logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Vassal Regional 2013 - July 6
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Date: Saturday, July 6
Time: 2:00 pm EST (1:00 pm CST, 6:00 am on Sunday morning in NZ)

Cost: FREE!
Map List: A (Cloud City, Night Club, Peaceful City, Theed Palace, Offworld Shipping, Offworld Cargo)
Legal Pieces: All WotC and V-Set pieces, up through V-Set 5 (including the BHC Luke and Sidious pieces).
Squad Format: 200pt Constructed. All SWMGPA Floor Rules will be in effect.
Judge: thereisnotry. I'd like to have another judge who can rule if a dispute arises in one of my games; please volunteer if interested.
Prizes: Bragging rights and the deep respect of all the highly skilled players on Vassal. :)
Rounds: Swiss format until we have 1 undefeated player, then cutting to a Top 4 for playoff rounds (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, then the winners play each other in the Finals).
Game Length: 70 min rounds, including setup time.
Requirements: Skype and the newest versions of the Vassal mod and the V-Set extensions must be armed and fully operational on your death star computer. If you have trouble, contact me before the Saturday of the tournament and I'll walk you through the process.

How to Register
1. Sign up in this thread.
2. At least one hour (or earlier) before the tournament starts, send me a PM that includes all of the following information for yourself:
-Real name
-Screen name on Vassal
-Skype name
-Squad, fully written out
-Map choice

How the Tournament Will Run
At the start of every new tournament round, everyone will gather in the Main Room on Vassal. I will announce the pairings, and then you and your opponent will make your room. From the moment your pairing is announced, you will have 70 minutes to complete your game. If this were a regular face-to-face tournament, I would obviously prefer to have everyone wait until I announce the start-time so that everyone has exactly the same amount of time. But since we’re on Vassal, I think the easiest and simplest way to do it is to start the time immediately, and give some extra time to set up. Since we’ll all be using Skype, there is no reason why the game has to take longer than 60 minutes. We’ll have 10 minutes to reveal squads, load a map, and pull out our pieces. If some people can get set up faster than 10 minutes, then they’ll have a few extra minutes to play.

We will be using a strict 3-2 scoring system: it will be “200 or 2.” No exceptions, UNLESS you have contacted me beforehand during the match because your opponent was slow-playing, in which case I’ll examine each situation as it comes. Once I call time (that is, by saying so in the game chat or via PM to one of the players), those who are still playing can finish their round and then report their results. If you come prepared to play quickly (but not foolishly) and finish your games under the time limit, you'll have a better chance of doing well.

This post will be the main information-gathering thread for the Vassal Regional. Any updates will be edited into this post, so check back here often for the most updated information.

Post subject: Re: Vassal Regional 2013
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

1. thereisnotry
2. swinefeld
3. hinkbert
4. kezzamachine
5. fingersandteeth
6. Haywire
7. spryguy1981
8. Minitank HT
9. shmi15
10. DrDaman
Bold = information received

At this point, the list above includes people who have indicated that they would like to play, assuming things work out. Please don't take this list as the finalized list of who is playing.

You can sign up on the Bloomilk thread too:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=128738&#128738
As the tournament date draws closer I'll start adding the players who sign up on that thread into this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wow, someone we can trust running this thing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We had such a (embarrassingly) low turn-out for this last year and it really blew my mind. (Granted I think a lot of that was due to other factors I won't bring up, but Trevor came in valiantly to rescue it)

This SHOULD be the biggest Regional. Nobody has to travel. You can do it in your underwwear. It's FREE!!!

I could not do it last year because it was scheduled on a Saturday late in the day. If we either do it earlier (I have to be at work by 3:30pm central), or on a SUNDAY, then I could do it.

Sunday? Sunday? How dare I suggest something so outrageous!

Well, we got 5 people on a Saturday last year - so it can only go up from there.

Because of the aforementioned lack of travel, this regional might be the one and only regional that could realistically be done on a Sunday. We could do it mid afternoon, after most church going folks are done with that for the day.

Anyway - I thought I'd suggest it. Obviously I don't want it simply planned around me. But MOST minis players have off BOTH Saturday and Sunday from work, and I dare say I am not the ONLY minis player that might have a Saturday conflict. :)

In the end - whatever gets the most numbers should happen. +1 for Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:13 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'd like to play in this, but I'm really only available Saturday afternoons. If it starts at 1 PM CST on Saturday like last year I could probably do it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I would like to play, whenever it is, subject to my being available in general.
I don't think my social planner has booked anything that far off yet. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'm not opposed to starting on Sunday afternoon. However, for the NZ guys that would be Monday morning, which might lead to conflicts with people having to work.

But let's entertain the possibility of a Sunday at 1:00 pm EDT, and see if it would allow for more players to participate. Regardless, it's going to be in July, and as early as possible in July. I'd like to hear what other people think of doing this on a Sunday rather than a Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:14 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Ok Tim.....you didn't even know if you could play. At the time I was working on Sundays. Most the time we didn't do Sunday tournaments because of bill, tint,Joel,joruus and me. Everyone but Phil had to work on Sundays.

I really could care less just know that when my heart was in this game I did a lot for it.

Back then it was all about me and I am sorry. I am sorry for that but I did do a little for this game than your giving me credit for lol.

It's in the past let's just move on.

I am even willing to play since v5 will be out gungans.......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jonnyb815 wrote:
Ok Tim.....you didn't even know if you could play. At the time I was working on Sundays. Most the time we didn't do Sunday tournaments because of bill, tint,Joel,joruus and me. Everyone but Phil had to work on Sundays.

I really could care less just know that when my heart was in this game I did a lot for it.

Back then it was all about me and I am sorry. I am sorry for that but I did do a little for this game than your giving me credit for lol.

It's in the past let's just move on.

I am even willing to play since v5 will be out gungans.......

Jonny I didn't bring you up specifically at all. I certainly didn't state that you have done nothing for the community.

As far as Sat vs Sunday - I think you misinterpreted - I did not mean that it had low numbers simply because it was on a Saturday and a Sunday would have been better. I honestly don't know, but I thought I would at least suggest it. I really feel like there is a strange (at least to me) bias AGAINST Sundays, especially in our community. I've actually heard from many people in the past that they don't have a specific conflict on Sundays, they just don't like doing things on Sundays. ??? It's as weird to me as Michigan's insistence on starting tournaments very early in the morning despite being right next to the central time zone where it is 1 hour earlier and people have to travel from. That is a case where they are just afraid of the bruisers from Chicago. :b

Anyway - I am baffled why last year had SUCH low numbers - but to be frank I think the last minute cancelation attempt and then rescue lost a lot of people. Even then it should have had more.

I do trust Trevor to run it well. That is simply a fact. He is proactive, organized, and won't flake on us.

Regardless, you had a very defensive reply when I had not even mentioned you. Feeling guilty much?

Anyway - that is not what this thread is about, and I don't want to hijack it.

I will restate what I said earlier - whatever gets the best numbers we should do. Even if that means I'm out. This SHOULD be the biggest regional. Period.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm definitely going to be in on this regional again. I thought the Vassal Regional turned out great last year. We got 4 rounds in and we had some good support from the New Zealand players. I think Saturday would be best if we wanted to get the most people, cause the New Zealand players made up more than half the players in the regional last year, and I'm sure more could come to this years regional if they get enough advance notice. I had a ton of fun playing last year in this. This is the only regional I get to attend since we don't have them in Minnesota anymore, but hopefully in the future we will again.

Anyways, put me down for being in this. Thanks for putting this on Trevor, and for judging it.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm in. Saturday afternoons are better for me than Sundays are.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Thanks guys, for your support of my leadership in this event. I certainly would like to see the Vassal Regional be the biggest of them all!

If that does end up being the case then I'd definitely like to have at least 1 more judge (preferably 2) available. We can work those things out a few months from now though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:50 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Since it's July and not June, I'm in. I am trusting the new wife will let me play haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I'm in. It's too far ahead to really say what day would be better, but either day of the week should work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:46 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Keen - load me up.

Of course, this is dependant on it not being Monday morning.

Oh - and we had 6 at last years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i would like to get involved in this so sign me up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Dr. Zuckuss wants to play sign me up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Attendance List updated to here.

So far we've got 11 people! That's pretty amazing, considering that the event is still more than 5 days months away. I hope to finalize the Date and Time soon, and I'll update the first post when I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:

So far we've got 11 people! That's pretty amazing, considering that the event is still more than 5 days away. I hope to finalize the Date and Time soon, and I'll update the first post when I do.

...MUCH more than 5 days away, right?

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:47 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Echo wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

So far we've got 11 people! That's pretty amazing, considering that the event is still more than 5 days away. I hope to finalize the Date and Time soon, and I'll update the first post when I do.

...MUCH more than 5 days away, right?

:lol: Yeah, it's been a long week.... MONTHS. Months, Daniel! :P

[fixed]