logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Favorite Video Games of All-Time
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:48 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

So the other day I was bored, at work, and thinking what was my favorite video game of all time.. Wellllll I had to make a top ten of sorts because you can't just mention one game without mention another. So here's my little list.. sure it'll probably change but for right now this is what I consider the best of all time. For me anyways.

10. Advance Wars for the GBA It's a tough call between this game, Fire Emblem and Tactics Orge but nothing can give me back those 10 hour gaming sessions with just me and my gameboy advance from 11pm to 9am, taking a break and then going back to it again. So many hours of my life wasted on this game! But I enjoyed them all, ofcourse.

9. Starfox for the SNES The first console game to feature polygons! Wow.. it hasn't aged well, graphic-wise. But gameplay is solid today as it was back then. This game captured the "Star Wars feel" pretty well, playing through the game in the cockpit view of your R-Wing was pretty similar to an x-wing. The N64 and Gamecube versions had much more to offer but the SNES game is where it all started, and I loved it from the first mission all the way to shooting Andross's eyes on his polygon face at the end.

8. Grand Theft Auto 3 for the PS2 There isn't much to say about this game that you haven't heard a million times already. This one was definately my favorite, as I pretty much lost interest after I beat Vice City. I think the best part of this game and games like it is thinking of creative ways to reach an objective. I remember trying to think of the craziest way of assassinating Salvatore Leone, I onced lined huge military 18 wheelers blocking his entrance to his estates, then when his limo tried to plow through I chucked grenades at the whole mess and watched everything blow up. Yeah this game brought out the sick in me.

7. Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the Dreamcast 56+ characters in a fighting game might not seem too impressive these days but hell it was like the most I'd ever seen on the screen back then! What other game let you pit Cable/Dr. Doom/ and Wolverine vs Ryu/Mega Man/ and Jill Valentine from resident evil... that's right no other game. Hetic game, so crazy and over the top but it just never got old. The reason to own a Dreamcast back then.

6. Zelda Ocarina of Time for the N64 This game is EPIC. I remember getting lost in dungeons and being frustrated for about 10 minutes, then finding the answer to clue or puzzle and it was the most satifying feeling! This game is loaded with momments like those, and so many secrets (my favorite was catching the guy running around Hyurle Field with a bunny ears on his head.. the bastard) it was mindblowing. The bosses were incredible and everything about this game oozed greatness... cept the music. Didn't like it all that much.

5. Metroid Prime for the Gamecube The reason I bought a gamecube, this game is simply amazing. Being a huge fan of the series I really had doubts about sending a timeless 2D adventure game into 3D, but this game nailed the feel of Metriod flawlessy. Platforming in first person shooter that is acutally fun? Who knew it was possible. The weapons, worlds, and boss battles were all amazing. Someone buy me a wii so I can play corruption now!

4. Street Fighter 2 Turbo for Arcade Oh man, how I miss those days of wasting 10 bucks worth of quarters on this game. Perfecting my uppercut/fireball/dragon punch technique was bliss.. and bumming change off of ppl to play just one more game was pretty timeless as well. Streetfighter III: Third strike may be better the memories I have of this game put it over the top for me.

3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island for the SNES I remember getting this game when it was first released and being floored by the visuals. The creative coloring book style backgrounds, the crazy mode 7 effects. Loved this game to death, I did. My favorite Mario game ever. Too bad not too many ppl played it because it was released so late in the SNES life cycle.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis Well I will admit that Mario games were superior in terms of level design and depth Sonic will always have a place in my heart. Back when systems had pack-in games that mattered (nice try Wii Sports), Sonic was king. Well untill SNES with Super Mario World but yeah, for me I was all about the hedgehog. The graphics were amazing for its time and the music is still awesome even after all these years.

1. Super Metriod for the SNES What can I say? This game is just flat out awesome. The gameplay is flawless platforming and action, the bosses are amazing... the ending was uber-cool as well. The graphics for it's time were pretty impressive and the music is timeless. I can play through this game over and over and never get tired of it. I'll brag that my fastest clear time is 2 hours 34 minutes but yeah, some ppl beat this in like a half hour. Still get to see Samus in the swimsuit though.

Okay So I know I left out a few games here and there... but oh well, post your top ten games![/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:05 pm 
Lancer Nation
Lancer Nation

My Dad and I loved the Shining Force games for the Sega handheld we both still break it out once in a while

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:55 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Final Fantasy Tactics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

homer_sapien wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics

I never got it for the ps1, and now that my ps2 is long dead my only means of playing it is the GBA version, which I know isn't exactally the same, but I've logged 118 hours on that little thing and still haven't beaten it (I refuse to, I don't want it to end). I can't wait for the DS sequel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'd have to say my fav. game of all time is Legend of Zelda: The Ocorana of Time for the Nintendo 64. Just an awsome game all around, it never gets old no matter how many times you play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:27 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Goat wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics

I never got it for the ps1, and now that my ps2 is long dead my only means of playing it is the GBA version, which I know isn't exactally the same, but I've logged 118 hours on that little thing and still haven't beaten it (I refuse to, I don't want it to end). I can't wait for the DS sequel!

Comparing Tactics for the GBA to the one for PS1 is like comparing FF6 to FF7. They're completely different games. The PS1 game is way better than the GBA one.

EDIT: Finish the story missions if you want to. The game keeps going after the main story missions are finished.

Last edited by homer_sapien on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:28 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Darth Havok wrote:
I'd have to say my fav. game of all time is Legend of Zelda: The Ocorana of Time for the Nintendo 64. Just an awsome game all around, it never gets old no matter how many times you play it.

lol havok me too but when halo 3 comes out that will be another favorite probobly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:40 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

homer_sapien wrote:
Goat wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics

Comparing Tactics for the GBA to the one for PS1 is like comparing FF6 to FF7. They're completely different games. The PS1 game is way better than the GBA one.

EDIT: Finish the story missions if you want to. The game keeps going after the main story missions are finished.

I know I'm gonna get shot for this but I thought FF7 was really overrated, as with the FF games in general. Then again I missed the boat with FF6, I never had a chance to play it, and now I basically waiting to get it on the GBA sometime, which most people say it's the best one in the series. I understand they dumbed down the GBA version of FF Tatics and completely changed the story to suit younger players, the target audience for the GBA, which was a bit of shame. I played FFT for the PS1 once at friends house and I was pretty impressive, storyline wise alot better than a rip off of The Never Ending Story... but alas my PS2 decided to die on me as did my desire to touch anything Sony for a long time. I'm still gonna go back and get a ps2 just to play all the games I missed.... some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:31 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I won't be the one doing the shooting. I'm another one that thinks 7 is very over-rated. After tactics 6 is my number 2 all time favorite game. I much prefer the numbered FF games that came out before they switched to PS. Thankfully 1-6 can all be played on GBA (3 on DS) now.

Also they didn't dumb down Tactics and change the story for GBA. The GBA game is a totally different game. Other than being a tactics style final fantasy title they have nothing in common. The GBA one has more in common with FF12 than the PS1 tactics.

I don't know if you have a PSP, but if you do there will be a remake of the PS1 Tactics game coming out on that next month if I remember right. I don't have a PSP so i didn't pay too much attention to the release date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:53 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

homer_sapien wrote:
I won't be the one doing the shooting. I'm another one that thinks 7 is very over-rated. After tactics 6 is my number 2 all time favorite game. I much prefer the numbered FF games that came out before they switched to PS. Thankfully 1-6 can all be played on GBA (3 on DS) now.

Also they didn't dumb down Tactics and change the story for GBA. The GBA game is a totally different game. Other than being a tactics style final fantasy title they have nothing in common. The GBA one has more in common with FF12 than the PS1 tactics.

I don't know if you have a PSP, but if you do there will be a remake of the PS1 Tactics game coming out on that next month if I remember right. I don't have a PSP so i didn't pay too much attention to the release date.

No PSP, I rather get a ps2 and buy the original either way. I know FF12 was set in the same world as FFTA, it's probably the only one I've had any desire to play since FF9 (which I stopped playing halfway through out of boredom, really). The brief time I had playing FFT reminded me alot of Tactics Orge, which I believe were made by the same guy? I'm not for sure, I just know Tactics Orge had a real poltical storyline and was really deep.

Getting a PS2 again would be pretty much like opening up a pandoras box for me, so many strat RPGs I would never leave the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:19 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I was really going on FF12 until summer started and I retreated to my room where I have AC. If I remember right Ogre and FF Tactics did have a lot of the same people behind them both. Reminds me I need to try Tactics Ogre again. I had to stop playing it mid way through for one reason or another and by time I got back to it I didn't know what I was doing any more.

I'm planning to look into a few more SRPG's for my PS2. I've been planning to get Disgaea pretty much since it came out but I never manage to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:48 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I'll do my list for each game system that I have (or have downloaded from virtual console).

NES: The Legend of Zelda
SNES: Super Castlevania IV
Let's skip ahead a few years...
Gameboy: Hmmm...Bomberman something something, I can't remember the whole title.
GBA: So many good games...my favorite game system...Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
N64: QUEST 64, still on my top 3 game list!
Gamecube: Ooooooh...SSBM is good, so is Soul Caliber II...does Gameboy Player count? If not, DARK ALLIANCE, my #1 game!
Wii: Meh...I don't have many, so I'm going with SSBB when it comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:32 pm 
General
General

All mine will be PC games. No console games can even place compared to these (for me).

10. Starcraft
9. Quake I
8. Civilization III
7. Command and Conquer: Red Alert
6. Heroes of Might and Magic III
5. X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter
4. Starfleet Command II
3. Master of Orion II
2. Subspace/Continuum
1. Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries

I still play Subspace, Master of Orion II, Heroes III, C&C: RA, Civ III, and Starcraft regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:06 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I'd love to play some of the better PC games, but between being too cheap to pay a monthly fee and having dial up I've pretty much stuck with Diablo II:LOD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:19 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dial up? yuck! there's been talk at the FCC to allow a company to pick up spare bandwidth and offer free wireless broadband nationwide. don't hold your breath that the tel-co majors allow that to go through until after 2008 with a new board to make decisions.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject: top ten
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:05 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

1 being best of the best, 10 being least best, of the best.

1. Star Wars Republic Commando
2. Star Wars Battleftron 2
3. Star Wars KotOR
4. Star Wars Battlefront
5. Star Wars KotOR 2
6. Star Wars Rouge Squadron; Rebel Strike
7. Mechassualt 2: Lone Wolf
8. Star Wars Bounty Hunter
9. Mechassault
10. Star Wars Jedi Starfighter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:14 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I played the card game in FF8 way too much. There were a number of times where I forgot what I was supossed to be doing to advance the game becuase I'd been playing the card game too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Dude I totally forgot about the NHL games... NHL 98 for the PS1 was the peak for me, me and my friends would play 4 player action, we would hold tourneys for a crudly consctructed Stanelys Cup. Probably my fave sports game of all time. I really enjoyed Sega Sports 2K series for their awesome puck physics and being able to pin guys against the boards... much more realistic apporach to the game rather than the turbo checks in the EA games. Although I haven't had a chance to play recent versions of both EA/2K I hear now EA's game has toned down the checks and pace and 2K has done the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:34 pm 
Lancer Nation
Lancer Nation

resident evil 4 im playing for the first time in forever and the last time I didn't get that far but now im way into it and I love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I used to love the turbo checks. Don't judge me, but my friends and I use to laugh forever when we'd split some schmucks head and he wiggled all over the ice. We usually had as many injuries as goals. GO DEVILS!!

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!