logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Revan Novel (spoilers)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:34 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Threw a spoiler alert up just in case we get in depth conversation here.

Gotta say I really liked the book, anybody else read it yet?

Post subject: Re: Revan Novel (spoilers)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I have to say that I did not like it. I have enjoyed Drew's work but this felt way too rushed. I thought it was too short and really should have not been called Revan it should have been Lord Scourge's revenge, guest starring Revan.

I went into the book knowing that Revan and the exile would not survive. But the way they go out is really sad and anticlimactic. It wasn't even a battle and the Exile gets what two sentences before she died. uggh.

There was so much potential in this book and it just felt like the author didn't care about the characters. Which is so weird because he was the lead writer for the first game. I feel like it needed to get out before the Old republic game comes out and it was rushed.

I have more to say but I will let other people give their opinions as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Really? I just finished it, and I loved it! I think this is the best SW book that I've read since the Thrawn Trilogy. However, it should be noted that I read it with the SW-TOR game firmly in my field of view. I read it as both a SW novel and also as a stage-setter for TOR...and as such, I really enjoyed it.

Warning: MASSIVE SPOILERS for both the REVAN novel and for SW-TOR!!!!!

Really, I mean it! :)

In regards to TOR...

It is now very clear who the prisoner is in the SWTOR Taral V flashpoint (http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/taral-v-developer-walkthrough). I kinda already figured that the prisoner was Revan, but there was the matter of the 300-year timespan between Revan's time and the time of TOR to consider. Now it's obviously Revan...and the ghost that Master Otar speaks to during the mission briefing is actually Meetra (Exile). Very artfully done, IMHO. I can't wait to get to lvl 32 so I can run that flashpoint. :)

I thought the novel ended perfectly, at least as it pertains to TOR. They needed to have the Emperor alive and ticking in order to establish TOR's setting...and they also needed some factor to hinder his power (Revan's continued influence).
I thought that Scourge's choice at the end was tragic (at least as far as the result of the novel), but perfect for him because it was entirely true to his character. He is now immortal, and he is also maintaining his Emperor-must-die conviction, even while serving as the Emperor's Wrath...it's just a matter of time until he finds the hero (ie, the TOR character) that Revan spoke of. It also sets the stage perfectly for some sweet endgame content, where Scourge could conceivably end up betraying the Emperor in an attempt to save the galaxy for himself.

We also have a viable background for Satele Shan's emergence as a Jedi Grandmaster, since the child of Revan and Bastilla is a male (carrying on the family name) and has some highly force-sensitive children of his own.

So as far as TOR is concerned, I think the Revan novel works perfectly; and that was its main purpose: to tell the final story of Revan in such a way that it ties up loose ends and sets the stage for the game. In this area I'd say it's 10/10.

In terms of the novel itself, I really liked it too. I loved the part where Revan Reborn emerges from the cell, then fries Nyriss with her own lightning. That was pretty sweet. I thought the character with the most depth in the novel was certainly Scourge, though Revan was well done too, especially regarding his willingness to sacrifice himself. Revan's influence on Scourge was well-done, too. In terms of critique, I did think that the final battle with the Emperor could've gone on for another chapter, and also that we could've spent less time with the Mandalorians and more time with Meetra. As a novel I'd give it a 8.5/10 or so.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:35 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have to say i agree with you for the most part there Trevor. That confrontation with the Emperor could have gone on longer, and perhaps that is the only major letdown I felt during the book. More time with Meetra would have been greatly welcomed but I suppose a lot of her presence was a plot device more or less. Not a terrible thing but it is just a small backhand to the KOTOR 2 fans.

Scourge btw absolutely has a role to play in SWTOR. Especially if you are playing as a Jedi Knight. I don't want to ruin anything so I will leave it at that.

The one character I expected to see more of, or perhaps more of an impact was Sechel. But I suppose there was enough on the plate as is.

It is true though, this novel is an absolute precursor to the SWTOR launch. I am surprised they didn't have a tagline about it somewhere. I think it would have had a better reception if people had that impression.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Isn't the full title Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan? Making it the third book in the TOR book series?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:16 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

yeah, but the old republic seems to get blown off as an era more than anything directly tied to the game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Dimetrodon wrote:
yeah, but the old republic seems to get blown off as an era more than anything directly tied to the game.

It hasn't seemed like it recently. Sure, the Bane books had the "A novel of the Old Republic" tagline, but this is part of the title. The title looked a lot like the TOR novels Fatal Alliance and Deception.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:33 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, the Revan novel is designed to be grouped with those other 2 novels. I'm not sure if there are any other novels planned for later, but I'd expect not, since most of the storytelling after this point will be done in-game, rather than pre-game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nothing has been announced, but that doesn't mean we won't get more. Perhaps just not anytime too soon. If the game really picks up then I bet we'll see a lot more content come out.

Warcraft as an example has a great many books out based around the MMO, while some are older and more in line with the RTS games.

But I definitely expect more down the road. But for now I suppose it is time they focus on the game first.