logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Chronicles of the Void - A original Sci-Fi RPG
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Hello all, its been a long time since I visited these forums, but it looks like most of you that are still hanging around are old hands so you might remember me.

My name is Wedge Smith, I was a SWM player out of the Dallas/Ft.Worth TX, and I organized a group from Texas including Frank Baker, Todd Slater and Wade Kothman to come out to the SWM Championship at GenCon in 2007 and 2009. I've had the privilege to play with many of you, both in person and on Vassal, and I hold a special fond place in my heart for all things SWM. I did however give up the game when WotC officially announced its cancellation (although clearly many of you did not) which set off on a path that brings me back here to you all today.

When I heard that SWM was canceled I was crushed... for months. To have something I had devoted so much time and energy into be so unceremoniously taken from me was a horrible feeling - one that I know all of you here also experienced. The most depressing thing to me was that... it wasn't the first time I had been burned so badly by a game, since all during my High School years I devoted countless hours to Decipher's SWCCG which suffered a disturbingly similar fate.

So this time I decided that I no longer wanted to invest my time and energy onto the whims of licencing or corporate strategy and that I would chart my own course. A few short months after SWM was canceled I was able to get on the design team for Reaper Miniatures tabletop strategy game Warlord The Savage North. It was a great experience, and I got to learn a lot about how to build a game and take it all the way to production. And the thing I realized is that with a relatively modest sum of money, I could make my own dreams a reality, and create my own game.

So last summer, a fellow designer also on the Warlord project named Doug Bush broke off to work on our own Pen and Paper RPG based in an entirely original science fiction space opera style universe called Chronicles of the Void. It had always been a dream of mine to work on games, to be involved in their craft and to create my own universe which owed its allegiance to no one else. Since that day making Chronicles of the Void has been the most exciting professional accomplishment I've ever had, and I really believe in the work that we've done.

I come to you all today, because I think that of everyone in the world, even if you may not have known me personally, that many of you might share stories similar to mine and have felt the feelings I've felt. Star Wars has always lived by its community, and its fans are some of the best people in the nerd sphere. I can say that I owe the majority of my best friendships in life to Star Wars and the games/media that surround it. I come to you today to ask for your support. We are very close to finishing our game, but we need support form others to raise money to make it a reality. To that end, we've started a Kickstarter fundraiser which you can find here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189034980/chronicles-of-the-void-a-science-fiction-rpg

Thank you for reading this far and I would be so grateful to any of you that found it in your heart to help support my dream of making this game.

Failing that, I wish you all the best of luck as you continue your path with SWM, its been a pleasure to know and play with you, May The Force Be With You.