logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: WI Regional Saturday, June 29
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:18 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Ok, that really helps, and thank you very much. I'll be honest, I didn't understand a fraction of what you wrote, but my sons did. Sometimes they invite me to play this with them and although I have a fair amount of ability to play more traditional board games, trying to strategize this game for me is like trying to read Sanskrit. Call me the SWM version of Jar-Jar Binks. We'll be there! Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

@JediCeaser: that's great to hear! If you have any more questions please feel free to message me directly as well, I would be happy to give you my phone number if that makes it easier. You can also message Chargers aka Tim.

@Brad: I understand and appreciate your feelings on the situation. In our case the change to the 3 map lists with only 6 per list probably affects us more than most groups because we have so many players that don't have legal maps at all. Several of us are probably going to be loaning out maps both to our own kids as well as to other players and probably won't have enough to go around otherwise.

Tim made this call several months ago and this is the first time it has come up. It certainly wasn't done to upset anyone or rock the boat but seemed to be more of a necessity. Seeing as we continue getting commitments from more newish players all the time this is starting to look like the only way it would have worked.

I personally like the 3 seperate map lists but at the same time I think we have to be as accommodating as possible given the state of the game. On the plus side, we may have the largest regional of 2013 and we may be doing it with minimal attendance by bona fide "top tier" players. That's kind of a big deal and something we can't take for granted.

Again, this wasn't a slight towards you or the tremendous effort you put in, rather its a unique circumstance not shared by any other regional.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

GalacticFunk wrote:
I personally like the 3 seperate map lists but at the same time I think we have to be as accommodating as possible given the state of the game. On the plus side, we may have the largest regional of 2013 and we may be doing it with minimal attendance by bona fide "top tier" players. That's kind of a big deal and something we can't take for granted.

This is awesome, and I think you guys totally made the right decision. You're dead on about the state of the game; now we need to be MORE accommodating to players, not less. More players is absolutely the #1 thing that brings legitimacy to a game and a tournament. If you have rigid floor rules that are strictly enforced and only a few players, that's not nearly as good (or "legitimate") as making a small accommodation or two and having many more players. If Tim decided that using all the map lists would allow more people to play, then it's good that he chose to do that. It's not like the regional is going to be 250 points or lack Gambit or be lightside/darkside.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm 
General
General

Wow. Step out for a couple days and there's all kinds of activity on here.

As for the maps, blame the Sith Holonews Network. After you published the rules update (and thank you for continuing that work; all players appreciate it even if we don't say so often enough), the discussion led to the map groups and stated that A or B or C or any two groups or even all three groups could be used.

Actually, blame me as the TO. I liked that idea and thought that would work well for us. And it was allowed by the rules. Great. Yes, Mark and I are willing to loan out our maps. We have done so and would do so again. Players using a greater selection of maps allows them to play when not borrowing from us. And personally I (and many players) like a variety of maps instead of playing an entire day on the same two or three. That makes it more fun which is one of the aspects we like to promote.

Overall, I think that it will help participation which I think we all agree is good for the game. WI isn't a "smaller" Regional (we're in the middle) and it sounds like we'll have a good turnout this year. Looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
General
General

obikenobi1 wrote:
My brother (Taylor) will be joining in on the fun.

Excellent!

obikenobi1 wrote:
Also do we need a marker for gambit or will we have those provided at the tournament.

We do have some clear gambit overlays.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm 
General
General

JediCaesar wrote:
My two sons plan to attend the regional in Janesville next Saturday

Excellent!
Are you somewhat close to the area or travelling some distance?

JediCaesar wrote:
I have a few questions ...

All were very good questions. The only dumb question is the one left unasked.

To add to the other replies:

JediCaesar wrote:
(4) How does the tournament work? Is it bracket-style?

It is Swiss-style. All of us will play 4 or 5 rounds depending on if more or less than 16 players participate. As you win, you players others who are also winning. If you are losing, you'll play others who also have opportunities to improve their game. If you're in the middle, then you get to play against others who are in the middle. It's a great system that pairs players of equal abilities and also allows the better players to move into the top 4.

At the end of the 4 or 5 rounds, we will have prizes for everybody. We pick from a pool of Star Wars stuff; when you pick depends on the standings at that moment.

The top 4 will continue on in a bracket playoff format to determine final top 4 standings and find out what trophy they go home with (yes, we have more superb Engineer provided trophies). While they play, the rest of us can watch those better players and learn, play more games (same 200 point format or other fun formats), talk about how our day went or Star Wars in general, or go home if it's closer to our bed time. Some of us old guys need our naps just like our little ones do. :>)

JediCaesar wrote:
(5) Is there an age-limit? They are 13 and 10 years-old.

Nope. We're non-discriminatory. We love to see people of all ages, gender, etc etc come out and enjoy this great game. And moms/dads are welcome to play. wink wink nudge nudge

JediCaesar wrote:
I wish to make sure that we don't show up and are unable to participate as planned due to some reason we haven't anticipated.

We'll make sure they can play.

JediCaesar wrote:
I have a few questions ...

Hopefully we've been able to answer any questions you or your children had. Let us know if you have any others or if any responses were confusing.

Otherwise, looking forward to seeing you and everybody else Saturday and having some fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

So, we're 100% certain about Kryptonite Kollectibles on Plainfield for Saturday? We called there to confirm and the person we spoke to claimed to know nothing about it...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:51 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Just under 36 hours away from the start of the WI Regional. If you are on the fence still just know that we will have a wide variety of skill levels participating in this event. If you don't have a legal map we should have some spares to lend out (so long as they are treated extra nice!). There looks like there will be a minimum of 4 Swiss rounds but a good chance of 5 rounds plus yhe playoffs for the top 4 finishers.

All in all it will be a great day to play a lot of minis with a laid back group of people.

Oh and everyone gets a prize!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:30 am 
General
General

JediCaesar wrote:
So, we're 100% certain about Kryptonite Kollectibles on Plainfield for Saturday? We called there to confirm and the person we spoke to claimed to know nothing about it...

We are definitely on. That's the correct store and location.

I think you got the one person who doesn't pay attention to events. I'll talk to the store about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:06 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

ill be home this weekend maybe ill play

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
General
General

Sorry, Darth_Jim. A couple mistakes on my part are letting you down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Pellaeon took a long time to master, Tim. I still manage to screw things up on a regular basis.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:07 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Results?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:19 am 
General
General

19 players
13 adults and 6 minors
10 WI, 2 MN, and 7 IL

We left the store at 11pm which made a long day. But it was SWM so it was good.

Standings after 5 rounds of Swiss:

1) Shawn: 13 pts. (5-0) GalacticFunk
2) Mark: 10 pts. (4-1) PhilNLil
3) Jake: 10 pts. (4-1) sthlrd2
4) Trevor: 9 pts. (3-2) ObiKenobi1
5) Geoff: 9 pts. (3-2)
6) Tim B: 9 pts. (3-2) TimmerB
7) Logan 1: 9 pts. (3-2)
8) Owen: 9 pts. (3-2)
9) Dominik: 9 pts. (3-2) CorranHornsux123
10) Tim A: 8 pts. (3-2) Chargers
11) Dan: 6 pts. (2-3)
12) Kyle: 6 pts. (2-3)
13) Dylan: 5 pts. (2-3) Darth_Reignir
14) Leif: 5 pts. (2-3)
15) Logan 2: 5 pts. (2-3)
16) Taylor: 5 pts. (2-3) SpacemanSpiff
17) Harry and Joey: 4 pts. (2-3) JediCaeser / harryg
18) Lydia: 3 pts. (1-4)
19) Tristan: 3 pts. (1-4)

Sorry, I didn't catch other screennames. I'll edit this post as I get them.

Final standings,
1. Mark
2. Trevor
3. Shawn
4. Jake

Congratulations to SWMiniverse's Mark on taking a close win and bring the championship back to WI.

Geoff was Headhunter (Mark and Geoff tied but the trophy went to Geoff)
Taylor was Sportsmanship

Last edited by Chargers on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:20 am 
General
General

Mark
You Bet Your Assassin!
Jabba's Palace

Cad, BH
Aurra, Assassin
Morrigan,
BX Sniper
BX Spotter
filler

Trevor
A Caedus of Immortality
Cantina

Caedus, Sith Lord
Zannah
Bandon
Exar, Dark Force Spirit
Vergere
Lobot

Shawn
Gerry's DD NPE
Ravaged Base

Mon Mothma
Yularen
Panaka
Amidala
R2, doombot
18 Naboo Troopers
filler

Jake
Stealth-n-Gouls (and Wuher too)
Rancor Pit

Celeste
Thrawn
Arica
Pallaeon
filler

Geoff
Ducard
Nightclub

Mace, LotLS
Master Yoda
Zam, BH
Jar Jar
filler

Tim Ballard
Carth Cannon
Command Deck

Atton "Jaq"
Bastilla, JM
Carth
filler

Logan 1
Ankle Biters
Peaceful City

Han in Trooper Armor
Ayy Vida
Ithorian Commander
16 others

Owen
Tomato Tamahto Commando Commahndo
Nightclub

Weir
Veers
Calixte
4 Storm Commandos
Thrawn
filler

Dominik
Corran Horn Sux
Cantina

Boba, Merc Comm
Morrigan
Jango, Assassin
Kelborn
filler

Tim A
Darth Jim's Barney and Friends
Grand Plaza

Desann
Nightsister Mother
Morrigan
Thrawn
filler

Dan
Prestige Worldwide
Cantina

Obi, Jedi Gen
Boba, BH
Qui-Gon, Spirit
filler

Kyle
Vong
Cantina

Warmaster Tsavong Lah
4-LOM, Merc
2 YV Ossus Guardians
filler

Dylan
The Hunt for Senator Amidala
Royal City Plaza

Count Dooku, Sep Leader
Cad, BH
Hondo
Aurra, Assassin
filler

Leif
Commando
Cliffside Citadel

3 Sevs
Torch
Fixer
Atin
Bacara
Queen Amidala
filler

Logan 2
There is No Mercy!
Peaceful City

Sidious, Sith Mastermind
Jaba, Crime Lord
5 Klatooinian Assassins
filler

Taylor
Diverging Destiny
Bothan Spynet

Malgus
Ragnos, Dark Force Spirit
Caedus, Sith Lord
Vergere
filler

Harry and Joey (brothers who played as one)
Black Sun
Christophsis

Xizor
Palpatine on Throne
Vader, Legacy
filler

Lydia
Cloak & Dagger
Theed

Jango, Assassin
Kelborn
4 Mando Scouts
filler

Tristan
Squad Name
Grand Plaza

Grievous, Scourge
2 BX Spotters
2 BX Snipers
EG-05 JH Droid
filler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:59 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Congratulations to Mark on the win. I heard a few positive remarks about the welcoming of Kryptonite Kollectibles and you said you all were there until 11...sounds like they should get some free advertising on your show. I know if I can give them some kudos on SHNN I will. (By the way, we plan to have a special edition Wednesday night because of the 4rth of July on Thursday.)

@Tim A. Dude, you finished 3-2 with a squad you've never played before. I think that's pretty awesome, especially considering that against certain squad types in the current meta positioning is critical to winning. Well done.

@Mark and/or Tim: Either or both of you are welcome to join our show Wednesday night on Talkshoe @10est to discuss your regional, be it to give a report or just to share some thoughts on the day in general. We're gonna talk about you no matter what, though lol.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:00 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Typo?
I took home the 3rd place trophy. Not a big deal though so its all cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

No. Looks like you grabbed the wrong trophy by mistake. Is Shawn lost and it was between you and Shawn for third he should have third because he had the better swiss ranking unless you guys played the 3/4 game out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Actually what SHOULD have happened was they should have played for 3rd and 4th. The only true measure is actually playing the game.

But I guess they both agreed to just flip a coin for 3rd. Jake won the coin flip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Congrats to Mark for taking home the WI Regional Championship! It was a well put together squad and very well run. Also - first Separatist win this year I believe! (First Separatist win without a lancer EVER!)

Thanks to Tim A for putting it all together and running a great tournament all together.

As always, it was a good mix of really talented players and young, eager up and comers.

The top 4 at this regional are all excellent players, and 3 out of the 4 made the top 4 for the first time, (mostly due to not playing in many, if any, other regionals). It's a good reminder that excellent players are all over this country even if they aren't making it out to all the regionals/big tournies/GenCon. We may or may not know all their names/screen names . . . yet. But don't be fooled - there was a lot of good play here.

It was an intense top 4 play-off. Each game came down to the last round after time was called if I am not mistaken. Nail-biters in all 3 games!

I gave myself the challenge of running a faction that I virtually never play, and have certainly never attempted playing at a regional - OLD REPUBLIC - (shudder).

That faction is just not my play style. But - I did alright with it. I figured there were only a few bad matchups, and I could deal with taking a loss in the swiss and still make top 4. Unfortunately I hit the bad matchup twice (energy shield), and with save rolls going against me in both of those matches, I literally killed myself in both of those games.

Admittedly I was playing OR very differently than most do. High activation glass cannons vs a rock squad like most play.

In my second loss vs Geoff, he brought Mace, Zam, Master Yoda, JarJar, a Shield-bearer, and R2. I outactivated, sprinted my Carth 16 to base his shield-bearer and used my 2 diplomats to make him kill the shield-bearer and then R2. I could have simply ran away for the lock out win at that point, but I wanted the full win. He ran Jar-jar into my grill, and made an insane amount of bombad gungan saves, so I shot myself to pieces. Then I finally position it to have everyone 6 away from JarJar for the kill (no bombad) and I step away from JarJar, and of course he crits to kill Carth. Yeah, that right there encapsulated my day.

That aside - I had a blast. It was fun playing something new, and it was great seeing a large group of various ages and abilities going at it.

Props to the WI group. They are doing it right!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next