logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: WOTC boards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:25 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

This seems like the right spot to vent my thoughts on the WOTC boards. I like to support the company that makes a game that I really enjoy playing by posting on their site. A few changes (look at this boards forums) would really help. The Mod that have been posting lately are sure different than the Mod's that were posting over the past few years.

It's amazing how a few rude folks can change my mind about the board.

It's taken me much longer to get to this point than some of the posters on this board. I'm now here with you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Eric, your expertise is most, most welcome here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:57 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I need details. I will be unable to get them this Thur (having wisdom teeth out).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:58 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

I too am having serious reservations about their ability to mod. And I have sent several complaints and issues on to them. they have a practice of merely responding to "reports" rather than actually modding.

I understand that reporting features are an important part of the job on large boards. However, the blatant hypocrisy and unfairness to the existing practices suggest to me they are relying on it way too much.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I will always post on wizo boards because it doesnt matter how good our threads are here, they will never be read by Rob and Co, where there they have at least a chance of making it to their eyes.

But i too have become almost non-existant over there because there really isnt much to post about. Also, their lack of updates for this set is really starting to irk me. It has effectively ham strung my pojo reviews.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

What's the deal with all the secretive antics over there? Don't they understand the fact that early releases in Europe guarantee spoilers in the states? ARRGHHH I want global releases from now on (on the early schedule of course)

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:01 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have completely stopped using the Wizards Forums, mostly because of the Moderators over there. Over the last few months it seems like the Wizard moderators are out to get the SWM players. However, I could just be being paranoid. But, seriously these forums are sooo much better than the Wizards Forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I've never registered on wizards and I probobly never will because this place is most likely way better and I like it here a lot. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:51 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

With me it's just down to the rules problems, and at the end of the day the only official answers to rules queries are going to be answered there, that's why keeps me going back.

I'm sure Nickname thinks I'm bugging him on purpose with my recent AT-AT questions, I'm not, there are just holes in the rules. Alas the only place those holes can be filled if at the WOTC boards because I want to play the game by-the-book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

i never go to wotc boards. they either dont give a crap what kind of flaming is going on, or they lock a thread that has a simple debate. its rediculous. i remember when the A&E first spoilers came out and tis 1 kid made 4! 4 different threads when his first 2 got shut down. it had been a half hour and no wizo was there. i called him a an idiot and such for not listening and im th one who got banned. well, that was a while ago, and i have names still on there, but i will never use them for the sheer lack of respect. Dean, this site is the best ever. good people, mods, fools ulitimate archives, and lets not forget your undying love for the swm game and players alike. if only we could get previews.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:46 am 
General
General

I will continue to post on both boards, the wider the discussion the more preferred the board is to me. The more unique the viewpoints and the more diverse the crowd, the more I enjoy discussions. As such, for that reason alone, I will try to stay within the rules of the WotC site just to be a part of something as diverse as their site.

This site certainly has its merits, but I know what I am going to get when I read any of the topics on this forum. With WotC's, I can be surprised by some very different viewpoints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 am 

Fool wrote:
SD,

Here I have to disagree. As this place grows and our boards start to become more successful and a more "common" place for the Gamers of all ages, Wizos basically has no choice but to come here to see our perspectives on the game.

"Wizos" are the moderators - they arent usually even SWMs players. And they are bad moderators imo.

But I would ever expect our information here to take over for WotC. Nor would I expect Rob (or whomever from WotC) would ever frequent here enough to make us happy.

That is the only reason I have not closed my account on WotC. I will continue to post over there, but much less freqently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:34 am 
General
General

Fool wrote:
The only reason they are more diverse is they have more posters. Thats simply it. The more people spend more time here and the more shift of posters we have here, the more variation on the perspectives we will see.

Ah, and here is the rub: Why do you ever think this site will grow as big as WotC's? Unless the game dies and fansites take over, I just do not see it happening. As such, I prefer the more viewpoints of WotC's site. The inevitable whine threads can be ignored if they are not your cup of tea.

As for the moderation on the other forum: sorry if people's over the top sarcasm and thinly veiled hostility is not accepted there, I certainly will not miss those posters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I agree with emr, there's no way these boards will be as big as the boards sponsored by the company that makes the game.

Just isn't in the cards

Also, I hate the new Wizos

what happened the our old Wizos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 am 

emr131 wrote:

As for the moderation on the other forum: sorry if people's over the top sarcasm and thinly veiled hostility is not accepted there, I certainly will not miss those posters.

Way to undermine our argument with complete dismissal... I dont even think you know the situations referred to mostly because, you are in no way connected to the complaints being made, or have any inside information.

Get over yourself Emr. No need to bring your personal issues with some people over here...

For me it is nothing of the sort that Emr refers to. It is the lack of consistent and fair moderation. And if anyone cares, I have been doing an experiment. I have been reporting lots of things I would not have done in the past. And sure enough, no matter how bland, it gets edited etc. Even when its not even the worst post even in that very same thread.

Not only that, they will respond to just about anything reported as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:26 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Fool wrote:
The only reason I have my WotC account still active was finishing up a couple of trades - when they are complete, I'm moving everything here (including my trades) and focusing on one site to rule them all...

Is there a good way to migrate the WotC trade refs here? I've been thinking about cross-listing my trades here, but I'd like to not have to start over and write off 18 good trade refs. :)

Proud Member of: Knights of Columbus (4th Degree) and Triangle Fraternity /T\ (MSOE Chapter)

Last edited by tvknight415 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:34 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I have to agree that WOTC's boards are getting out of control but I have to disagree on the matter of just leaving. I don't see many good examples of proper etiquette over on that site. I see bickering and immaturity from many of the posters. Personally, I'll stay there and try and set a good example for the people who are new or who just don't know how to handle themselves. I also think it would be good for the senior members who frequent here should set the same example over there. Otherwise, the situation is going to descend even further. Just my observation and opinion.

-Pendragon

P.S. I am known as Jason_Bourne on the WOTC forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:02 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Until i have proof that Rob is reading here, i will assume that the only posts he reads are over there. I really dont think he has time to keep track of two sets of boards. Heck i dont even think he hits the Wizo boards that often, but who knows.

I pretty much just browse NNs rulings and that is about it.

I do love here because i cant get crap for reviews of my squads there. Here i can get some nice comments at least. :)

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 am 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
emr131 wrote:

Way to undermine our argument with complete dismissal... I dont even think you know the situations referred to mostly because, you are in no way connected to the complaints being made, or have any inside information.

Get over yourself Emr. No need to bring your personal issues with some people over here...

For me it is nothing of the sort that Emr refers to. It is the lack of consistent and fair moderation. And if anyone cares, I have been doing an experiment. I have been reporting lots of things I would not have done in the past. And sure enough, no matter how bland, it gets edited etc. Even when its not even the worst post even in that very same thread.

Not only that, they will respond to just about anything reported as well.

You have seen me say that their moderation was a strict report -> moderate before. I made this statement months ago on the WotC site. This is not new information. The point is: expect moderation if people view it offensive enough to report. I understand that it is not uniform monitoring of threads or content, and the most offensive is not reported, however, knowing what their system is, the way to survive in it is to not be hostile at all.

Try to think of it like this: You are no longer safe speeding in the middle of a pack of cars. Somebody may not like you breaking the law and decide to alert authorities that a specific car is speeding. I would prefer if the whole pack is caught speeding (rarely is one poster at fault but multiple are), but I still prefer the idea that reporting makes a post looked at more carefully.

I have adapted in their system, some may instead choose to leave it, so be it. I saw a slew of posts removed/edited this past week, and my statement is this: if they don't want sarcasm and they certainly don't want personal attacks, just refrain from them and wow, you are fine to post there.

Take it for what it is worth, I have not reported a post in months (last one was a thread that was moved into the rec room) and don't plan to report many in the future.