logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Competitive vassal league (open to entries and suggestions)
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:24 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

As we have such a wide open meta, I want to create a competitive vassal league. Simply put, it will be an online league with multiple teams who compete with whatever they think is good.

------------Vassal Competitive League---------------------

Teams: To be determined after short "mini league"

Scoring: Every game’s score is taken into account. Highest point total and highest number of wins determines winners. (team and individual)

Rounds: Each round is a different style of game, 100pts, 200pts, tile wars 100&200 points, Dynamic duo, utini, and epic (500 point) if we have time :saber: (also, if people are interested, we can do a booster draft on the last round)

Rules: After teams are determined, all players will be assigned a "roster" to play against for the round. Individuals can play any person on their roster as many times as they desire, however, only the first 3 games in a round will be counted towards scoring. Once the majority of players have played their roster or time runs out for the round the next round will begin. Round 1 will be 200 point format, other rounds and their lengths will be determined at a later date.

Each round will only last a certain number of weeks (likely 3-8). If the majority of players have finished their games before then, we will move to the next round.

All games will follow the STAR WARS Miniatures SWMGPA Floor Rules. There is no time limit on games, however, reasonable game lengths will be implemented if it becomes an issue. If Vassal disconnects a player or a player has to leave a game, then the responsibility is on that disconnected or leaving player to contact his opponent and find a time to continue the game; if the disconnected or leaving player does not contact his opponent within 24hrs, then the player who did not get disconnected receives a forfeit victory. Forfeit victories count (point wise) as if the victor defeated the entire opposing squad AND count towards the three game limit unless both players agree to a rematch.

After the League has begun, new teams can be created from new members wishing to join in, however, the new teams can not begin play until the next round of the tournament. If a team has many inactive players, the team will be broken up or added on to with new members.

Winners: A winner will be determined at end of each round in the following two categories; highest win to loss ratio (number of wins secondary if a tie exists) and highest points scored to points given ratio. Each round, two winning teams will be determined as well, based on which team had the highest win to loss ratio and which team had the highest points earned to points scored against ratio. At the end of the league, the Team with most player wins in all rounds, wins the league.

(Also, I think we can do secondary winners for just number of wins and number of points scored)

------------------Teams----------------

Personally, I would like to see 4 or more teams with 4-6 players a team. I also think scoring should be based on number of points in a game, not just win's/losses. But those are just my opinions.

Current player list:

1: Jedi_Master
2: Thereisnotry
3: R5Don4
4: Greentime
5: Hinkbert
6: Johnnyb815 (AKA gungan)
7: Echo
8: Buttcabbge
9: Obikenobi1
10: Weeks
11: OhMyGOWK
12: DieAndBeMetal
13:
14:

And the teams are!!!!

Team Mando: Hinkbert, Obikenobi1, Echo, Greentime

Team Jedi Hunter: Thereisnotry, Johnnyb815, R5Don4, DieAndBeMetal

Team Wookiee: Weeks, Jedi_master, OhMyGOWK, Buttcabbge

Last edited by Jedi_Master on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:12 am, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Competitive vassal league?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:51 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'm in for sure. As for the HOW...I think many of the different options can work well.

If we're going the Team route, then I think we'll need to organize a play list: let every player play every other player once...that's better than allowing players challenge anyone from another team. What we want to avoid is people avoiding the "star" players on one team while playing all their games against the weaker players of that team.

Back in Chimaera's Vassal league long ago (in 2006), each player played against every other player and Chim kept a list of the results. If you happened to play a second game with someone whom you had already played, it wouldn't count for the league. Also, it rewarded those who played a lot, since if you played 10 games you had the chance to score more wins than someone who played 3 games. It was better to go 4-6 than 3-0.

If we do team play, we could organize it like that, but with individual players being grouped into teams. Those players still play vs players from other teams, but then the team's total points are calculated to determine the team that wins the tournament. There could also be other marks of victory, such as individual placings...and even, perhaps, some kind of recognition for squad diversity (ie, if a player plays all 9 factions over the course of the league he gets bonus pts, etc).

As for teams, I want to be on Team Jedi Hunter! (see my sig)

[I helped Fool run the Gamer's Vassal League several years ago, so if you'd like my assistance I'd be glad to help. If not, that's fine too.]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:13 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Any help would be great tint ^^

Also, would multiple "rounds" work as well? Each person played everybody one time, end round one, start round two.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:07 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, that could be good. The thing is, though, that many people won't play all the other players. We'll have a number of players who play almost every other player, but many people won't even play half of their games...and so we'll never get to the second round.

So we could organize it that you can start playing a second round with another player if both you and the other player have played all your first round matches. However, just from personal experience in pretty much every SWM Vassal league that has existed, I think we'll likely have very few people in that category of players in the second round.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:04 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah, that's true. Maybe each round could be multiple matches but cap the number two players can play against each other? Or even set it up like a bowling league, each team has to play each person on another team, then rotate the teams.

Like Jedi hunter vs vader, then after those matches jedi hunter vs jedi, when each team has played each other team that is the end of the round. Teams have so long to complete their games, like 2 weeks or something, then all unplayed matches are forfeit.

This is why I am trying to drum up ideas :P

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jedi_Master wrote:
Yeah, that's true. Maybe each round could be multiple matches but cap the number two players can play against each other? Or even set it up like a bowling league, each team has to play each person on another team, then rotate the teams.

Like Jedi hunter vs vader, then after those matches jedi hunter vs jedi, when each team has played each other team that is the end of the round. Teams have so long to complete their games, like 2 weeks or something, then all unplayed matches are forfeit.

That could work, because it limits the number of games that you need to play before moving to the second round.

The thing is, I just don't want to see the weaker players being poached while the stronger players are being avoided. That would be against the spirit of the league. Therefore I think it would be necessary to have played against all of the players on the team before you can play against any of those players a second time.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:29 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I'll leave the details to you guys. Whatever the format, I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:58 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thereisnotry wrote:
That could work, because it limits the number of games that you need to play before moving to the second round.

The thing is, I just don't want to see the weaker players being poached while the stronger players are being avoided. That would be against the spirit of the league. Therefore I think it would be necessary to have played against all of the players on the team before you can play against any of those players a second time.

Well, we could always do brackets. People get split into brackets based on wins after so many rounds and people play in their brackets. Although that makes it more like DCI tournament play than a league. It would also make it a more individual league than a team league.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:26 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

One neat way to do it would to accept entrants and have everyone vote on a ranking. Then you set up brackets NCAA style and play on (including a losers' bracket). The highest and lowest ranked players start off facing each other, so there's tons of potential for upsets, chances to make a name for yourself, and just straight-up exposure to skillful play.

If you really wanted to have fun, you could even make the higher-ranked person in each game publicly release their squad ahead of time, so their opponent gets to tech against it.

The potential for betting and trash-talk would be almost infinite.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:44 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Gunigan is in

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

greentime wrote:
The potential for betting and trash-talk would be almost infinite.

Betting and trash talk: Team Atlanta's specialty!

I really like the idea of going into it ranked; maybe instead of voting for the rankings we could have a couple of quick tournaments (one for each "division") and have those generate the seeds

Regardless, I'm probably in. I'll admit up front that time will be an issue with me, so I might have to pass on it if the time commitment is too much, but hopefully I'll be able to manage it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:03 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I'm certainly in to play in whatever format we end up getting set up.

Personally, I like the idea of team play more than individual, but whatever.

Either way we do it, if we're going to do rankings, why not just base it on information we have readily available? Like, 10 points if you won Gencon, 8 points for Gencon Runner-Up, 6 points for Gencon Top 8, 4 points for winning a regional, 2 points for Top 4 at a Regional. It really wouldn't take that long to figure it out.

If we're doing individual seedings, the way to use these rankings would be obvious, but even if we go down a more team-based road, it occurs to me that this sort of rough ranking system could be used to balance teams.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

buttcabbge wrote:
I'm certainly in to play in whatever format we end up getting set up.

Personally, I like the idea of team play more than individual, but whatever.

Either way we do it, if we're going to do rankings, why not just base it on information we have readily available? Like, 10 points if you won Gencon, 8 points for Gencon Runner-Up, 6 points for Gencon Top 8, 4 points for winning a regional, 2 points for Top 4 at a Regional. It really wouldn't take that long to figure it out.

If we're doing individual seedings, the way to use these rankings would be obvious, but even if we go down a more team-based road, it occurs to me that this sort of rough ranking system could be used to balance teams.

I like it. We could do a "seed" round and take everybodies rank from there and make the teams to make sure they are more balanced.

I think we are getting a good picture of things, I'll go ahead and throw up the outline and player list. I also decided to start the "mini league" for placement so get to it boys and have fun!!!

Post subject: Re: Competitive vassal league (open to entries and suggestions)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:13 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm in. Sounds like an excellent way to get prepared for regionals.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:51 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'd like to know more, but I'm potentially keen! (I'd like to get my NZ guys some more competition/high-level experience - although finding times that work for USA vs NZ will be a fun juggle!)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

kezzamachine wrote:
I'd like to know more, but I'm potentially keen! (I'd like to get my NZ guys some more competition/high-level experience - although finding times that work for USA vs NZ will be a fun juggle!)

I've found times to play against Sashlon (who lives in Tasmania), so I think for us in the US its not impossible to set up games with you keen folks in NZ.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'd personally love having team play. My suggestion is that each team faces off against a different team each fortnight (or whatever time frame is picked).

One team is the 'home' team and gets to choose the matchups, whether they decide to do so randomly or based on rankings. After each team member has played one opponent from the opposing team, the 'away' team gets to choose the next set of matchups against the same team.

This would either mean that each player should play at least two games per fortnight. I think it would be better if they are against different players too.

Darth O on Bloomilk
Oliphantodude on Age of Empires 3 if you're keen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

OhMyGOWK wrote:
One team is the 'home' team and gets to choose the matchups, whether they decide to do so randomly or based on rankings. After each team member has played one opponent from the opposing team, the 'away' team gets to choose the next set of matchups against the same team.

This would either mean that each player should play at least two games per fortnight. I think it would be better if they are against different players too.

I like this idea. And I agree that the same 2 players can't play against each other twice.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:38 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Designate your teams based on rankings snake style

Example of 3 team Ranked 1 goes team 1, Ranked 2 goes team 2, Ranked 3rd and 4th goes to team 3, Ranked 5 goes to team 2, ranked 6 and 7 Go to team 1 ECT This balances out

Teams must designate player positions during tournament registration. For example, in a three-player team tournament, each team must designate who is player A, player B, and player C. Players retain these designations throughout the entire tournament.

When two teams are paired against each other during the course of a tournament, the team members designated as player A play against each other, the team members designated as player B play against each other, and so on.