logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (non-spoiler)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ok, so I saw this film on Saturday. I had heard all the bad reviews saying it was too slow and that it wasn't as good as the LOTR's movies. Rottentommatoes.com didn't have a great score for it. So I wen't into the movies with a little doubt in my heart as to If I'd like this movie.

And here's what I learned from this movie. Middle Earth is back and I loved every minute of it! I've read the reviews and heard people even in the theatre complain it was too long. I think these must have been the same people that thought the original LOTR trilogy movies were too long. I had no problem at all with the pace. The movie had the feel of Fellowship of the Ring, where you get a sense of an epic adventure is taking place and the first 30 minutes are building it up and getting you immersed and in love with Middle Earth again. I wasn't bored at all watching it. I loved it! If you are a fan of J.R.R Tolkein, you will love this movie. If you aren't, you probably won't enjoy the detail that is in this film.

Most reviewers saw this movie in 48 fps. I didn't. I saw it in 24 fps just like how the other LOTR movies were filmed in. Maybe this is why people say it seems slow and it feels a bit off. I would recommend to everyone: see it in 24 fps. If you want to see if in 48 fps, see it after you see it in 24 fps.

Overall, I loved this movie, and I'm glad we are finnaly back in Middle Earth again. My only concern in this movie is how they are going to to fit the rest of the book into 2 more 3 hour films. He's going to have to add some extra story from his other books. I can see how this movie would be 2 movies. This movie ends where I thought it should have ended. And that is great. I'm just left wondering how they are going to show the next 2 movies. But if I means more time spent in Middle Earth and more epic journeying, I'm all for it, and I look forward to seeing the rest of this trilogy. I would like to tell people to not listen to the negativity being blasted at this movie. I think it is all being aimed at the 48 fps version (which would be if you see it in 3D). See the movie in 24 fps 2D glory!

So what did everyone else think of this movie? Please try to refrain from posting spoilers. If you do, indicate them as a spoiler. I'll make another forum topic later discussing the different plot elements in this movie, so that one will be spoiler filled, but seeing as this movie is brand new, I think it would be best to wait a while to give people a chance to see it.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (non-spoiler)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:48 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I thought it was great, it wasn't too slow for me either. I liked how they didn't try to tack on a love interest, and most of the cheesy lines were actually in the book.

I think they can get three movies pretty easily - they only got through 6 of the 19 chapters of the book in the first movie, and they're set up to add some action around the White Council and Dol Guldur, which is only mentioned in passing in the book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Not gonna lie. The Pacific Rim trailer is a big reason I'm going to go see this in theaters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:09 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well, as a resident on Middle Earth... ah, I mean, NZ, I feel I have to add my two cents worth... although, NZ doesn't have a two cent coin anymore... so it'd have to be my ten cents worth (since we got rid of $0.05 too) and I don't really have enough time for that. Wait, what was the question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:14 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Overall, I enjoyed it but it was in fact way too long. They could have stopped with the group's departure from Rivendell rather than drag the movie along for another hour.

While I liked the tie-ins to the LotR trilogy, at times I felt like I was watching a D&D campaign being played out on film. No, that is not a good thing. Trying to avoid spoilers, but The orc hunting the group is so cliche, and not a part of The Hobbit book I remember reading a few years ago. I found the depiction of the goblins to also be more World of Warcraftish (I actually thought I was looking at Ironforge as the screen panned over the Dwarven city when the dragon attacked) than Lord of the Ringsish.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Watched it in 2D with my son last night. He had just finished reading it for school, so he noticed pretty much everything that diverged from the book. We both enjoyed it a lot, and didn't lose interest because of the length.

I've read all the books MANY times, so I enjoyed the LotR tie-ins. The scenes in the caverns with the goblins may be a little over the top, but were cool nonetheless. The Goblin King's voice kinda bugged me though. ;)

Didn't expect the story to go quite as far as it did, so it will be interesting to see how the rest is spread out over 2 more movies. I'm eager for more. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:39 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

My wife and I went to the 48fps 3D movie last night. Despite a pounding headache before arriving, I enjoyed the movie.

It has been too lone since I read the book so I can't tell you where they did not follow it, but the graphics were amazing, and the eagles took my breath away. The one thing that bothered me the most was that beater and biter did not glow as sting did in any of the movies (The Hobbit or LotR).