo for example.) Sexual content(turn on almost any station these days and there is some kind of show or commercial with seductive content on.) A kid who is 6-7 CLEARLY shouldn't see this movie, or any other movie with a lot of violence. Any person who goes into a movie with Guns, Giant Robots trying to kill one another, and an actor as attractive as Megan Fox, thinking the movie will be subtle, are complete idiots.

Tell me how the dog humping adds to the movie? Tell me how the curse words add to the movie? Tell me how the close up shots of Alice and Mikaela's butts add to the movie? Do they add to the plot-line of giant robots trying to destroy the world?

No, they don't. None of that stuff adds to the movie. If you took out all that stuff, used less offensive words like "crap" or some such, and used different camera angles so you weren't looking right up people's skirts, it wouldn't change your enjoyment of the movie at all. You'd still get all the big explosions, the fights, etc. The rest of that stuff does NOT add to the movie at all.

It is simply there to get a rise out of people, and the film would be perfectly fine without any of that stuff.

Quote:
In the trailers it shows Megan on a motorcycle with her a** hanging out. Any guy here was thinking at that moment "oh daaaaamn...", if you try to say you didn't you are lying. In the trailer there were soldiers shooting their weapons with intent to kill the evil invaders.
The first one had a fair amount of kissing and violence.
My point is, this movie would be okay for someone 13+(pleeease, a girl near having intercourse with sam? I saw worse in 7th grade sex-ed.)
So for anyone below that age limit being taken, their parent is either aware that it has violence and are confident their child will see it only as make believe, or the parent is incredibly stupid.

But a 8 year old boy may not think that (about Megan Fox), and probably shouldn't be thinking that. But that same 8 year old boy can easily identify the fantasy nature of the robot fights, and even without seeing something like Transformers, he's going to have his action figure toys at home fighting and wrestling with each other.

So yes, it is on the parents to decide what is appropriate for their kids and what isn't. I'm not debating that. What several of us are saying though, is that, violence aside, there was absolutely no reason for that movie to be rated PG-13. The movie is rated PG-13 "for intense sequences of sci-fi action violence, language, some crude and sexual material, and brief drug use". If you took out the language, most of the sexual stuff (in particular the dog/robot humping, and Alice's 'attack' on Sam), and the retarded brownie scenes....would it really have affected the movie that much? Think about it.

No, it wouldn't. And that's the complaint that most people labeled 'prudes' (can't think of a better word) make about Hollywood's choices in movies lately. They throw all that extra crap in there because they think people want that stuff. Well, sure, there are people out there that enjoy it. But what they fail to realize is that MORE people will enjoy it if they leave that extra crap out of there.

This movie is NOT too intense for a 7-8 year old if you take out some of that other crap. As I said, when we were 7-8 years old, we all had giant battles between our transformers, GI-Joes, Star Wars figures, Legos, you name it. The robot-on-robot violence is not really a big deal for a boy that age, and any human violence/gore in this movie is almost non-existent. Take out that other stuff, and this is a great movie for someone of just about any age.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:58 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

The dogs humping was humorous. The brownie part with the mother running around was hysterical. Sorry. I like to get my money worth. I laughed so hard at some parts, yeah they could have been removed and not taken away from the plot, but I enjoyed the movie more because I was laughing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

You have to know for a fact I fully agree with everything Aaron said. Unnecessary stuff was added to the movie, in my opinion, for teenage shock factor. You thought it was funny, Zack. You're a teenager. As a parent, I found it absolutely ridiculous to have anything like that in there at all! Appauling, in fact, to the point that I am glad my daughter did not come with me! I would not recommend that movie, as it is, to any parent! If the DVD has an edited version, which we all know won't happen, then that would be the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
The dogs humping was humorous. The brownie part with the mother running around was hysterical. Sorry. I like to get my money worth. I laughed so hard at some parts, yeah they could have been removed and not taken away from the plot, but I enjoyed the movie more because I was laughing.

LOL, point proven, as Ray said. And like I said before, I enjoyed the movie, and I thought the FIRST shot of the dogs was funny (second was unnecessary), and honestly, I thought Wheelie's 'moment' with Mikaela was hilarious as well. But again, we are adults, and we see the humor in that without it affecting our ideas of how we are actually supposed to act in the real world. Young kids, even those in the 13-14 range, see that kind of stuff and think that because everybody laughs at it, that it's perfectly acceptable. When in reality, we might laugh, but there's some part of us that knows it's crude and generally frowned upon.

And to go back to the marketing thing, they OBVIOUSLY market this stuff to audiences younger than 13, and heck, I saw people bringing what looked like 10 year olds in to Watchmen, so the advertising obviously works on the parents as well. Not the studios fault there, necessarily, but they still did advertise it in such a way to make parents think it would be OK for their younger ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:13 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Thanks guys for sticking up for us parents. I went to the movie first to see if my kid would like it, and in retrospect, it's wasn't what I expected. I'm an adult. Ok, i'm glad that point has been made, because I think DarkLordVergal refered to me as a kid. I'm just a concerned parent! I don't want to have to explain to my young kid what "pussy" means when he ask's. Sheesh! Call me old fashioned or whatever, but I want whats best for my son. As lobosteele was saying, this movie was marketed towards younger kids. I mean what kids aren't going to get new transformer action figures!

Honestly I was expecting this movie to be a lot like the first movie. I love the first movie! It wasn't excesively vulgar and lewd as TF2. At least in the first movie it wasn't blantant. I'm an adult, so I don't mind the sexual jokes that were made in the first film, because mostly only adults know what was infered in some of those lines. "Ride you home". Yeah it was was hilarious! But at the same time younger kids wouldn't be disturbed by it. They would think it was just a mix up of words. But in TF2, the sexual jokes were excessive and very unnecessary to the movie. A few jokes is fine. The first Transformers pulled it off very well! That was a great movie, and I watch it a lot! TF2? Not as good. At least for parents taking thier kids to go see it. By all means DarkLordVergal, go see the movie as many times as you want. It was funny in some parts, but please look at the big picture next time you start calling someone a 5 year old because he didn't like the content of a movie. It's probably a great movie for you age group, but for people who have been around long enough, it's becoming more apparent that Hollywood is just making way to many mistakes in recent movies. Maybe the rating system needs new standards. It really surprises me what a PG-13 movie can have in it these days when back in the 80's a movie would be rated R for basically just a few swear words (Stand by Me for example). I'm glad that TF2 didn't lay the F bomb, but disappointed that they said just about every other swear word possible. Again I'm an adult and I'm not so offended by bad language, since I hear it all the time at work. I personally don't find it nessesary for myself to swear. I usually have something better to say. Thanks again guys for sticking up for me! And sorry for the lecture. I've been away for a while from the posts and was suprised to see how big a fire my earlier comment had kindled. At least this forum allows for a mature discussion. :D

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
No I am saying I don't feel like having a good film ruined because people want to shelter their kids from curse words

I don't think you get the argument being made her DLV. But the issue here is not removing these parts to ruin your experience. The issue here is that the movie company decided to make this a happy meal movie. They decided they wanted rows of toys in Target and Walmart. As soon as you do that then you should be able to deliver a movie that the kid can go see. They sure didn't have any issue taking $20+ from mom or dad at the store and most of these idiot parents think that if they can buy a toy then I can take them to see the movie. Right or wrong that is the way of the world. It isn't just this movie either-

This is probably one of the sickest things I have seen. :P

So, that pretty much sums up my problem with the movie. This movie is so close to being kid friendly. Take out the cursing, dog humping, robot humping and you still have the same movie. Sure you miss out on a couple of laughs, but look all that you gain. The only other conclusion you can make is that Michael Bay thinks saying biatch and pussy every 10 seconds in front of his kids is perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:46 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I am quite sure if I was a parent and talking about this my point would go more like
"Great movie, but not something I'm talking my kid to."
I enjoy everyone of those Vulgar jokes, and am glad they were there because now that movie can really have even more entertainment value. When your kid is older, I am sure he'll feel the same. For now, he won't be watching the movie, he will live.

Edite for content Boba52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:52 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

obikenobi1 wrote:
Not a movie I would take my kid's to!...... Action was great! ......Story was great! .....Robots are awesome!.....

I think I had pretty much said that in my original commnet. I'm glad older kids like you enjoyed the movie. And I'm sure Michael Bay enjoy's you support because he's made his millions of dollars of a not so greatly made movie. But honestly, next time he makes a transformers movie, I hope he doesn't market it to the kids if its going to be as vulgar as TF2.

Edited for Content Boba52

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have had to remove posts and edit them in this thread. Cmon guys, please don't make me do this again, cause I hate it and it sucks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:40 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Guys seriously,

This is a discussion about a movie. There is absolutely no reason to insult somebody for their opinion. Get a life seriously.

Here are some facts.

1. The movie is not going to win the academy award for best picture or for any acting category.

2. The added crude humor for teens..... yeah Zack of course you loved it they targeted right at you.

3. They added some over the top profanity. While you Zack thought it was just fine. I am a parent and I know there is not a huge need for it. They could have said the same things and been just as funny using other words.

So before anyone rips another poster for their thoughts about a movie I will lock this thread and start issuing warnings or whatever is necessary to get people to behave like adults.

I am sorry if you disagree with that call but I really dont care. I am really tired of the forums being a way to call names. I have been called a whiner, clueless and an ass this week because I wrote the floor rules. So if you cannot make an adult argument for your side with out calling names then just shut up!!!!!!!

There is absolutely no reason for this kind of stuff

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, whether you liked the movie or not THIS is funny (probably more funny if you didn't like it). The following contains major spoilers about the movie and swearing, so if you don't want either...then don't click.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bon ... php?page=1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I am finally going to get around to giving you all my 2 cents on ROTF.

I won't exaggerate; I haven't been this disappointed in a sequel since Batman and Robin. What infuriates me about this movie was that the First one was a great summer flick, with a few pretty huge issues:

1. Sloppy incoherent action
2. over usage of the human characters, and under usage of the transformers.

So what do they do? They make the action even sloppier, and put the transformers in it even less! Sideswipe, maybe had 45 seconds of screen time, the bikes had even less time, Ratchet virtually wasn't in it. But what infuriates me the most is Jolt. Yeah, he was the blurry robot you kind of see in one scene that was obviously put in the movie so that GM could showcase the volt. But we see plenty of Mudflap and skids, for those who think that there needed to be 2 Jar jar Binks in Episode 1.

Optimus prime bothered me, because for a robot that is apparently grieving over the loss of life on Cyber Ron apparently has no qualms about murdering fugitive decepticons living as steam shovels in construction sites. I'm sorry but Prime would never perform a Coup De Grace on a wounded transformer like he did at the beginning of the movie. and furthermore it really bothered me that Jetfire gives Prime his parts, only for Prime to callously discard them to the side after he used them, without saying as much as a thank you.

The biggest sin of this movie is that it tries to cater to too many demographic groups, but fails to please any of them. It seems to be a kid’s movie sometimes, but then all of a sudden you get robot humping, upskirt shots of girls, and giant testicles. It seems to be a movie for teenage boys sometimes, but with characters like Wheelie, mudflap and skids, it seems again to try to aim at younger kids. hmmm......The only demographic it doesn't seem to cater to are the one group it should, 30 somethings that grew up on Transformers and made it the phenomenon that it was.

Even the mythology was disappointing, something the writers seemed to really try to sell over the months before its release. Who cares about some minor villain from the comics series? Is this really the only way they could up the odds? And what come up with virtual unknown characters like skids, mudflap and jolt? What about Wheel jack, Prowl, Hound, and Cliffjumper? And honestly if they we're going to have "twins" in the movie why not the REAL twins Sideswipe and Sunstreaker?

I could go on and on and on about the flaws in this movie, because there was so much wrong with it. Plot inconsistencies, and sloppy editing, apparently there are over 50 inconsistencies.

The move did have a few cool points, and it did go into a little bit more about the decepticons, which I appreciated. I thought that the relationship between Star Scream and Megatron was cool. I like how they did Soundwave, and I love how the bigger Decepticons tore the small one apart for scraps. I especially like that last part because it reminds me of the cartoon, how Megatron would always threaten to use his minions for scrap metal.

All in All, it was an awful movie. I'll be hard pressed to find a reason to ever watch it again. and even more I don't know if I'll even be waiting for Transformers 3, I hope the producers take all the bad hype to heart and get rid of Michael Bay, and the writers if they want the 3rd movie to be a success

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I am finally going to get around to giving you all my 2 cents on ROTF.

I won't exaggerate; I haven't been this disappointed in a sequel since Batman and Robin. What infuriates me about this movie was that the First one was a great summer flick, with a few pretty huge issues:

1. Sloppy incoherent action
2. over usage of the human characters, and under usage of the transformers.

So what do they do? They make the action even sloppier, and put the transformers in it even less! Sideswipe, maybe had 45 seconds of screen time, the bikes had even less time, Ratchet virtually wasn't in it. But what infuriates me the most is Jolt. Yeah, he was the blurry robot you kind of see in one scene that was obviously put in the movie so that GM could showcase the volt. But we see plenty of Mudflap and skids, for those who think that there needed to be 2 Jar jar Binks in Episode 1.

Optimus prime bothered me, because for a robot that is apparently grieving over the loss of life on Cyber Ron apparently has no qualms about murdering fugitive decepticons living as steam shovels in construction sites. I'm sorry but Prime would never perform a Coup De Grace on a wounded transformer like he did at the beginning of the movie. and furthermore it really bothered me that Jetfire gives Prime his parts, only for Prime to callously discard them to the side after he used them, without saying as much as a thank you.

The biggest sin of this movie is that it tries to cater to too many demographic groups, but fails to please any of them. It seems to be a kid’s movie sometimes, but then all of a sudden you get robot humping, upskirt shots of girls, and giant testicles. It seems to be a movie for teenage boys sometimes, but with characters like Wheelie, mudflap and skids, it seems again to try to aim at younger kids. hmmm......The only demographic it doesn't seem to cater to are the one group it should, 30 somethings that grew up on Transformers and made it the phenomenon that it was.

Even the mythology was disappointing, something the writers seemed to really try to sell over the months before its release. Who cares about some minor villain from the comics series? Is this really the only way they could up the odds? And what come up with virtual unknown characters like skids, mudflap and jolt? What about Wheel jack, Prowl, Hound, and Cliffjumper? And honestly if they we're going to have "twins" in the movie why not the REAL twins Sideswipe and Sunstreaker?

I could go on and on and on about the flaws in this movie, because there was so much wrong with it. Plot inconsistencies, and sloppy editing, apparently there are over 50 inconsistencies.

The move did have a few cool points, and it did go into a little bit more about the decepticons, which I appreciated. I thought that the relationship between Star Scream and Megatron was cool. I like how they did Soundwave, and I love how the bigger Decepticons tore the small one apart for scraps. I especially like that last part because it reminds me of the cartoon, how Megatron would always threaten to use his minions for scrap metal.

All in All, it was an awful movie. I'll be hard pressed to find a reason to ever watch it again. and even more I don't know if I'll even be waiting for Transformers 3, I hope the producers take all the bad hype to heart and get rid of Michael Bay, and the writers if they want the 3rd movie to be a success

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.