logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: A Game of Thrones LCG
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So I just picked up the core set for this game. Pretty neat. And while I do have some catching up to do in terms of expansions, the LCG format makes it less daunting. No rarity, 3x of each card. And a chapter pack a month is easier to swallow (more once I start to catch up).

I really like the resource/victory management options in the game. The Plot cards make things different each round. Although it seems things can either start running away or have a sudden reversal (seriously, an Armageddon-like card is in the core set).

There are great options for playing, with 2 player, up to 4 players, and team play. With the way a game plays out, it could be very interesting.

Post subject: Re: A Game of Thrones LCG
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:39 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Its a great game. Its my fav card game since star wars ccg. The meta is a little odd right now.
I have pretty much all the cards up to 2011 Sept. I have just been busy and did not have to to pick up anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I haven't played this yet - I very much want to - but I am hooked on the Lord of the Rings LCG. It follows a similar premise with the amazingly fantastic component of having solo play built in. That is its strongest appeal for me, as it means that after a long day of work when all I want to do is go home and kick back on the couch, I can play a game without feeling weird about running a multi-player game in solo mode, or having to switch into MMO mode and turn on the computer. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Scott Ill bring all my cards to gencon and we can play a few games together.

multi player(+3 or 4) is not that great outside of the core though. Thats the one problem I have with the game.

Its got better I guess with all the new cards that I have not played with.

I am glad they got Lord of the rings right. Did they ever come out with another set for that game. I stopped playing because I got bored of just the core set.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jonny, they have put out 8 expansions (including one that hit shelves this week) and a boxed Kazad-Dum expansion with some amazing Tactics sphere cards. The other expansions come with 3 copies of each player deck card and an encounter and run about $10 a piece. The Kazad-Dum expansion is dwarf-based (obviously) and has 3 new encounters in it. As a boxed set, it's about $20. I get my stuff at Miniature Market, mostly.

With all the stuff - I don't have this week's encounter deck yet - you can make some really good decks that can beat all but one of the encounters in solo play. If you have played the game, then of course you know I am referring to "Escape From Dol Guldur." That scenario is impossible to play by yourself.

You can see the full list here:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lot ... rd-spoiler

Sorry to derail.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Right now, it is just starting to plan out my next purchases as I'm learning. I'm just really looking forward to getting into actual deck building.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Where is a good place to buy this game online? I read about this game just today and it sounds really good. If SW CCG players like this game, I'm sure I will too, since I loved SW CCG a ton. What sets would be good to buy for a beginner? I'll probably get into this game as the game mechanics are pretty interesting. It almost sounds like a Medival version of Star Wars CCG and Star Trek CCG combined.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Just buy the core online pretty much anywhere. The minis online sites where we use to get stuff or amazon at times is a good start. I think pretty much everything is in stock now so prices wont get crazy on the sites like they did for a few expansions thats when amazon has come into play.

then figure out what you like to play and go from there.

I would pick from Stark, Lannister,Baratheon,Targaryen which are in the starter and have expansions for them or coming soon.

Stark doesnt have a expansion based on it but it has a little spread out everywhere which is good and bad.

I would go on the website and the forum to figure out what chapters you need to buy.

I am a big fan of stark,Lannister
expansions(Each one is based on a house but has other cards too)
Kings of sea-GreyJoy house
Lords of Winter has a little of everything but it has a good place for stark
Kings of the storm Baratheon House is a good start
Princes of the sun: Martell house
Queen of the Dragon: I dont have it but its great for Targaryen House and dragon builds from my understanding

Lions of the rock which is not out but will be great for lannister from my understanding.

If you want to play multi player just do Core+chapters and not the expansions they can mess things up. Really the Chapters can mess things up too but not like the expansions can. I would just stick to two player or core.

If you start playing the game with others getting two core sets is a good thing.

For looking at cards the site Boris posted and http://agot.dbler.com/(it has not been updated in a lot time tho.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:47 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/592 ... your-compr

This thread was a great starting place for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Sithborg wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/592228/so-im-considering-getting-into-agot-lcg-your-compr

This thread was a great starting place for me.

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and bought the core set and I'll give it a try. I think I'll like this game. It sounds really cool and that they are still making cards for it is a definite plus.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:01 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Well its been going on since 2004 it was just a ccg back then. With the new book that came out last year and the tv show I dont think the game will be going anywhere.

I know there is online somewhere obi if your up for it. People have talked about it before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So far, picked up 2 chapter packs, and I'm really getting anxious to do some real deckbuilding once I gets some of the Deluxe House expansions.