logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm
Posts: 2525
Location: Anderson, SC
swinefeld wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Is there a pure Fringe squad that can win?

IMHO, any Fringe squad can be improved by mixing in one of the cheap-and-powerful tech pieces from one of the main factions:
<snip>
Therefore, I don't think we should expect a Fringe-only squad to win a Regional, since the competition is so fierce and you need every edge you can possibly get if you hope to win.


True. Fringe options are looking better with Scum, but still...

Kinda funny how you need fringe tech to round out a main faction squad, and the reverse is also true. :)


The closet Fringe only squad I can think of would probably be something built around Xizor. Xizor/NBSV/Cad Bane is fun. But you can make it much better just by tossing in r2 and Mas.

_________________
Bald is beautiful.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 3599
Location: New Jersey
Weeks wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Is there a pure Fringe squad that can win?

IMHO, any Fringe squad can be improved by mixing in one of the cheap-and-powerful tech pieces from one of the main factions:
<snip>
Therefore, I don't think we should expect a Fringe-only squad to win a Regional, since the competition is so fierce and you need every edge you can possibly get if you hope to win.


True. Fringe options are looking better with Scum, but still...

Kinda funny how you need fringe tech to round out a main faction squad, and the reverse is also true. :)


The closet Fringe only squad I can think of would probably be something built around Xizor. Xizor/NBSV/Cad Bane is fun. But you can make it much better just by tossing in r2 and Mas.

Exactly. That was the Fringe squad I was thinking about too. Even a Rodian Diplomat wouldn't be a horrible choice there, since the squad is so shooter-heavy.

Heck, you might as well throw in Mace too! j/k :lol:

_________________
"Don't give the tool more credit than the master." --Weeks
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:10 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
So the pendulum swung all the way to one side, back, then there again.

Low activations, High activations, Low again.

Sith are a part of the discussion for real now.

Congrats to the V-set designers. You have succeeded, any faction can win a regional, many MANY squads can compete, no one squad build type is dominant.

Tough to deal with when trying to figure it all out, but best for the game methinks.

13/16 2012 Regionals completed.

Imperials 3 (3 fairly different squads)
Sith 2 (same squad)
Republic 2 (very close to the same squad)
Sep 2 (single lancer, double lancer)
Vong 1
OR 1
Reb 1
Mando 1

Tim B 3 (Vong, Imp, Sith)
Graham B 2 (OR, Sep)
Jason K 2 (Imp, Rebel)
Josh H 2 (both Rep)
Matt S 1 (Imp)
David W 1 (Sith)
Han T 1 (Mando)
Joey K 1 (Sep)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 am
Posts: 282
Location: swming in the 716.
An excellent summation Tim, it will be interesting to see if the NR can bring home a victory before time is called.

_________________
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:58 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 8394
TimmerB123 wrote:
So the pendulum swung all the way to one side, back, then there again.


There and back again... a designer's tale. :P

_________________
Click here to check out all the people who have realized the truth. Someday you will, too.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
DarphNader wrote:
An excellent summation Tim, it will be interesting to see if the NR can bring home a victory before time is called.


Not if anything to say about I have.

No more hints on my last regional squad.

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:22 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 am
Posts: 282
Location: swming in the 716.
sthlrd2 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
An excellent summation Tim, it will be interesting to see if the NR can bring home a victory before time is called.


Not if anything to say about I have.

No more hints on my last regional squad.


Bring the heat Jake!

_________________
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Danville IL
DarphNader wrote:
sthlrd2 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
An excellent summation Tim, it will be interesting to see if the NR can bring home a victory before time is called.


Not if anything to say about I have.

No more hints on my last regional squad.


Bring the heat Jake!


Hey now are you going to be in Danville to take this heat that he is going to be bringing?? I want to win one of these things after going 4 this season so I keep telling him to bring a pile of crap and test his skills.. Odds are he'd still whoop my butt :D

_________________
Winning a tournament always allows doing whatever is within the rules to win. - Billiv15


[===0=]=============>


Sentinel for Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 am
Posts: 282
Location: swming in the 716.
audrisampson wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
sthlrd2 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
An excellent summation Tim, it will be interesting to see if the NR can bring home a victory before time is called.


Not if anything to say about I have.

No more hints on my last regional squad.


Bring the heat Jake!


Hey now are you going to be in Danville to take this heat that he is going to be bringing?? I want to win one of these things after going 4 this season so I keep telling him to bring a pile of crap and test his skills.. Odds are he'd still whoop my butt :D


:lol:

Alas no, I will be unable to attend but make sure you put my KKJBM to good use. ;)

BTW... I know what you mean, getting to two finals myself this regional season and not winning is tough but nonetheless encouraging. My encounters thus far with Jake have been epically absurd!

However of greater importance is that my international assignment has been postponed and therefore I'll be attending the GenCon festivities.

_________________
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:10 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 3599
Location: New Jersey
DarphNader wrote:
However of greater importance is that my international assignment has been postponed and therefore I'll be attending the GenCon festivities.

W00T!!!

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.... :emperor:

_________________
"Don't give the tool more credit than the master." --Weeks
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Danville IL
DarphNader wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
sthlrd2 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
An excellent summation Tim, it will be interesting to see if the NR can bring home a victory before time is called.


Not if anything to say about I have.

No more hints on my last regional squad.


Bring the heat Jake!


Hey now are you going to be in Danville to take this heat that he is going to be bringing?? I want to win one of these things after going 4 this season so I keep telling him to bring a pile of crap and test his skills.. Odds are he'd still whoop my butt :D


:lol:

Alas no, I will be unable to attend but make sure you put my KKJBM to good use. ;)

BTW... I know what you mean, getting to two finals myself this regional season and not winning is tough but nonetheless encouraging. My encounters thus far with Jake have been epically absurd!

However of greater importance is that my international assignment has been postponed and therefore I'll be attending the GenCon festivities.


Thats great to hear! I've been wanting a match with ya since we met in Lansing.

_________________
Winning a tournament always allows doing whatever is within the rules to win. - Billiv15


[===0=]=============>


Sentinel for Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 am
Posts: 282
Location: swming in the 716.
Well we shall see what the GambleTron 8000 has to say about the pairings. It certainly would be fun to clash with you, now to work on deciding on the squad. As this particular string has indicated, the Meta is wide open.

_________________
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 am
Posts: 134
Location: E-Town PA
So here's my question/observation. Do we usually see power house pieces emerge from the previous set, while the most recent set tends to just lend support? There have been plenty of squads that have done well using V-set 2 pieces as their main damage dealers, but V-set 3 has mainly provided support. Sure there have been exceptions, Sithborg using Marka, the few squads we've seen using Corran, even most recently the squad with Galen, but for the most part the most popular V-set 3 pieces have been Foul, Tyber (who kinda does both, supports and attacks), guys from Cantina Brawl and the are more support or tech based.

_________________
"Anything worth killing is worth over-killing" - Darph Nader


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
hinkbert wrote:
So here's my question/observation. Do we usually see power house pieces emerge from the previous set, while the most recent set tends to just lend support? There have been plenty of squads that have done well using V-set 2 pieces as their main damage dealers, but V-set 3 has mainly provided support. Sure there have been exceptions, Sithborg using Marka, the few squads we've seen using Corran, even most recently the squad with Galen, but for the most part the most popular V-set 3 pieces have been Foul, Tyber (who kinda does both, supports and attacks), guys from Cantina Brawl and the are more support or tech based.


I think it was just how the last set was, more support heavy. Maybe some powerhouse squad will rise to the top based on it just needing more time to be discovered, but I just think it's more the fact that it was just how that set turned out. Also - with every set more things can help a power squad rise. Foul helped Mace rise up. I'm sure Markos Ghost will make him better. You get the point.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:27 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 am
Posts: 134
Location: E-Town PA
TimmerB123 wrote:
hinkbert wrote:
So here's my question/observation. Do we usually see power house pieces emerge from the previous set, while the most recent set tends to just lend support? There have been plenty of squads that have done well using V-set 2 pieces as their main damage dealers, but V-set 3 has mainly provided support. Sure there have been exceptions, Sithborg using Marka, the few squads we've seen using Corran, even most recently the squad with Galen, but for the most part the most popular V-set 3 pieces have been Foul, Tyber (who kinda does both, supports and attacks), guys from Cantina Brawl and the are more support or tech based.


I think it was just how the last set was, more support heavy. Maybe some powerhouse squad will rise to the top based on it just needing more time to be discovered, but I just think it's more the fact that it was just how that set turned out. Also - with every set more things can help a power squad rise. Foul helped Mace rise up. I'm sure Markos Ghost will make him better. You get the point.


That's definitely true (in terms of V-set 3 just being more support oriented). But I was also thinking (and the regionals this year have shown this) the V-sets continue to make all factions competitive, and this is the first time that's every really happened for a regional season. So it makes sense that strong pieces from V-set 2 (since it's been around a little longer) would emerge this regional season, since people are thoroughly familiar with them and know how to use them.

_________________
"Anything worth killing is worth over-killing" - Darph Nader


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:01 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:07 pm
Posts: 159
DarphNader wrote:
Well we shall see what the GambleTron 8000 has to say about the pairings. It certainly would be fun to clash with you, now to work on deciding on the squad. As this particular string has indicated, the Meta is wide open.


just as long as ponies are involved :lol:

_________________
Life!? Don't talk to me about life!
Loathe it, or ignore it.
You can't like it.-Marvin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:28 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Danville IL
RaginRancor wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
Well we shall see what the GambleTron 8000 has to say about the pairings. It certainly would be fun to clash with you, now to work on deciding on the squad. As this particular string has indicated, the Meta is wide open.


just as long as ponies are involved :lol:


If Im there, there will always be Ponies involved.

_________________
Winning a tournament always allows doing whatever is within the rules to win. - Billiv15


[===0=]=============>


Sentinel for Life!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:17 am
Posts: 2931
DarphNader wrote:
Well we shall see what the GambleTron 8000 has to say about the pairings. It certainly would be fun to clash with you, now to work on deciding on the squad. As this particular string has indicated, the Meta is wide open.


Does this mean your going to Danville regional? Or are you specifically talking Gen Con?

_________________
"But one thing I have learned in this process is that flavor can't override the good of the game."
-urbanshmi2-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:27 am
Posts: 282
Location: swming in the 716.
sthlrd2 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:
Well we shall see what the GambleTron 8000 has to say about the pairings. It certainly would be fun to clash with you, now to work on deciding on the squad. As this particular string has indicated, the Meta is wide open.


Does this mean your going to Danville regional? Or are you specifically talking Gen Con?


Jake I was referring to GenCon, as I'll be on BT that weekend.

_________________
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss three bucks goodbye...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm
Posts: 186
hinkbert wrote:
So here's my question/observation. Do we usually see power house pieces emerge from the previous set, while the most recent set tends to just lend support? There have been plenty of squads that have done well using V-set 2 pieces as their main damage dealers, but V-set 3 has mainly provided support. Sure there have been exceptions, Sithborg using Marka, the few squads we've seen using Corran, even most recently the squad with Galen, but for the most part the most popular V-set 3 pieces have been Foul, Tyber (who kinda does both, supports and attacks), guys from Cantina Brawl and the are more support or tech based.


Well, I finished 2nd at Charlotte with a Nomi Sunrider squad. She is also a weird tweener piece, sort of a crappy beatstick but with random kind of good tech sprinkled on top. I was pleasantly surprised at how good Force Pull 2 was, and very disappointed at the borderline uselessness of her CE and the practical impossibility of using Force Light.

I'm sorry, in case you missed that I FINISHED SECOND AT A REGIONAL WITH NOMI FREAKIN SUNRIDER. And Bossk, Trandoshan Mercenary, of all pieces.

Tim Ballard, I challenge you to play Nomi Sunrider at a regional this year. If you can win with that, Daniel and I will carry you around Indy on a palanquin during Gencon.

_________________
Image
GMB from ATL


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield