Mark forums read

Post subject: MI Regional April 6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

MI Regional
Entry Fee :$15
When: Saturday April 6
What: 200 pt constructed, Map list A (Bespin, Night Club, Peaceful City, Theed Palace, Off World Shipping Center, Off World Cargo Docks)
Time: Registration at 10AM, tournament starts at 11AM
Prizes: Gencon Badge to the winner, Eric Larson trophies for top 4, other prizes for other finishers

Post subject: Re: MI Regional April 6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:37 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

My eyes are on this one as a travel destination this year for a regional, just need to raise the $$$ to fly lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Just a quick note.

V-set 5 will be legal for this event.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Didn't get nearly enough time to Playtests any squads but I did finalize my squad and I think it could do well. But even if it doesn't my goal is to be the highest placer of the people running (a certain specific character), and I think we'll see a few.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

sthlrd2 wrote:
Didn't get nearly enough time to Playtests any squads but I did finalize my squad and I think it could do well. But even if it doesn't my goal is to be the highest placer of the people running (a certain specific character), and I think we'll see a few.

Ditto all this.

Except for the "I think we'll see a few"

Oh - and my character is "Ewok"

Brought in through Lobot

Still want to be the highest finisher that plays an Ewok!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:24 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You better be ready for some Skiff with gonk droids and a shooter !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:10 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

I am ready Mike!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 pm 
Queen Mother Honey Badger

Tomorrow's the big day! Looking forward to seeing everyone then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We're in MI about 45min from Eric's.

See a lot of you soon! Can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

This thing tips off in a couple of hours.

Good luck to everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 pm 

Updating on my phone , so trying to be brief.

Due to a transportation mishap involving the guys from TN (I believe everyone's fine, although the same cannot be said for the car), we had a slightly lower turnout than expected, at 14. However, Gerry from WNY surprised us all by showing up despite repeatedly saying he wouldn't make it. The top four, in final order, were:

Jason K. (threepeating with Echani Handmaidens)
Gerry Russell (Naboo Pilots)
Jake K (Caedus, GARY, Jaq)
Eric Larson (Saba and Training Droids)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I'll post some squad lists and a play report tomorrow. Way too tired after gaming all day then watching basketball all night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Made it back safe and sound in 4h 45m, although there were a couple of close calls with the O.P.P. while the TINWEZL's hyperdrive was engaged. ;)

Thanks to the MI crew for a great day and as always a well orchestrated event. Grats to Jason on the three-peat!

Certainly I wish the dice rolls gone a bit better in our match Urb but demms da breaks mon. Classic probability curve breaker there to be sure. Learned several valuable tings at this event, most notably how effective the living Seps as a team are, how to use Luke GH in future and what a pain in da a$$ Mando the Lesser is with SF. Will post a play report later on, as I too still have to get caught on some overdue housekeeping.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Great time everyone. Had a blast seeing everyone again.
I will write up a play report when I have more time but I ran
Caedus SL
Atton
GA special guards x2
GARY
Lobot
Czerka
Sith recruit x2
Brute x2
Mice x2
13 activations + lobot.

I got a cool trophy for squad award by having the squad with the most factions. I had 5 (sith, OR, NR, fringe, and imperial).

As a side note, we didn't play a top 4, and while I feel that friendship and ensuring their saftey is more important than minis and that we made the right choice, I can't help but feel a little torn as the more I think about, I think I could have done well in the final 4 showdown. As it is I'm happy with a 3rd and hope I showed people the power and the real way to run Caedus (IMO, of course).

The highlight and move of the tourney for me was using SBM to kill R2, Zam, and 1-2 gungan artillerist by moving them into a pit. For sure the move that won me the match as I couldn't expose myself to those kind of double cesta power. It swung the match in my favor, and I learned a lot from that match and that map.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

6th out of 14 with 6 points. Played Republic with: 9 Gungan Artillerists, Boss Nass, Amidala (for mobile), R2 Astro, Tarpals, Zam Wessel, R7, and 2 Ugnaughts. It actually was money. Lost a close, close game to Engineer like 132 to 107, one I thought I would win...a few more misses on his Cesta rolls and it might have been different. Lost to Jake as I did not understand what Caedus' ability could do and let him pull Wessel and R2 astro into a pit and failed the save rolls. Will not fall for that again and think I could have won that game as well as it switched momentum drastically. Either way, think the Gungans are money and next time I might drop Zam and make it 14 Artillerists, Boss, Amidala, R2, R7 and 2 ugnaughts...it is nerve racking for people to have to worry about so many angles to watch out for. Was a nice time as always and glad to see everyone again, thanks to the Michigan group for a nice time and sorry for Bronson's vehicle mishap costing him a chance to play with everyone. Hope to see people in Chicago in May.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

sthlrd2 wrote:
As a side note, we didn't play a top 4, and while I feel that friendship and ensuring their saftey is more important than minis and that we made the right choice, I can't help but feel a little torn as the more I think about, I think I could have done well in the final 4 showdown.

Jake, I agree wholehearted on both of your points here; firstly the three hours of daylight driving home were essential for me. Secondly I too felt very confident in my chances of bringing home the victory and can't help but feel the lack of the top four playoff does seem a bit incomplete in my mind. However, I do feel that the wise and prudent choice was made by the consensus of the top four.

For S&G's we could always do the playoff as the Friday Nite Follies before the WNY Regional, as I do believe the four principles will be in attendance? ;)

I had a great time seeing everyone again and yes it was even a surprise to me that I was able to make out to MI and back the same day. Terrible news and misfortune that the TN crew ran into car trouble hope they made it back safe and sound!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

My squad...

R.N.A.F.

Mon Mothma
Yularen
Panaka of Theed
Klat Capt
Queen Amidala
Doombot
Naboo Pilot x6
Mas Amedda
R7
Naboo Trooper x3
Spaarti DCT
Rodian Dippy

Map choice... Theed Palace

Went 3-1 with nine points and was very pleased with how it fared.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sincerely glad you made it home safe Gerry.

The Chicago Regional will be run differently.

It is a regional. Finals will be played. If someone needs to go early, we wish them the best and the next player in line bumps up to play. It's unfair to the other players still having a chance to compete to just end it (even if they reluctantly agree to it because they don't want someone to die). This should be a judges move to make, so the unfair-no-matter-what decision doesn't have to be made by a player.

Not criticizing the judges at MI. It all happened so fast it wasn't clear what should have happened until later. But it's a good example of why we need a plan at future regionals if this happens again.

Had a lot of fun that day, playing a new squad I had only run once. I was a brain fart away from making the top 4 with Vong - so I can hold my head up high for playing something completely different. Props to Jake and Eric for making the top 4 with compeletly new and creative squad builds.

PS - Quorreal is awesome. I hadn't realized how good he really is until I beat a triple basilisk squad with Vong warriors mainly due to him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Jason Kiernan
Maxed out Maidens (PEaceful City)
Thrawn, Atris, 3x Echanis, Jabba CL, Mas, Veers, R7, ugo, 2x rodians

Troy Kuzma
Kyle BM
Luke, GH
Dash
Jag
Ganner
Dodonna
7x uggie

Jerrod Franke
Nightclub Crusaders (Nightclub)
Han GH
IG88A
IG99 Assassin
Ganner
Dodonna
4x mouse
3x uggie

John (Theed)
Yammosk
Advance Agent Officer
Chazrach
Shaper
2x Zonoma Sekot Scout
7x Yun Yamka Fanatics

Laura Kiernan
The great and powerful Ossus (Bespin)
Nei Rin
Yammosk
3x Ossus Guardians
yun yamka fanatic
Dr E
Advance Agent Officer
2x Ossus Protector
3x uggies
Zonoma Sekot Scout

Mike Giles
Double the Trouble (Transport Center)
9x gungan artillerists
2x uggies
R2 Astro
Queen Amidala
Zam BH
Boss Nass (tarpals as reinforcements)
R7

Bryan Hole
stang Barrage
Dessel
MAndalore the Lesser
Kelborn
Mando Protector x 2
Mando Gunsmith x2
Mando tech
Holosid

Randy Barker
Ride of the Mandos (peaceful city)
Mandalore on Basilisk
2x Basilisk War Droid
Rohlyn Dyre
2x R7
3x uggies

Lou Vasilion (Theed)
Cad BH
Aurra Assassin
Grievous HoH
Hondo Ohnaka
Lobot
Figrin Dan
San Hill

Eric Larson
Saba Sebatyne
HK
6x jedi training droids
Gha
Dodonna
2x R7
mice
1x uggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

--We Are Warriors!--
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Nei Rin
27 Lobot
20 Yuuzhan Vong Hunter on Quednak
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
11 Advance Agent, Officer
22 Yuuzhan Vong High-bred Warrior x2

(200pts. 10 activations)

I feel like I let this squad down, since it should have made the top four but my bad play prevented it. I beat Jake for a 2pt nail-biter in round 1, lost to Lou and his Cad Bane BH furious assault madness in round 2, beat Randy and his triple Basilisks in round 3, and lost a close one to Jason K in the final round of Swiss. I had only played the squad once and it showed. I really understand how to play it better now, but there are so many other things I want to play so it may be moot.

This squad is deceptive because it looks like you only have two 40hp warriors and a quednak that really are your damage dealers.. Quorreal is worth his weight in gold due to his Loyal Followers ability that gives aggressive negotiations and rapport 1 to his reinforcements. I usually brought 2 high-bred warriors and ignored his CE. (You can usually steal act control with the Yammosk if you need it, so the hard to pull off situational act control wasn't worth it). The High-breds double twin for 160 damage each when everything is popping (shaper, cunning, scarification), and Nei Rin's +4 defene vs non-adjacent and her CE helped them make it to the fight. Then everyone can run double speed and attack, which is amazing with the quednak. Aggressive negotiations is the key though. You can really get right up in someone's grill and wait for the big 120/160 double twin.

In the final match vs Jason my brain fell out of my head as I made mistake after mistake. I stole his swap and brought a swoop to get my quednak in deep, but then I made the first round idiot mistake of activating the yammosk first. (I'd been doing it all day since my other three matches didn't have a CE to steal or in one match I took San Hill's, which didn't matter when you activated the yammsok.) After 2 more phases Jason then pointed out that I wasn't swapping this round, which probably saved one of his three echani. Then I brought the swoop up into LOS for some reason thinking it was safe due to Aggressive Negotiations (wrong reinforcement, stupid Tim), and then Jason rolled a 1 on init and I let him go first thinking I was safe. Not only was that stupid because I lose the swoop, but I also could have killed his echani with cunning twin charging fire from a warrior. That's 3 huge game altering mistakes leaving him with 3 echani instead of 1, and we were just beginning round 2. I then move up the quednak, carefully counting out 20 square to kill a grunt, galloping attack AND regular attack his Echani (charging fire), and end in cover. But Jason said that I didn't declare charging at the beginning of the turn so I lost the regular attack, thus not killing his Echani. My Quednak then dies. That could have been all 3 of his echanis for those keeping track. Then I line up my 2 aggressive negotiations warriors by the door, and line up a Gran behind them thinking there was no LOS to them without also seeing the Gran so they would be safe. I was one square off, and Jason gets LoS on just the warriors and so his Echani smokes them. Ughh I was playing bad. I was able to kill that echani, trading a warrior for her. The game was well in hand for him by this point, and he starts to play a little loose. He made a mistake and didn't know I hadn't used my last warrior, and I was able to kill his last echani - but by that point it didn't matter. Time was nearly up and he easily killed my warrior with his atris with opportunist. I ran my many support pieces in in a futile attempt, just to get slaughtered. The game ended fairly close, but I played it so poorly that it should have never happened like that.

All that being said - I really think it's a good squad. I think it should have had a better showing (mainly due to the last Swiss round), but I would encourage others to try it out.