logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Anyone else getting into Dice Masters?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:34 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

This game has effectively replaced Heroclix for me. much cheaper to buy, just as fun and less confusing and time consuming. Sets aren't coming out as fast as Heroclix also, which is good imo, since it gives me a chance to play all the different characters before the next set comes. I talked to my LGS and we are now going to be running tournaments for this since all the heroclix players have pretty much switched over to Dice Masters. I still will play heroclix, cause it is still fun, but as far as buying into a game, Dice Masters has replaced it completely. Anyone else playing Dice Masters?

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: Anyone else getting into Dice Masters?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Yup, Gavin and I picked it up this summer. We have mostly complete sets of all Marvel and DC stuff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Thanks to you guys, I've just watched the Tom Vasel Dice Tower review. It's intriguing to me. It seems different than most other games, so I very well might pick it up. I think my kids would love it.

What would be your suggestions for where to buy it? Ebay? Coolstuff? How many base sets should I buy? I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys may have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:57 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

When we got into it there were only the two X-Men Sets, plus Yugi-oh and DnD. We only focused on the comic stuff, so it was easy to catch up, though we still had to scramble to gather up AvX stuff.

We just bought packs at first but it is way cheaper to buy them by the box. 60$ for 90 vs 90$ individually at pretty much any of the online stores. I do like that I have a slightly healthier set mix from when I had both, but a single box is usually sufficient. You'll have all commons and uncommons and most rares with one -two mythic. You only need one card and have plenty of dice, so that's a big plus.

If you want to play competitively then you need cards from each set, but I did play some draft at Gencon and won, or close to it, all my tournaments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:26 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Awesome, thanks. I'm drooling.

I'll go in with Marvel; my kids love Marvel (Guardians of the Galaxy is our favorite family movie). We have the Marvel: Legendary card game and they love all of those characters. DC doesn't really interest me much. DnD would be cool, but my kids don't know any of the DnD mythos...and Poke-what? Yep, Marvel it is for me.

[I would LOVE to see a Street Fighter release. So much potential there.]

Therefore, since I'm going Marvel, I have 2 related questions:
1. Would you recommend 1 of the gravity boxes per set? (ie, 3 Marvel gravity boxes)
2. Or would you recommend picking one set and getting 2 gravity boxes for it?

I'm not so much of a completionist (yet!), but I'm mainly just interested in getting a lot of options to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

1 box per will suffice.

You'll get close to 4 dice of every character. Every common and uncommon.

Most rares, but I find the C/UC have better effects.

1 Mythic, these tend to have the best effects.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:25 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Okay, thanks.

I've done some looking and it's hard to find the first set (X-Men vs Avengers). But I'll go after the other 2 Marvel boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Another question: Are the starter sets worth getting if you're going to get a big gravity-box anyway? Do the starters have game components that are required, that the gravity boxes don't have?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

thereisnotry wrote:
Another question: Are the starter sets worth getting if you're going to get a big gravity-box anyway? Do the starters have game components that are required, that the gravity boxes don't have?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:09 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

thereisnotry wrote:
Okay, thanks.

I've done some looking and it's hard to find the first set (X-Men vs Avengers). But I'll go after the other 2 Marvel boxes.

Plus this set only had 60 in a box. I was able to snag a gravity feed right before GenCon, but I paid about 1.40 a pack for it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I managed to get an X-Men vs Avengers starter, along with an Ultron and Uncanny starter on Amazon. $42.00 so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Just getting around to seeing your posts thereisnotry, so sorry for the delayed response about starters:

The starters are worth getting because the cards are all unique to that set (similar to how heroclix did it with their fast forces packs) and the actions are only available in the starters, so I buy each one. Also, you will get enough dice in the set that you'll most likely have a full 4-dice set for the characters that you get in the base set (usually they only put 1 card in the base set for characters that are represented in the starter) so if you don't for some reason get many of the dice in the base set, your good to go for that character if you buy the starter.

Hope you and your family have fun playing Dicemasters!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Dennis told me he was playing a bit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:10 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So if I want to play competitively (or even semi-competitively) I guess it would be necessary to get the starters (and more) even for the systems that I'm not interested in. I'm not interested in Yugioh or DC Comics, and only marginally interested in the D&D end of things. But it seems like it would be better to get them now than have them be out of print at some point in the future if I want them later.

But that's the thing: I don't see myself going all-in with this the way I did with SWM. It's a cool game and it'll be a lot of fun to play with my kids...but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money that would be needed in order to be a completionist (or even a semi-completionist). We're talking about a starter and a gravity feed box for every release...at a minimum. That gets to be $100 +/- per expansion. I can see myself spending that for the X-Men themed stuff (and also the Street Fighter stuff when that happens)...but I don't think it would be worth it beyond that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

its not really all that nessesary to have all the starters for competitive play. If you want to play in tournaments, the action card Distraction is really powerful and most people play that one (not sure what set its from). The new War of the Light Starter has some good action cards in it also. I'd check out what top tier players use in tournaments and maybe you can just buy those cards separate. In tournament format you only get to bring 2 to the table and your opponent brings 2 so that there are 4 total to buy dice from, so most likely your opponent will have actions cards you'd want to have anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Okay, so I've bought a starter and gravity feed for Avengers vs X-Men, Uncanny X-Men and Age of Ultron. I was able to find 2 gravity feeds (120 packs total) for Avengers vs X-Men: $95 each on Ebay last week. Good deal for a hard-to-get set, but I unfortunately didn't pull any URs in either set. Nor did I get "Formerly Weapon Ten," so I figure that I'll just have to find one of those on Ebay since Wolverine is my favorite character.

My kids and i have been playing almost non-stop since we got it. Awesome game! We had a family-wide tournament to start it all off, with all 6 of us participating (even my wife, who actually likes the game!). Good times had by all.

I've just ordered (again via Ebay) the few dice that I was missing after all of those boosters, and I've found a way to print copies of the URs that I didn't pull in the gravity feeds (it's not like "official rules" matter when playing at home). So we're good to go. I'm glad I put the extra money into getting the AvX stuff, since those are some of our favorite characters. But I'm not sure I want to keep buying more stuff (ie, Amazing Spider Man), since it seems like it'll go on forever.

Anyway, my family thanks you guys for getting me into this game! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:27 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

glad to see you and your family are having fun playing the game Trevor! I just picked up the new set today (got the collectors edition and the 90pack box of amazing spiderman) so I am very curious to see what is in it. The sets thus far have mostly been pretty good, the only one that was kinda underwhelming was Age of ultron, but I got some good stuff out of it. I liked AvX a lot also and there are some great characters from that set, so I hope you can get the ones you were hoping for at good price if you choose to buy them seperately.

The great thing about the game is that you don't need to feel obligated to buy the new sets to have a good squad. I still use a ton of the older pieces from the first 2 sets in my best setups. You can have fun just playing what you have for a long time and I still wouldn't get bored cause rolling dice is fun and so is trying out all the combos also. Have you tried doing the 2v2 format yet?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:20 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I haven't tried the 2v2, but maybe at some point we'll look into it.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is the Uncanny X-Men playmat. I have the AvX and the AoU playmats, but I can't find the Uncanny one to save my life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Dudes. Get on Amazon right now!

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Dice-Masters-Uncanny-Building/dp/B00KHUMGVE/ref=sr_1_18?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1448467978&sr=1-18&keywords=dice+masters

The price is $3.20 for a GRAVITY FEED! That's a bit insane, right? I think it's a pricing glitch. I bought 6.

EDIT:

Oh, bummer. I got a contact from TheWarStore saying this "These are individual packs as the information says in the body, Amazon mistakenly commingled the ASINS do you wish individual packs or a cancellation thanks!"

I tried to argue that there is nothing in the product description saying this item is an individual pack, but we'll have to see how it goes. $3.20 is a bad price for a single foil booster, but stupendously awesome for a gravity feed box with 90 of them.

FINAL EDIT:

Yeah, it's as I figured: "We're writing to inform you that your order 116-8301409-3266651 from Thewarstore has been canceled because the price for the item(s) was not set correctly by the seller." Bummer. It was exciting for a while there.... :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:45 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Dudes. Get on Amazon right now!

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Dice-Masters-Uncanny-Building/dp/B00KHUMGVE/ref=sr_1_18?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1448467978&sr=1-18&keywords=dice+masters

The price is $3.20 for a GRAVITY FEED! That's a bit insane, right? I think it's a pricing glitch. I bought 6.

EDIT:

Oh, bummer. I got a contact from TheWarStore saying this "These are individual packs as the information says in the body, Amazon mistakenly commingled the ASINS do you wish individual packs or a cancellation thanks!"

I tried to argue that there is nothing in the product description saying this item is an individual pack, but we'll have to see how it goes. $3.20 is a bad price for a single foil booster, but stupendously awesome for a gravity feed box with 90 of them.

FINAL EDIT:

Yeah, it's as I figured: "We're writing to inform you that your order 116-8301409-3266651 from Thewarstore has been canceled because the price for the item(s) was not set correctly by the seller." Bummer. It was exciting for a while there.... :)

That would have been insane if you'd got it for that price!

Been playing the new Amazing Spider Man set and its got some really cool stuff in it. The new abilities are pretty good and they balance the game out a lot i think, since before people would get tons of cheap stuff and crowd their zone with them, but now you can benefit from that tactic with the new Underdog ability and turn the tide vs the opponent. The set is very much pushing lower activations (to use a start wars miis term) which I think is a great step forward.