logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I ALMOST did FoulBuck just to see how it might play out, but second guessed myself, as always. From now on, I go with my gut instincts, regardless of anything!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dvader831 wrote:
I ALMOST did FoulBuck just to see how it might play out, but second guessed myself, as always. From now on, I go with my gut instincts, regardless of anything!

Instead, you brought what won the Atlanta regionals. How'd that work out for you? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:11 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:

Instead, you brought what won the Atlanta regionals. How'd that work out for you? ;)

You mean Owensboro. It was a slight variation at that. Atlanta regional is may 19th.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:48 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Yeah, I think that's the thing: with Yobuck no longer being Tier 1 (see my post earlier in this thread), squads like this can really thrive again. If this squad does become more popular (as your Regional Winning squads often do, Tim), then perhaps we'll see more of Yobuck at Gencon again. It's a funny thing, this meta analysis.

However, I would not likely bring Yobuck anyway, since it has a couple of excellent matchups but many more difficult matchups.

Totally disagree. Yodabuck is top tier. Yodabuck will make the GenCon top 8.

It's insane nobody's played him. He's Soooo good.

I have to side with Trevor on this - and that's as someone who got into the top 8 with Yobuck before. If more people start playing bombs and various swarms (rebel pilots or somesuch), then it'll come back, but for weeks now I have been trying to run it and finding very little success against the Atlanta meta. Modern squads have such high damage output, and such high damage attacks, that a lot of the time I can't really get a good gallop without taking way too much damage back. Part of it is probably just me needing to retrain myself how to play against beefier squads, but I feel as though the whole concept is kind of stuck in a cul-de-sac.

If people start moving back towards strategies based on outactivating, it'll come right back. But as long as people are playing smaller, more concentrated squads, it suffers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Yeah, I think that's the thing: with Yobuck no longer being Tier 1 (see my post earlier in this thread), squads like this can really thrive again. If this squad does become more popular (as your Regional Winning squads often do, Tim), then perhaps we'll see more of Yobuck at Gencon again. It's a funny thing, this meta analysis.

However, I would not likely bring Yobuck anyway, since it has a couple of excellent matchups but many more difficult matchups.

Totally disagree. Yodabuck is top tier. Yodabuck will make the GenCon top 8.

It's insane nobody's played him. He's Soooo good.

Yes, he IS soooo good...vs lots of low-HP enemy pieces. What I found out a number of times, though, is that if Yobuck can't make actual kills on his turn, he's too weak to compete. He'll take damage from AoOs, which will add up...but he'll be attacking (and not killing) different pieces every time. That means your opponent is doing concentrated damage on Yobuck, while he is spreading out damage vs the opponent's entire squad. Any well-experienced player will affirm the value of concentrating damage to make a kill, as opposed to randomly putting damage on difference pieces all at once; generally, whenever possible, it's best to eliminate a piece by focusing damage. If Yobuck can't kill scrubs on his turn, he ends up on the losing end of that equation.

One interesting concept might be to use Yobuck/R2/Panaka and a big beefy attacker (aka Mace), using Yobuck to transport Mace deep into enemy territory, where he can wreak havok. The thing is, Mace will be stuck down there with no support, and unless he goes on an amazing crit spree (and assuming that your opponent is foolish enough to group his pieces together), he's not going to do enough damage before he dies to be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
One interesting concept might be to use Yobuck/R2/Panaka and a big beefy attacker (aka Mace), using Yobuck to transport Mace deep into enemy territory, where he can wreak havoc.

This is exactly why he is so good. He's the fastest swap vehicle in the game, and beefy enough to take a few hits when need be. He can go in deep to kill that important commander, or shut off Bastilla. With Skyguy he can still throw 60dmg down on a beefy target from 16 away. PLUS he kills fodder. Ouch!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:50 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I actually have been running Yobuck ALOT down here lol and giving people fits with him. Hes such a jerk with skyguy backed by a clone on speeder all with momentum...plus foul and R2...gettin it in there alright.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Weeks wrote:
You mean Owensboro. It was a slight variation at that. Atlanta regional is may 19th.

Yes you're right. Wonder why on Earth I called it Atlanta. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

AcheronFate wrote:
I actually have been running Yobuck ALOT down here lol and giving people fits with him. Hes such a jerk with skyguy backed by a clone on speeder all with momentum...plus foul and R2...gettin it in there alright.

Just making sure - you do know that skyguys CE only kicks in when they END their movement, right? So the speeder and Yodabuck would not get momentum until they have stopped moving - ie only the end on the strafe/gallop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I dont see how that works..im adjacent through strafe by passing through them..it doesnt get anymore adjacent and the rule book said it and galloping attack says attacks adjacents as it moves...momentum says it gets it if they moved and are adjacent to an enemy...totally missing how that doesnt work...i mean i really think it does/should cuz of the way the cards are worded.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:06 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

The CE says:
Followers who end their move

You only get it once you've finished your movement for the turn. So Yobuck can run in doing 20s on everyone he passes, but he only gets the momentum bonus once he's finished moving.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:12 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

NO WHERE on Momentum does it say "ends their turn" it clearly says on Skyguy "Momentum-If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 attack and +10 damage against adjacent enemies"....Strafe can attack each enemy whose square it enters as it moves...adjacent...galloping attack can attack adjacent enemies as he moves...adjacent....skyguys ce "Followers who end their move within 6 squares of this character gain MOMENTUM" Mas opens that up...no matter where i stop im within six squares...hence gaining momentum...then apply momentums ability.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

AcheronFate wrote:
NO WHERE on Momentum does it say "ends their turn" it clearly says on Skyguy "Momentum-If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 attack and +10 damage against adjacent enemies"....Strafe can attack each enemy whose square it enters as it moves...adjacent...galloping attack can attack adjacent enemies as he moves...adjacent....skyguys ce "Followers who end their move within 6 squares of this character gain MOMENTUM" Mas opens that up...no matter where i stop im within six squares...hence gaining momentum...then apply momentums ability.

You don't gain Momentum until you end your move. Once you end the move, you gain it - so you can hit for 30 on anyone adjacent when you stop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

you GAIN momentum means you get it...momentums ability says when they move they get it...no when they stop...the way you are saying it is contradicting what the card says....if you stop within 6 you gain momentum and momentum says when you move you get it...im not seein how this doesnt work...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:26 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Quote:
Followers who end their move within 6 squares of this character gain Momentum.

It says end their move - so you don't gain the Commander Effect until you declare that you've finished all your movement for the turn.

Otherwise the Commander Effect would be worded something like "Followers within 6 squares of this character gain Momentum."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

the way that momentums ability is worded contradicts the way the ce is worded....its really obvious when you read it all...what you guys are sayin really is not making any sense with the way its worded lol im really not convinced at all...sorry but the way its all reading isnt coming off like you say it is...think ill go with whats on the card and the way the abilities are worded..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

AcheronFate wrote:
you GAIN momentum means you get it...momentums ability says when they move they get it...no when they stop...the way you are saying it is contradicting what the card says....if you stop within 6 you gain momentum and momentum says when you move you get it...im not seein how this doesnt work...

You don't gain the commander effect until you stop. You don't have momentum while you are running/flying along. Once you END your movement, then and only then do you gain momentum.

Momentum-If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 attack and +10 damage against adjacent enemies

So Did you move that turn? Yes. When are you eligible for the CE? When you END your movement.

It's really straightforward. It's just the words on the card. No weird ruling here, no need for the glossary or errata.

Many are confused by this because they don't realize that Skywalker's CE says END, but once they see that it does - they usually say, "Oh, I get it now." You are acknowledging that it says END, but you still don't seem to understand why it doesn't work. I don't understand what you aren't getting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:11 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Think of it like this. Say the ability to have momentum was gained when you began your move but did not happen until you reached 10 mph (for a runner). You would not get it until you reached that speed, you are eligible to receive it (when you start to run from a walk) but do not see it happen until the stated speed is reached. Think of 10 mph like the end of your turn for momentum in our game. It doesn't happen UNTIL your move ends.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:38 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It's pretty straight forward isn't it? The commander effect and Momentum don't contradict eachother in any way.

The commander effect says that "Followers who end their move within 6 squares of this character gain Momentum."
You haven't ended your move when you are in the middle of a Galloping Attack, and therefore you don't gain Momentum yet. You end your move when you have completed all the characters movement for that turn. Then, and only then, do you gain Momentum.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:14 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
AcheronFate wrote:
I dont see how that works..im adjacent through strafe by passing through them..it doesnt get anymore adjacent and the rule book said it and galloping attack says attacks adjacents as it moves...momentum says it gets it if they moved and are adjacent to an enemy...totally missing how that doesnt work...i mean i really think it does/should cuz of the way the cards are worded.

That really threw a wrench in your squad? You just have to be more selective about which character you want to put the Momentum damage on and play it that way.

From General Skywalkers card:

Commander Effect
Followers who end their move within 6 squares of this character gain Momentum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next