logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Hunger Games movie review (no spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am just wondering what others thought of the hunger games movie. Have you read the book/books?
For the most part I thought it followed the book pretty closely. I find myself nit picking every little detail when comparing movie to the book (which isn't fair to do). While I enjoyed it, it does almost seem like they could have done so much more. I was really excited to see this movie as I was a fan of the books so maybe I put it on to much of a pedestal. I am torn as to how good this movie was. I enjoyed it a lot and thought they did a good job following the book but something just felt missing to me. It didn't hit me on the level I was expecting.

Your thoughts, opinions, comments are more than welcome.

Post subject: Re: Hunger Games movie review (no spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:21 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I thought the movie was very fantastic. I caught the midnight showing and almost all (if not all) 18 showings at the theatre were sold out. It was so full it took me 20 minutes to even leave the parking lot!

I hadn't read the books because I hate hate hate hardcover books and 2 of the 3 novels are hardcover only. After the movie, I automatically went to the store and bought all 3. Plus the soundtrack, because that was one great soundtrack (which makes sense considering one guy produced and helped write majority of the songs). I haven't started reading it yet but plan to within the day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2 of the 3 in hardcover only? My sisters have all 3 and 2 are in paperback (hunger games and mocking jay), only catching fire is in hardcover, but considering that is book 2, I'm assuming it is also available in paperback. After discussing it in detail with my sisters I think I found out that something that I thought was missing. I won't discuss it here yet as I don't want to spoil anything for others. After you finish the book, plz get back to me for more disscusion as to what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:21 pm 

I think they're available in paperback in the UK, but not in the US. Or at least that's what I understand from Amazon where they have a paperback collection but it's imported from the UK. Both Catching Fire and Mockingjay are only available as hardcover on Amazon and at book stores (I went to a Barnes & Noble chain to buy a new bookmark and saw all but the first book in hardcover). It's sadly not unusual in the US for books that have been out for only a little over 2 years (like Catching Fire which was released September 2009) to only be available in hardcover. The industry is shifting more towards eBooks so they need to keep the more expensive hardcovers in publication for longer...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Well considering that Collins was one of the Ex producers, I felt it was faithful as they could make it with in the movie's time frame,and I felt they did an excelent job of dealing with the Expostion and showing stuff that will get call backs in the next two movies.

At the start of the movie upon seeing Distract 12, I felt like i had been
Spoiler: show
transported back to 1960's appalachia due to the costumes,which over all were done very well,and Woody Hirlson's HAymiotch was also wonderful to watch.

Then there was
Kitnass's character establishing moment with the cat "I can still cook you know" not as big as in the book when it mentioned she had tried to drown it,but it still works.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:24 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I enjoyed the movie and I thought it was better than the book. They did an excellent job of setting it up to be a complete trilogy.

Also, it's weird that the other 2 are still only in hardback considering how cheap the shook versions are.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:11 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

hinkbert wrote:
I enjoyed the movie and I thought it was better than the book. They did an excellent job of setting it up to be a complete trilogy.

Also, it's weird that the other 2 are still only in hardback considering how cheap the shook versions are.

There was a lot of foreshadowing in this movie and I was happy with how they did that. But after discussing it in details with my sisters, we have found out why I felt like something was missing. The books are written in such a way that you almost feel as if you are in the games and can see the brutality first hand, and while the movie was good, (possibly the best book to movie adaptation) I didn't get the feeling I was in the games or seeing just how brutal this was.
I think my biggest disappointment was with the beasts as I and many others felt like that was an important part of the book in showing just how sadistic the capital really was.
But I don't want to sound as if I didn't like, cause I did thoroughly enjoy it and probably would say it was the best movie off a book out there today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

sthlrd2 wrote:
I think my biggest disappointment was with the beasts as I and many others felt like that was an important part of the book in showing just how sadistic the capital really was.
But I don't want to sound as if I didn't like, cause I did thoroughly enjoy it and probably would say it was the best movie off a book out there today.

Well looking back there was a lot of tiny detials that got cut due to time, like a lot of the interaction on the train with Effie and i'm sure there are numerous other details that i'm forgetting too. But yes over all this adaptation is one of the best book to movies I have seen since either HArry potter 1 or LotR

Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I really enjoyed the movie, and it does follow the books pretty closely. A lot of details were cut out, but all the "big moments" are there, which is good. There was no way they could fit EVERYTHING in of course, so I wasn't sure if they were going to just leave out details or if they were going to remove any of the important parts. They went with the former. It makes the movie feel a little rushed, and makes it hard to care about certain things as much as the book makes you care about them
like Rue's death
but I think that's better than leaving out any major points. The stuff they added (like the extra scenes between Seneca and President Snow) were excellent, and they did a very good job using those scenes to show things that in the book Katniss was just thinking. I was worried about how they would handle all of her internal monologue from the books, and they did a very good job of showing us the essentials that the book gives to us through her thoughts.

Here's a pretty thorough article about what's missing from the movie: http://io9.com/5896475/everything-the-h ... e-left-out

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

It's interesting to note that some stuff that jsut gets a throw away line in the second book
Seneca's excacution
has a bit for it,along with the secen from Rue's home distract showing the riot.