logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Osama Bin Laden has been killed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The news is on special report. The president came on saying that Osama Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan by US military forces. As a former member of our military I have to say this is a good day. :)

Post subject: Re: Osama Bin Laden has been killed
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Yah as a current member i completely agree. Huaa we finally got him.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

GeneralGrievous wrote:

I take it you got my email brother. :) Huaa

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:48 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Funny yet sadly ironic how Bush gets slandered for sending us into the war and then when the benefits now have been reaped, Obama gets the glory. Not quite fair if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:59 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

cremebrule wrote:
Funny yet sadly ironic how Bush gets slandered for sending us into the war and then when the benefits now have been reaped, Obama gets the glory. Not quite fair if you ask me.

I'll just say that we should try and keep politics out of this, as it could get ugly. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:16 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

People all over the world are tosting this news.

Well done USA.

Hopefully a new chapter in the 21st century is about to begin.

WWJD

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:49 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

cremebrule wrote:

If it aint Star Wars politics it doesn't belong here.

While I don't think Bin Laden's death will help us much in the long run, it's a symbolic victory at least. And the extremists have one less firebrand to rally behind. I'm glad they finally got him.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:01 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

The world is better without UBL around.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:54 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Bin Laden has been pursued by 3 administrations, predating 9-11. This is a great day for democrats and republicans alike. Bin Laden murdered muslims as well as christians in many countries around the world, and so it is a great day for all faiths, that a murderer and terrorist hiding like a coward has finally been killed. Although he probably had very little input on present day activities, his death is symbolic and an important event. It's a great day for everyone.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:54 am 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

SquelchDog wrote:
GeneralGrievous wrote:

I take it you got my email brother. :) Huaa

Sure did haha, a bunch of the boys and I watched it on a sat tv in the mess hall out in the training field. A fair bit of army cheering after.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Darth_Jim wrote:
Bin Laden has been pursued by 3 administrations, predating 9-11. This is a great day for democrats and republicans alike. Bin Laden murdered muslims as well as christians in many countries around the world, and so it is a great day for all faiths, that a murderer and terrorist hiding like a coward has finally been killed. Although he probably had very little input on present day activities, his death is symbolic and an important event. It's a great day for everyone.

Agree. The first calls Barack made were to Bill and George. I think that was the intelligent and responsible choice. I also heard 0 about making it political. Now, with that said, give it a few days, and like everything, it will turn political. I wouldn't expect Obama to use it other than as a part of a list of accomplishments or something, but there are other Democrats who will. But more likely, you will hear Republicans trying to take away the accomplishment because it has a passive support for Obama. One of my friends on facebook last night wrote, "Today Barack Obama announces the killing of Bin Ladin, tomorrow, the house Republicans request the long form death certificate..." It will be politicized by both sides to a degree, but probably more by the right. Regardless, this is a success for the US Intelligence and War Efforts, including Obama. But it's one that I think rightly, was first shared with the two men who helped make Bin Laden number 1 on the most wanted list - Clinton and then G.W. Bush. Its not a day to celebrate as the death of any person shouldn't be celebrated like a party, but a day to remember none the less. Congrats to all who have worked for this day for the last 10 years. It is the end of the largest manhunt in history. Let's hope it helps usher in the peace and justice that everyone in the world deserves, rather than beget more violence.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

billiv15 wrote:
Its not a day to celebrate as the death of any person shouldn't be celebrated like a party, but a day to remember none the less.

I would have to agree with you there Bill. Honestly my first reaction was sadness. A man was killed yesterday. However, as former member of the US Army, and a New Yorker. I believe Osama Bin Laden got exactly what he deserved. And according to his religious beliefs his body was laid to rest. As a Christian, that last part was important to me. He now stands before God and will be judged for his actions on Earth. For me, this is a closed chapter of the book on the war against terrorism. Unfortunately, there are still many chapters to go. Hopefully they won't all end like this one did, with the death of a man.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:35 am 

SquelchDog wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Its not a day to celebrate as the death of any person shouldn't be celebrated like a party, but a day to remember none the less.

I would have to agree with you there Bill. Honestly my first reaction was sadness. A man was killed yesterday. However, as former member of the US Army, and a New Yorker. I believe Osama Bin Laden got exactly what he deserved. And according to his religious beliefs his body was laid to rest. As a Christian, that last part was important to me. He now stands before God and will be judged for his actions on Earth. For me, this is a closed chapter of the book on the war against terrorism. Unfortunately, there are still many chapters to go. Hopefully they won't all end like this one did, with the death of a man.

Very well said.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:45 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

billiv15 wrote:
SquelchDog wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Very well said.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:37 am 

SenateCommando wrote:
cremebrule wrote:

Sorry mates for my previous post; got a little carried away there.

On the topic of SW Politics, I wonder if a celebration of sorts happened like this after Dooku/Greivous was killed (well; for the few precious minutes after Greivous was killed anyways before Order 66 was initiated).

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

SenateCommando wrote:
cremebrule wrote:

While I don't think Bin Laden's death will help us much in the long run, it's a symbolic victory at least. And the extremists have one less firebrand to rally behind. I'm glad they finally got him.

This.

Some very insightful things have been said in this thread, props to you all. I'm not even an American, but Bin Laden has been a symbol for terrorism for to long. One less firebrand to hide behind indeed.

I am also glad he was laid to rest with respect to his traditions and yet in a way that there will remain no shrine to him as a symbol of his percieved martyrdom.

Also, Pakistan probably has some awkward questions to answer...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

cremebrule wrote:
I wonder if a celebration of sorts happened like this after Dooku/Greivous was killed (well; for the few precious minutes after Greivous was killed anyways before Order 66 was initiated).

A galaxy-wide celebration did happen after the Emperor died and the Empire fell, at least in the newer version of Episode 6. Ewoks dancing, planet-wide celebrations everywhere.

I agree with Bill and Squelch though. We can be thankful that justice has been done, even though it's regrettable that yet another person had to die.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:29 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

cremebrule wrote:
SenateCommando wrote:

On the topic of SW Politics, I wonder if a celebration of sorts happened like this after Dooku/Greivous was killed (well; for the few precious minutes after Greivous was killed anyways before Order 66 was initiated).

Well maybe with Dooku, although he was probably mourned as a failure by the jedi. I think Grievous's was a bit overshadowed by the whole order 66 destruction of a timeless order... Yah awkward. But hey Grievous did get a shrine on Kalee and is pretty much the hero of that planet so good on the dear General.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:31 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

SquelchDog wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Well said SquelchDog, I second your comment. Or in true mini fashion +1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

violence against violence is never the answer and often undermines the purpose of those who commit it. Well with that said its funny that sadam got a trial.