logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: next in line of a great read
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I do remember enjoying Darksaber for the most part, but it's been a LONG time since I read it. Like, I probably read it right around the time it first came out, and I haven't touched it since. I LOVED 'Children of the Jedi' (have re-read it 4 or 5 times) but the loose ends from that one were just so poorly tied up in Darksaber and Planet of Twilight. Honestly, they should've just stopped that series with 'Children' and 'Darksaber' and left PoT out altogether. I guess I should re-read them at some point, see if in light of everything else over the years, perhaps they'll make more sense.

Darth Ruthven wrote:
I'll still read it because I have an OCD with needing to know everything about star wars, but that doesn't mean I have to like her writing style or her personal politics that come through in the books.

Eh...every author does that though. Probably just that Traviss in particular rubs you the wrong way whereas other authors rub you the right way. Doesn't mean she deserves to be drug through the mud every time the LOTF or RC book series is brought up. That's my only point. I really don't care for some of the other SW authors out there that other people adore, but I don't go around using every post about their book series as a chance to remind everyone how much I hate it. That's all I was trying to point out with my original 'caution' regarding bashing authors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LoboStele wrote:

Eh...every author does that though. Probably just that Traviss in particular rubs you the wrong way whereas other authors rub you the right way. Doesn't mean she deserves to be drug through the mud every time the LOTF or RC book series is brought up. That's my only point. I really don't care for some of the other SW authors out there that other people adore, but I don't go around using every post about their book series as a chance to remind everyone how much I hate it. That's all I was trying to point out with my original 'caution' regarding bashing authors.

I would guess that most star wars authors politics would rub me the wrong way, hers just seems to be too transparent in her writing. Most authors, not just star wars, seem to be able to mask their personal politics in their writing. when I read Traviss, she comes of as if she doesn't want to or can't.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

After just reading Bloodlines, I was tempted to pick up the Republic Commandos books. After Sacrifice, it was fairly obvious what she would've rather been writing, as the Fett parts came out a lot better than the other parts. Which sort of brings up why she is writing Legacy. I am hoping Revelation is better than Sacrifice, but I won't deny it, I am glad Traviss didn't write the Allana reveal. Fury had a lot of great emotional scenes. Hell, Alliston even had a touching Alema death, and that is one person I've been hoping to die ever since she came back into the series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hey guys...might want to stray away from openly discussing spoilers, lol, especially since this thread was started by someone asking what books to read next. :P