logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: OH Regional results
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fun weekend for sure. It was great seeing Jack, Joe and Gerry, great trip down with Shawn, and awesome meeting Dennis and Craig!

Small field, but 5 states represented.

I ran republic (and no matter how much I scrub I still feel gross).

I kid, but republic is not my style. Never have gotten the hang of it completely. Honestly - a lot of us ran non-tier 1 squads, or else I wouldn't have won.

But - that makes a nice even 10 regional wins for me. With every faction but OR and Mandos on the list. Guess you know what I'll be playing next year at Regionals. Lol

I ran:

--STAP Infection--
43 Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth
35 Anakin Skywalker on STAP
27 Ferus Olin
27 Lobot
21 The Dark Woman
18 Klatooinian Captain
12 Gha Nachkt
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mouse Droid x4

(200pts. 12 activations)

I've seen many variants of this squad, but this is what I ran. I really feel like it needs all this PLUS Panaka, or Qui-Gon JT, or Coleman Trebor, or Admiral Yularen to really be good, but obviously it doesn't all fit!

The squad is pretty gimmicky, and save dependent. I never lost Jorus with his save 6 after using Master Mind Meld, but I had to have failed the save at least 6 or 7 times in the day, but made it with the FP reroll. 2 times I had to use MotF 2 after failing twice just to save him. Then no MMM that round. I used Dark Tempation several times, and lost Ferus AND Anakin multiple times, but was still able to eek out victories. I even used MotF2 with Ferus to reroll the save and still list him twice. (Ugh!)

Obviously there is huge damage potential, but it's fragile. It's so tempting (ha!) to do a deep strike I the first few rounds, but you HAVE to be patient. Really you need to pop MMM right away, then cloak Anakin, Dark Woman, and Ferus. Replaces turn, so they are stuck there. Then next turn you advance and use renewal 2 to gain some back. You really HAVE to have Anakin have more then 2 FPs once you start engaging. So you really can't do much until round 3. This squad plays SURPRISINGLY SLOW, and it's hard to get full 3pt wins. Granted it really slows things down when you lose your main piece to the enemy, and you have to then kill them. Yes, you get the points, but usually not worth it. I seemed to only ever lose full HP guys. When it would have been fine to lose someone (almost dead, then I could kill them and take the points), I'd make the save, Lol.

Only using 1 FP per turn with Anakin having such a low attack really holds him back. You lose Jorus' CE on deep strikes, and if your not using Dark Temptation, it's a pathetic 7 attack. So hard to hit. Can't phase and DT. Can't reroll the save after doing DT, can't reroll an attack and do ANYTHING else. Anyway - potential is there, but it's tough to run. Gha was surprisingly key. Up to 22 activations REALLY saved me.

I'll post more later.