logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Vassal Regional July 14th
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I've now PM'ed my squad to Weeks, so the rest of you can start PM'ing your squads to me whenever you're ready. As long as I receive those PMs at least one hour before the tournament, you'll be good to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:52 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Trevor has sent me his squad and map.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I won't be able to play tomorrow. I stupidly double booked and will be playing minis irl. While I regret missing my chance to play some of the NZ guys, I'm glad that I'll be able to play with some of our newer players tomorrow.

Good luck to all and I'm hoping for an international final!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wish I had a computer to participate
Then I could turn all of Trevor's ewoks into rakgouls
But anyways, good luck everyone and have fun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:05 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The following people are signed up so far:

1. thereisnotry
2. OhMyGOWK
3. obikenobi1
4. dougplatypus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sure hope you got a good turnout. I never heard back on if you wanted me to be available to play if you had an odd number. Would have loved to play some Kiwis!

Good luck everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:16 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Good game everyone. Some crazy close games!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:20 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any results?
Did Tint and his army of ewoks win?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The 3 rounds of swiss are finished:

1. Trevor Payton (thereisnotry) 9pts. (3-0)
2. Tim Hight (Minitank HT) 6pts. (2-1)
3. David Miller (dougplatypus) 5pts. (2-1)
4. Oliver Simpson (OhMyGOWK) 3pts. (1-2)
5. Trevor Christensen (obikenobi1) 3pts. (1-2)
6. Christian Threet (DieAndBeMetal) 0pts. (0-3)

The SOS difference was extremely small between OhMyGOWK (0.8333) and Obikenobi1 (0.6666). I'll let Obi explain it to you when he does his writeup.

The 4 of us who made the playoffs agreed to take a 2 hour break before the playoff rounds so that Oliver could go to church. We'll be starting the first round of the playoffs in 15 minutes if anyone wants to come watch. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Squad listings for the Vassal Regional:
3 OR
1 NR
1 Sith
1 Republic

1. Trevor Payton (thereisnotry)
--This Party's Over--
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
33 Captain Rex
27 Lobot
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Rodian Diplomat
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 8 activations)
Cloud City

2. Tim Hight (Minitank HT)
62 Darth Revan Sith Lord
42 Dessel
36 Atton 'Jaq' Rand
27 Lobot
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
9 Mouse Droid x3
3 Rodian Brute
(199 pts, 11 activations)
Cloud City

3. David Miller (dougplatypus)
--Back to the Old Skool--
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
29 Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier
27 Jedi Battlemaster
27 Jedi Seer
27 Lobot
14 Old Republic Senator
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(199pts, 9 activations)
Jabba's Palace

4. Oliver Simpson (OhMyGOWK)
--Carth Jaqqers--
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
29 Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
18 Klatooinian Captain
14 Old Republic Senator
8 Wicket
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(199pts. 10 activations)
Map: Rancor Pit

5. Trevor Christensen (obikenobi1)
--Meatbag Annihilators--
43 IG-88, Assassin Droid
39 HK-47, Assassin Droid
29 Visas Marr
25 Guri
16 Juggernaut War Droid
12 Mouse Droid x4
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 11 activations)
Smuggler's Base

6. Christian Threet (DieAndBeMetal)
--Solo Round--
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
33 Jaden Korr
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
9 General Dodonna
(199pts. 8 activations)
Bothan Spynet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:50 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Results of the playoffs:

Semifinals:
--thereisnotry defeated OhMyGOWK
--dougplatypus defeated Minitank HT

Finals:
--1st place match: thereisnotry defeated dougplatypus
--3rd place match: OhMyGOWK defeated Minitank HT

Final tourney results:
1. Trevor Payton (thereisnotry) 15pts. (5-0)
2. David Miller (dougplatypus) 8pts. (3-2)
3. Oliver Simpson (OhMyGOWK) 6pts. (2-3)
4. Tim Hight (Minitank HT) 6pts. (2-3)
5. Trevor Christensen (obikenobi1) 3pts. (1-2)
6. Christian Threet (DieAndBeMetal) 0pts. (0-3)

It's worth noting that the 3 NZ players all made it to the Top 4. It was a really fun tournament! Thanks everyone for the great games. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yuss!

Couldn't represnt myself as my wife suggested I take a 'short break' from SWM due to the amount I've been doing recently... but uber proud of my boyees at #2,3 and 4! Congrats to TINT for his organisation and the win!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Congrats Trevor!!!

Any write ups, that finals match looked like a tough matchup for mace, Big guns with Bastilla and her abm.
Defenetly seems like a tough one for Mace.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:57 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Nice job TinT!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:59 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Big thanks to the V-Set 4 design team, who gave me two previews to share with you for the Vassal Regional:

SpecForce Technician
Cost 15 Points

HP 30
DEF 14
ATK 1
DAM 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack [Can attack only adjacent enemies]
Blaster Upgrade [Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 damage gain Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)]
Munitions Supplies [Replaces turn: Choose 1 adjacent ally to gain Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11) for the rest of the skirmish]
Rig Blaster [Allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks that deal exactly 10 damage gain Jolt (An enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11. Huge and larger characters ignore this effect.)]
Stealth [If this character has cover, it does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets]

"Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder."

Zam Wessel, Bounty Hunter
Cost 44

HP 90
DEF 19
ATK +11
DAM 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Double Attack
Bounty Hunter +4 [+4 Attack against Unique enemies]
Careful Shot +6 [On this character's turn, if she doesn't move, she gets +6 Attack]
Cloaked [If this character has cover, she cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies]
Final Shot [On this character's turn, if she doesn't move, she gets +30 Damage against enemies with 50 or fewer Hit Points remaining]
Missiles 30 [Replaces attacks: sight; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11]
Rigged Detonators [Characters in or adjacent to a square with low objects automatically fail saves against this character's attacks and abilities]
Single-Shot Blaster [This character cannot gain Twin Attack]
Sniper [Other characters do not provide cover against this character's attack]

"I hit the ship, but they used a decoy."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Finally, the Vassal Regional had arrived! I had been waiting for this day for months. There were about 3 or 4 Regionals in my area this year, but each one of them took place on a weekend when I was unable to attend…so I was bound and determined to make this one happen.

My squad:
--This Party's Over--
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
33 Captain Rex
27 Lobot
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Rodian Diplomat

(200pts. 8 activations)
Map: Cloud City

Round 1 vs DieAndBeMetal (Christian Threet), playing NR with Han, Mara, Jaden, Ganner.
I brought Dr. E and a Gran. I won the map roll (Cloud City) and DABM chose the bottom-left area of the map, while I set up in the top-right. In round 2 I towed Rex to shoot 4x at Han, amazingly hitting all 4, but Han only took 20dmg thanks to equally amazing evade saves. At the end of the round DABM levitated Jaden up to zap Obi, Rex, and R2. Han then shot my 40hp Rex twice, hitting both…but then I made my Avoid Defeat save (thanks Dr!). I won the next init and killed off Jaden with Mace, and then changed the game by moving Mace down to block the door adjacent to Ganner. Now he couldn’t levitate very easily (without provoking an aoo), and Mace had already activated so Han and Mara wouldn’t be doing much damage if they could even hit him. Obi came in and put some damage on Han. To start the next round, Mace went on a crit spree, critting Mara (absorbed her block) and killing off some other things. After that it was mostly cleanup. 3pts

Round 2 vs Tim Hight (Minitank HT), playing Revan, Dessel, Atton.
Dr E and a Gran for reinforcements again. We both had the same map and I lost the roll, so I set up on the left of Cloud City. He out-acted me by 4 or 5, so he was able to use Revan to drop Dessel into my area; he won init the next round and killed R2 with Blast Cannon, then ran away, hoping to save Dessel. However, I was able to track him down and put enough damage on him to drop him before he could do much more damage. Later when my whole squad was sitting in the center gambit room, Revan snuck Atton down under me to take out Lobot and Dr E, but he survived thanks to his Avoid Defeat saves. Bit by bit, I was whittling down Tim’s activations with Rex while GOWK and Mace gained FP and waited for an opening. Finally I got it and dropped Revan, with Atton falling shortly afterward. Mace’s Force Absorb is tremendously useful when you roll a crit…. 6pts

Round 3 vs Oliver Simpson (OhMyGOWK), playing Bastilla, Atton, Carth, Dash, Senator, and Klat Capt.
Momaw Nadon and Salacious Crumb. He won the map roll, so we played on Rancor pit and I set up in the cage on the left side of the map. In the first round Rex jumped up and popped 2 of Oliver’s activations. However, later on in the round I had a brain fart and moved GOWK into gambit while forgetting that he was screening R2 from fire. Oliver jumped on this and used Carth (running 16) and the Senator to kill R2. This didn’t look good at all, because now I had no delivery system for Momaw, and Rex would be in serious trouble vs his shooters’ high mobility. I won the next init and popped 2 more activations with Rex and placed him in a safer location. ABM was active at this point, so Oliver pressed the attack against Mace, reducing him to 40hp and stripping him of all his fp. I won the next init so I used Mace’s last breath to run up and kill Carth (at 20hp) and the Klat Capt (so Rex could now be of use against Atton). However, at this point Oliver’s dice failed him royally. Between the end of the one round and the middle of the next, Atton must’ve had 4 or even 5 chances to kill Mace needing a 9, but failed them all. GOWK and Rex made sure that Atton didn’t live long enough to try again, and then it was just Dash and Bastilla, and it went pretty quickly after that. Because I lost R2 early to such a dumb mistake, this was probably my hardest match all day. If Oliver could’ve had the dice with Atton he might’ve won it. 9pts

At this point, the Swiss rounds were over. OhMyGOWK was on his way to church, and so the other 3 players who were in the playoffs decided together that we’d be happy to wait 2 hours before starting the semifinal matches.

Semifinals vs Oliver Simpson again.
Same map roll, same reinforcements for me, but no dumb R2 mistake this time. I was able to kill off his Senator with Rex on a tricky LOS in the 2nd or 3rd round, which eliminated some of the crazy deep-strike options that Oliver was able to use in the game before. There was a particularly significant point in the game where Oliver won init and ran Carth 8 squares (past 2 Ugs) to base and kill Rex, needing 3s…he rolled a hit and a 2. Rex then killed Carth and survived the game to put out a bunch more damage as the game progressed. If it had worked, I would’ve been at a severe disadvantage. But as it was, I was able to kill off Atton and Dash and then Bastilla, losing only R2 and some fodder. Momaw made the final kills by using War Throat at the end of one round and the beginning of the next. Mace lived to the end with 40hp. 12pts (not like points mattered anymore in the playoffs)

Finals vs David Miller (dougplatypus), playing Bastilla, Atton, Carth, Battlemaster, Seer, Senator.
Evazan and Gran again…they’re so useful. I won the map roll so we played on Cloud City, and David let me set up first so I chose the left. I had learned in the past games to be especially careful vs OR shooters who do 40dmg per shot. I used Rex sneakily to kill off some activations (including the Senator) in the first few rounds, while Mace and GOWK played hard-to-hit and slowly advanced. Eventually the time came to strike: I towed Mace in to attack Wicket (crucial) and the Seer with my 3 attacks (missed the Jedi Ref attack, and Mace Absorbed the fprr). I got a crit/flurry when attacking the unactivated Seer, which was significant, because that was up to 60dmg that Mace didn’t have to contend with on the return attack. Obi then moved into position for the next round (always think ahead!). Things were now positioned so that if I won init Obi would be able to push 5 of David’s guys (it would hit Mace too, but he’s a big boy). I did win the init, so I killed 2 mice and put 30dmg on the Battlemaster and Carth and Atton; I pushed Atton into the pit just outside of gambit, and he failed the first pit save but made it on the fprr, and the Battlemaster made his save too. David responded with a good move by using Carth to move 8 and get no-cover shots on my un-activated Mace; then he rolled a crit (60dmg!) but I made the Reflect save and he missed his twin attack. Mace could’ve been at 40 hp or less, but instead he remained at 120. With Dr E's help Mace then went to town on Atton and the JBM while Rex killed Lobot and more fodder. By this point all my attack pieces were on David’s side of the board and he was in full retreat; it was just another round or two before the rest of his pieces were finished off, with the final strike being GOWK’s game-ending Force Push on Bastilla. That Force Push in the middle of the map is what really broke things open…until then, it was really tense. 15pts, 5-0 on the day. I love Mace. :)

I didn’t know what to expect going into the tournament, but it turns out that Mace was a good choice because he can wreck the OR in the right circumstances. But it does take some careful timing; as one of my opponents said, “When it’s Mace vs OR it’s either ‘I kill you or you kill me,’” and I think that’s correct. Unless you can put some damage on Carth/Atton beforehand, you’re taking a huge risk to send Mace in, because ABM means that his 22 Defense won’t hold up for long vs their 40- and 50-dmg shots. If the piece you don’t kill can hit some return shots and then wins initiative the next round, Mace is cooked. GOWK is a great support for Mace…not just because of the CE (which is always nice), but because he can take point and absorb shots until it’s time to move in.

Major props to all my opponents; they played well and were very enjoyable to game with. More than once I heard them say that they'd love to have more regular Vassal tourneys, and I agree. We'll have to see what we can do about that.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:51 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

thereisnotry wrote:
Zam Wessel, Bounty Hunter
Cost 44

HP 90
DEF 19
ATK +11
DAM 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Double Attack
Bounty Hunter +4 [+4 Attack against Unique enemies]
Careful Shot +6 [On this character's turn, if she doesn't move, she gets +6 Attack]
Cloaked [If this character has cover, she cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies]
Final Shot [On this character's turn, if she doesn't move, she gets +30 Damage against enemies with 50 or fewer Hit Points remaining]
Missiles 30 [Replaces attacks: sight; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11]
Rigged Detonators [Characters in or adjacent to a square with low objects automatically fail saves against this character's attacks and abilities]
Single-Shot Blaster [This character cannot gain Twin Attack]
Sniper [Other characters do not provide cover against this character's attack]

"I hit the ship, but they used a decoy."

Interesting - she has a lot of tricks up her sleeve. That Rigged Detonators is a really cool ability.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, it's deadly with Missiles 30. She'll be lots of fun in Tile Wars too. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:28 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, it's deadly with Missiles 30. She'll be lots of fun in Tile Wars too. :)

It's a nice little counter to Naboo Pilots too, isn't it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

thereisnotry wrote:
I love Mace. :)

Major props to all my opponents; they played well and were very enjoyable to game with. More than once I heard them say that they'd love to have more regular Vassal tourneys, and I agree. We'll have to see what we can do about that.... :)

Mace is such an awesome piece and he's so much fun to field.

As for regular tournies, I think that sounds like an excellent idea, especially after Gencon and we move towards the colder months where being inside for an extended period sounds like a good idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next